Subwoofer recommendations

Associate
I've owned a Tannoy TFX 5.1 speaker package for the last five years and use it primarily for watching movies, gaming, and listening to music. It is connected to a Pioneer VSX-323 AV receiver. The speakers still work fine, but the subwoofer has packed in so I am looking for a replacement.

Some people have recommended subwoofers from BK Electronics such as the XLS200 and P12-300SB, but would I get the most out of these with my current entry-level setup? I am hoping to upgrade my speakers and AV system eventually.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Associate
OP
It's a small room, roughly 3x3 meters but I might be moving into a larger room in the future. I'm an action movie lover. Ideally, I don't want to spend more than £300, but I have never bought a subwoofer individually before so I'm not sure what the right amount is to spend relative to my current setup. On the other hand, I would like something future proof as I want to eventually upgrade my speakers and AV receiver. Not sure about the difference between sealed or ported.

Soldato
100% get a BK sub,you can get the biggest one you can for your budget (perhaps go 2nd hand) and turn the sub down until you get it into a bigger room ?

Associate
OP
Are there any particular models you recommend? Do you think I would get the most out of them with my Pioneer VSX-323 receiver and Tannoy TFX speakers?

Soldato
Are there any particular models you recommend? Do you think I would get the most out of them with my Pioneer VSX-323 receiver and Tannoy TFX speakers?
Not sure what one and I’m sure someone with knowledge about the subs will be along soon but I know BK get some very very good reviews.

Soldato
Take a look on eBay at the Bk subs, b grade £330 -£350 gets you a P12-300SB or the new double gem, either would be epic in a 3x3m room. A little more than your budget but worth it, especially as you move to larger room in the future.

Soldato
Bk Gemini bit too weedy.

For that size room a sealed would be suitable ie bk xls 400 or svs sb-2000.

In a bigger room you may want a higher end sealed sub or a ported sub.

I've owned a few subs mostly svs from svs SB 12 plus, pc plus 12, pc ultra 13, and SB ultra 13.

The higher end sealed sub worked better in my old same size as yours and it has headroom in a big room too.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. Would a P12 be too high-end for my current system? Bearing in mind I paid around £300 for the Tannoy TFX 5.1 speaker package and £150 for the AV receiver. What would an ideal spending ratio normally be between the AV receiver, speakers, and subwoofer for example to get the best results?

Have also been keeping an eye out for a P12 on eBay but they never seem to have any in plain black and FF!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks for the suggestions. Would a P12 be too high-end for my current system? Bearing in mind I paid around £300 for the Tannoy TFX 5.1 speaker package and £150 for the AV receiver. What would an ideal spending ratio normally be between the AV receiver, speakers, and subwoofer for example to get the best results?

Have also been keeping an eye out for a P12 on eBay but they never seem to have any in plain black and FF!

You can spend as much or as little as you like. To give you detailed information as to make a better decision read on;

Speakers are built to do a specific job - subwoofers (bass - low frequencies), tweeters (mid - high frequencies), mid bass drivers (low - mid).

So when it comes to subwoofers you want something that is really good at producing low frequencies and nothing else. This requires big massive drivers when compared to tweeters and mid range woofers. Ideally you want the sub to be doing 120hz and everything below that too. Size is everything for a subwoofer. The bigger the driver then it can move more air easily and replicate the frequencies properly.

Biggers drivers means more money. But also louder too. But that doesn't mean you can't turn them down.

For me I would say buy the best you can afford right now regardless of what your amp and other speakers cost. As they have no relevance as the subwoofer is doing a different job.

It's like saying I have a £15 hammer and a £300 drill how much should i spend on a saw. Well it has no real impact apart from it would be stupid to have a £10K sub with a £300 amp and £250 seperates as you would get a much more balanced system if you spent £5K on a sub and the other £5K on the amp and seperates.

I bought an XXLS400 my AVR was double the price of my subwoofer but my seperates cost me same as my subwoofer. I bought AVR new and everything else second hand but the XXLS400 was brand new the guy bought it and decided he didn't want it. He gave me the receipt which was 1 month old and it was still fully boxed. So he had it for less than 30 days in his possession and decided to go down a different route.

Personally I would go for any BK sub they are all good for the money. The p12 300sb is probably the best for movies after the monolith. the XXLS400 is the best all rounder (music and movies).

Associate
OP
XXLS400 is out of my price range unfortunately.

Is there a significant difference between the XLS200 and P12-300SB? I've been hoping to get a discounted P12-300SB FF in black which normally sell for around £330 on eBay. but there haven't been any listed for a long time and the seller doesn't know when they are likely to have one available. BK currently sell the XLS200 new for £339.95.

Soldato
I've got a Gemini 2 in my lounge and even at half gain it sounds stonking to my ears. It's a fairly small room (tiny 2 bed house), I'm running Wharfdale Diamond 9.1s at the front 9.0 rears with a Yamaha VSX932 amp in a 4.1 setup. It's got more than adequate punch (anything more and my neighbours would be making noise complaints non stop), is nice and compact and not at all boomy unless I crank the gain up to match (which is just overpowering compared to the rest of the sound).

Unless you are planning on spending thousands of pounds on amps and other speakers I'd say a Gemini would do you fine. I'd expect it to be a massive step up from what you have. Sure it's not going to compete with the models that are twice the price that others are recommending, but they're not going to sound twice as good. The idea of you being recommended a £300+ sub to go with an old entry level amp with a speaker set that sounds like a set of small satellites is utterly bonkers to me right now unless you are already committing to spend well beyond a thousand pounds!

Associate
OP
That is the dilhema I'm having. I fear that if I spend too much on a sub I won't get the most out of it with my current setup. But I've owned my current setup for five years now so I might be upgrading the speakers and AV receiver eventually and would want the sub to be future proof. To be honest, I'm surprised how good the speakers and AV receiver sound considering they are "entry level." I've been told before it isn't worth getting a sub with a driver that's less than 12"?

Man of Honour
I'd echo a lot of what Pink Floyd is saying.

Yes, for those who have experienced what's possible with subs that could make the Big Bad Wolf look like an asthmatic then sure, something like a Gemini or most 8"and 10" subs won't cut it. I am sure the same is true for those who are used to flying first class, or driving a Bentley etc.

There is some value in saying "Buy the best you can afford". It does work out cheaper in the long run.

An XLS200 is better than a Gemini, but before the Double Gem was launched many buyers skipped over the 200 and went straight to the XXLS400.

What you have to be aware of is the lower frequency limit of your surround speakers. The bigger the sub then the harder it is for it to reach a blend frequency suitable for smaller satellite speakers.

Back
Top Bottom