Standalone osx installation on usb drive

Associate
I wondered if it's possible to install an additional copy of OS X on to a usb drive and boot in to it, so I have a pretty much fully functioning operating system on a usb drive.
The aim is to have a 64GB (or 128 whatever works best) usb drive and use virtual box (or another option if there is a better one) to create an OS X installation and put High Sierra on it and I would be able to boot in it when I turn my MBP pro on.
In doing this, would I be able to install games or whatever without using the space on the SSD in my MBP? As I want to preserve what space I have on it I thought this would be the best way of doing it, but I'm not entirely sure if it's possible
All seems straight forward enough, am I close? have I missed something? Got it totally wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I would say yes.

When I upgraded my MBP HD to a SSD I used a USB SATA adapter and booted off the original HD without issue, installed the SSD and used SuperDuper! to copy the install over.

SuperDuper! is a great tool for Mac's ;)

Commissario
Yes, as above I’ve cloned my installation to a USB stick and booted from it without any problems. I also used SuperDupee! but Carbon Copy Cloner will do it as well.

Not sure why you’re suggesting using a VM.

Soldato
As above USB sticks not really suited for running an OS from but an external SSD would be ideal. My old iMac at home runs off an external SDD and then I use the internal mechanical drive for vernal storage.

Back
Top Bottom