F1 2019 - News & Rumours

Associate
I like the idea of fastest lap point for a top 10 finisher. 21 points over the year means the top teams really will have to pay attention to it, even if its just their 2nd drivers that nab it so the main contenders don't.

Yes I quite like the idea as well but I do think it's going to be grabbed by whichever Ferrari or Merc driver that's running in 4th 30 secs ahead of the rest of the pack and too far back to challenge for a podium.

Soldato
There's more of a gap between races this year, Bahrain and China have two weeks between them this year, but was only a week last year. In fact, there's a fortnight gap between every race until June 21st France and then a week later it's Austria. Then back to two weeks before Silverstone. There's 5 races this season which have only a week between them. Last season had 7 races with a week between, plus it had France, followed by Austria followed by Silverstone all with only a week between.

Soldato
You haven’t read the link. It’s for top 10 finishers only.
You're right I haven't. I heard it on a youtube F1 channel where that wasn't mentioned (or I didn't notice).

However the point still stands. By the end of the race, cars out of the top six could easily be a lap down. Especially if they've made an additional pit stop for fresh ultras.

Not that I'm against it. More drama an all.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
By the end of the race, cars out of the top six could easily be a lap down.

You know, I was going to post a snarky 'well, how many times did that happen last year?'...but thinking about it for rather more than five seconds, I do seem to remember it happened quite a few times in the end.

Bahrain certainly, and Spain. Canada I think? Austria definitely (only the podium cars were on the lead lap at the end!). Mexico. And a bunch of other races where at least one car in the top 10 wasn't on the lead lap.

Caporegime
Only just saw this myself...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47497979

Facepalm.

It's been in F1 before and exists in many other series. Personally I don't see the issue. Many times there are gaps between drivers that they know they'll never be able to close down in the number of laps remaining but teams and drivers now can't cruise round 3/4 of the way through the race. 21 points could easily be the difference between even winning or third place if the championship is tight. The teams won't ignore this, especially late in the race and season and could see drivers binning it going for the fastest lap to minimise their points loss.

Man of Honour
Seems fine to me. You have to finish in the top10 and it is only a single point, which reduces the chance of abuse (e.g. running an extremely light fuel load and hypersoft tyres so you can set a fastest lap with no intention of completing the race). I guess you could get a scenario on tighter circuits where it is harder to overtake like Monaco where a race leader deliberately holds up a chasing driver to prevent them from setting a fastest lap i.e. once you've got that in the bag you just lead a procession round so the only way they can set a fastest lap is by overtaking or potentially dropping back so far (to build up a buffer to speed into) that they leave DRS zone or come under threat from other drivers. Someone further back could have course set a new fastest lap on fresh tyres and reduced fuel load but it could at least prevent a direct championship rival from getting it.

What I think will be interesting is whether it affects strategy at all; logically one could imagine it increases the potential benefit from reducing the length of the final stint so you have good tyres at the point in the race when the car is lightest and potentially the least traffic to contend with. My feeling is that the rewards are too slim to make that worthwhile

Permabanned
An interesting article:

Has Ferrari already lost the championship? 4 scenarios out of the crisis
The failure of the "Ferrari" in Melbourne - a one-time failure or a hint of global problems that may be worth the title?

At the Australian Grand Prix season, which opened the Australian Grand Prix, the Ferrari racers took fourth and fifth places - this is the first time in five years when, following the results of the first race of the season, there was not a single Scuderia pilot on the podium. The team insists that the new car in Melbourne has not demonstrated its potential, but they find it difficult to name the causes of the problems and promise to perform at a higher level in Bahrain. We speculate how it is possible and what are the scenarios for further developments

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://www.championat.com/auto/article-3709361-formula-1-v-sezone-2019-pochemu-ferrari-otstajot-ot-mersedesa.html

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If by interesting, you mean click bait... then yes.

Let’s wait until more than 1 race before writing off the team :rolleyes:

Permabanned
A miracle won't happen. Why clickbait when there is some serious analysis in the article. Regarding the max speed by each engine, the microvibrations from the asphalt as a possible cause the front wing not working, etc.

Caporegime
A miracle won't happen. Why clickbait when there is some serious analysis in the article. Regarding the max speed by each engine, the microvibrations from the asphalt as a possible cause the front wing not working, etc.

THat's not analysis of anything they know, it's randomly rumours that popped up over the weekend.

For one thing the exhaust issue was something that only effected Haas and only in qualifying and is why they had some power drop out. This wasn't the symptom Ferrari showed at all. The microvibration thing is bogus, while Barcelona is currently very smooth, the wing wasn't designed in Barcelona nor only tested in Barcelona. It was designed and tested in a lab and in a wind tunnel which can easily simulate vibration. Unless randomly for the first year ever Ferrari made a wing that wasn't tested with any track vibration at all despite only a couple tracks being as smooth then it's a completely nonsensical idea in the first place. Also if microvibrations effected their wing, it would have effected their wings every year along with everyone else.

The article manages to just throw every single rumour they heard against the wall and 'analyse' if it's a unique to Australia or could be a problem at other tracks without considering the stupidity of the rumour or other information that disproves one of their 'scenarios'. It could also be 100 other things that they didn't list. It provides no reasonable insight into the problems, just randomly stabs in the dark and poorly at that.

Permabanned
THat's not analysis of anything they know, it's randomly rumours that popped up over the weekend.

For one thing the exhaust issue was something that only effected Haas and only in qualifying and is why they had some power drop out. This wasn't the symptom Ferrari showed at all. The microvibration thing is bogus, while Barcelona is currently very smooth, the wing wasn't designed in Barcelona nor only tested in Barcelona. It was designed and tested in a lab and in a wind tunnel which can easily simulate vibration. Unless randomly for the first year ever Ferrari made a wing that wasn't tested with any track vibration at all despite only a couple tracks being as smooth then it's a completely nonsensical idea in the first place. Also if microvibrations effected their wing, it would have effected their wings every year along with everyone else.

The article manages to just throw every single rumour they heard against the wall and 'analyse' if it's a unique to Australia or could be a problem at other tracks without considering the stupidity of the rumour or other information that disproves one of their 'scenarios'. It could also be 100 other things that they didn't list. It provides no reasonable insight into the problems, just randomly stabs in the dark and poorly at that.

Briatore says: "Compared to last year, nothing has changed at all. Ferrari has lost no ground on Mercedes, but also no good. But beware - the Grand Prix of Australia is atypical, due to the slope layout. We have experienced this again and again in recent years. At the same time, if you drive as hard as Mercedes in Australia, then you're strong everywhere. Now, the book of apologies will probably open again with the others. "

"In the form of Melbourne, Ferrari has to make up eight or nine tenths. I say: Mercedes will continue to dominate. They are used to victory and the rest to follow. What did not work at Ferrari in Australia? Everything has to be right - driver, car, tire use. That's not a driver's championship anymore, it's a tire management world championship. When I put the TV in, I only hear from the commentators tires, tires, tires. But instead I only want to see gladiators delivering a wonderful fight! "

Briatore said of the 2018 World Cup: "Ferrari had the opportunity to win the title. You just had to put more pressure on Hamilton, maybe you could have driven him into a mistake. But the truth is: Ferrari has not been able to build that pressure. "

" The recipe for success is winning the races you have to win and finishing on the podium at the other Grands Prix, when the car is not quite victorious, thanks the right strategy. With the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel Fernando Alonso would have become world champion. Back then, we became World Champion twice with Renault, so the car was not as good as the 2018 Ferrari. "

- Mehr bei SPEEDWEEK: https://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/140660/Flavio-Briatore-zu-Ferrari-Keine-Fahrer-WM-mehr.html

Permabanned
Again, that's not news. There is not one single objective fact in those four paragraphs. They are entirely the opinion of Flav... and that's it. I'm not sure what the purpose of your post was.

The purpose is to prove that the Championship is over, and Ferrari are done.

Back
Top Bottom