• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Permabanned
I wouldn't bother with a X version. First, because I can overclock the chip myself for free, and second, because the performance difference isn't worth it.

Soldato
I wouldn't bother with a X version. First, because I can overclock the chip myself for free, and second, because the performance difference isn't worth it.

But you're not an average user, are you. Which is entirely the point I was making. If every PC owner knew how, or were inclined to, overclock then there wouldn't be any need for X series Ryzen CPUs. But until that day, there will always be some form of extra binned product with the best clocks.

Associate
The 2700 was not a good buy compared to the 2700x as there was only arpund £30 difference in launch price, while the 2700x is better binned and comes with a much better stock cooler.

Soldato
...I really don't see how this new gaming platform can fail...

Apart from heavily metered connections in the US, throttle-happy ISPs in the UK, insufficient bandwidth pretty much everywhere to deliver 60fps content, the big push (rightly or wrongly) for players to move past 60Hz on their gaming screens, the grotesque latency you'll see in controls, the fact that latency will immediately preclude any genre that requires quick input from a satisfactory experience, no game modding, the fact that consoles already exist, etc. etc.

It's not a checkmate move. Google will do this to make money. Yes, they like a lot of open source and sharing which mates very well with AMD, but I bet you the second Intel turn around and offer "good enough" servers for less money than AMD they'll jump. The second Intel or Nvidia offer "good enough" GPUs for less money they'll jump.

Soldato
Hmm... Who is that guy in the video?

Render farms will reduce market capitalisation I imagine. No one wants that, least the investors.

It's another avenue, but will not replace the home GPU revenue stream

Soldato
Says who? What is the home user revenue stream compared to the number of gamers that could be tapped into this way and therefore the overall market size.

Soldato
Apart from heavily metered connections in the US, throttle-happy ISPs in the UK, insufficient bandwidth pretty much everywhere to deliver 60fps content, the big push (rightly or wrongly) for players to move past 60Hz on their gaming screens, the grotesque latency you'll see in controls, the fact that latency will immediately preclude any genre that requires quick input from a satisfactory experience, no game modding, the fact that consoles already exist, etc. etc.
You forgot fashionable mobile/wireless "broadband" networks pushed to people relying on not too many people using it at same time.

Caporegime
OP
BofAML raises AMD on margin potential

Bank of America Merrill Lynch reiterates a Buy rating on AMD (AMD -1.7%) and raises its PT from $30 to $35 saying that while cyclical headwinds exist for H1, gross margins are expected to expand in 2020.

Analyst Vivek Arya cites the "potential for more benign price competition with key rival Intel (INTC -0.3%)," where the new management is more focused on FCF and 5G than pressuring AMD on pricing.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3449039-bofaml-raises-amd-margin-potential#email_link

Caporegime
OP
Cowen raises AMD on better positioning

Cowen raises its AMD (NASDAQ:AMD) price target from $28 to $33 citing increased confidence in its competitive position against Intel (NASDAQ:INTC).

The firm believes near-term product launches will inflect in H2, showing early signs of long-term EPS and revenue power.

Cowen thinks AMD can take a more material portion of 7nm x86 PC and CPU TAM.

Rating maintained at Outperform.

AMD is expected to report earnings on April 24. Analysts estimate $1.26B in revenue with $0.06 EPS.

AMD shares are up 0.9% pre-market to $27.49.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3449623-cowen-raises-amd-better-positioning#email_link

Back
Top Bottom