Cold bathroom

Soldato
We moved into this house in september last year and im slowly working my way thru the house fixing all the previous owners bodges with such gems as 2x 120mm holes for the kitchen extractor that were in the wrong place and then were sealed only by a piece of cardboard and then filled and painted over (could be seen from outside looking thru the holes)

Now to the problem. The downstairs toilet has always been freezing cold despite having its own radiator and underfloor heating. I thought i would remove the cover on the in wall cistern thing and found this monstorous bodge where they have basically broken into the cavity to find the soil pipe and just left the entire thing open to the cavity. Always wondered why you can basically feed the wind blowing in this room.

i1PzJWM.jpg lg4YHqo.jpg Gbg5cIi.jpg

Now how on earth can i fix this, obviously i dont intend to rip the toilet and tiling etc out so it wont be fixed properly but i need a best case scenario fix.

Should i buy a few rolls of insulation and ram it down there as much as possible and fill the area around the cistern with it aswell?

Soldato
That doesn't appear to go anywhere near the cavity (the soil pipe wouldn't be in the cavity anyway). You've got an internal soil pipe that's boxed in as you'd expect. They've knocked a hole into the side of the box.

Soldato
Dont use expanding foam, creates a nightmare down the road. The suggestion of rockwool (the fluffy loft insulation) is a good one. Use a broomhandle to manipulate it if your hand wont fit (and wear a dust mask+goggles when doing it)

Tea Drinker
Don
Dont use expanding foam, creates a nightmare down the road. The suggestion of rockwool (the fluffy loft insulation) is a good one. Use a broomhandle to manipulate it if your hand wont fit (and wear a dust mask+goggles when doing it)

There's push fit plumbing in there I wouldn't suggest anyone starts ramming a broom handle in there. With expanding foam he can leave it all well alone and spray it in there. It's messy yes but easily cut out with a knife later

Soldato
There's push fit plumbing in there I wouldn't suggest anyone starts ramming a broom handle in there. With expanding foam he can leave it all well alone and spray it in there. It's messy yes but easily cut out with a knife later

Eeek, didnt see that! Dont use a brook handle.
There looks to be enough room to gently maneuver it into place by hand.. if so, do that. Can always remove it later.

Be careful with expanding foam, it can exert a surprising amount of force as it expands!! Seen it break/fail plasterboard when someone injected it into the gap between wall and plasterboard in an attempt to insulate.
And any leaks/work in the future will become a hellish nighmare of attempting to remove it, plumber/workers hating you....

Soldato
Is cutting a piece of plaster board and slotting it in an option, one on the right and a smaller one to fit around the pipe on the left? Hard to tell in the pic if it something worth considering.

Soldato
OP
Put the top back on an silicone it properly.

Are you feeling any draughts from that area.

Yes draughts but i know why, there is a hole
Drilled directly to the outside for what i assume used to be an old overflow.

Im hapy to foam fill this hole on the outside and then some mortar over the top, as per the op its not the first random hole ive found in the house. And i think ill buy a roll of loft insulation and fill the hole and around the cistern as much as possible and see if it solves it at all.

Back
Top Bottom