Mountain Biking

Soldato
I have a pair of Superstar DHX 26 inch wheels that im due to put up for sale.
I'm probably best running the whole bike into the ground, then replacing most of it. Frame, dropper post, wheels, drive-train will all need doing at some point. The brakes (Hope Tech M4 and V2) and forks (Rockshox Lyrics RCT3 solo air 20mm) are all still like new, unlikely my CC DB Air will fit what ever new frame i get.
The dropper has noticeable play in it but i refuse to pay 50% of the total cost to service it. Wheels are dented and generally old, drive-train SRAM XX1 is mostly fine for now.

Just seems in the time i have been off the bike, everything has changed specs and its getting hard to find bits that still fit. I had a quick look at the new Nomad frames and they seem silly money, actually wouldn't mind a change to the 5010 CC frame, think i paid about £1500 for my Nomad 2 frame, they all seem double the price now.

Soldato
On the subject of tyres, I’m looking to convert my Norco Fluid to tubeless.

Struggling to find information about the best 27.5+ tyres online, but would people recommend the Hans Dampf front/rear to cover most conditions?

Would the tyre below be tubeless ready? Then if just need a tubeless kit (valves/tape/sealant) and away I go?

https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-Tire-H...80-ADDIX-SpeedGrip-EVO-SnakeSkin-TL-Easy-2019

Soldato
@Megahurtz400 That tyre is tubeless ready. Just requires sealant. What rims do you have?

You're right though, a tubeless kit and tyre and away you go. TESA 4289 tape is an alternative if you didn't want to splash out on a kit. Up to you.

Cheers :) Is the Hans Dampf the tyre to go for for riding in most conditions? Mostly ride around Essex so not too much rough rocky terrain but going Coed Y Brenin later in the year and want to get out to some trail centres too.

Rims are Alloy XD26 30mm 650B Plus 32H, on this https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-fluid-2-ht-nx-eagle-2019-mountain-bike-EV337730

Soldato
I rate the Hans Dampf myself. I run it on the rear all year round on both bikes with a Magic Mary on the front. Hans Dampf should be fine on the front unless it's quite muddy / sloppy.

Soldato
Yeah Hans Dampf rear, Magic Mary front would suit year round UK trails, if it's proper UK winter then maybe a Maxxis shorty front and DHR II rear, but the shorty is a bit too much for all year round. Or of course there's the classic DHF front, DHR II rear.

I've had a DHF 2.3 rear and DHF 2.5 WT front on my bike since summer, I haven't felt the need for much more grip even in the depths of winter.

Associate
tried a few differant tyres but have always ended up going back to a DHR11 rear and the DHF 2.5 WT front and its good all year round, the 2.5 shorty only goes on the front if i'm at a very muddy race. as i'm in the lakes the rear is a DD run with a liner in it.

Soldato
Rode Lady Bower in the Peak District on Saturday, potato alley was a great laugh. T-shirt weather. Great day for a ride, but the winter legs felt it afterwards. Only done 300k so far this year with not a great deal of hard climbing.

Soldato
Well ended up buying a Voodoo Biziango for myself and a Maji for the girlfriend. After stacking some discounts £490 and £410, maybe some cashback too. For those prices I couldn't see anything else that came close

Soldato
Off to North Wales end of May with some non-mtb friends.

Will be taking a few of them to Coed-Y-Brenin for some trail centre goodness, but can anyone recommend a fun loop near Dolgellau that I could get out early to one morning?

I’ve looked at Cadair Idris, but I’ll be on my hardtail and looks like it’ll shake me stupid :(

Ideally something natural with some panoramic views that I could smash out in 3/4 hours after getting up mega early for?

Ske

Ske

Associate
Off to North Wales end of May with some non-mtb friends.

Will be taking a few of them to Coed-Y-Brenin for some trail centre goodness, but can anyone recommend a fun loop near Dolgellau that I could get out early to one morning?

I’ve looked at Cadair Idris, but I’ll be on my hardtail and looks like it’ll shake me stupid :(

Ideally something natural with some panoramic views that I could smash out in 3/4 hours after getting up mega early for?

I've only ridden up norf once and that was at Coed-y-Brenin. Maybe worth checking out the Marin trail or Penmachno (both maybe a tad too far away if you're in Dolgellau though). Dinas Mawddwy isn't too far from Dolgellau and that's where they hold Hardline.. Maybe worth a look? :p perhaps check out Trailforks before you go and see what tickles your fancy?

Soldato
I've only ridden up norf once and that was at Coed-y-Brenin. Maybe worth checking out the Marin trail or Penmachno (both maybe a tad too far away if you're in Dolgellau though). Dinas Mawddwy isn't too far from Dolgellau and that's where they hold Hardline.. Maybe worth a look? :p perhaps check out Trailforks before you go and see what tickles your fancy?

Downloaded Trailforks this morning and trying to get my head around the app haha!

Back
Top Bottom