Road Cycling

Soldato
@Roady checking in here.

Smashing it at the chainy tonight even after doing an extra 1.5 laps doing my mates workout. Found my legs after a feeling like said mate was Lance Armstrong on Tuesday.

1 min @ 400w
2 min @ 200w or something like that 6 times with longer lower powers and shorter higher powers somewhere in between.

Soldato
Still on Zwift here. Can’t get out in the week till clocks go forward.
To be fair the afternoon sun has been fantastic this past week, annoyingly it hasn't continued much into the evening, but how bright are those evenings getting?! Brilliant to see!

Still in doors, work and weather excuses... Hopefully TR is keeping the fitness I have there ready for the summer Lol
To be fair without Zwift this winter I'd be nowhere. So much of my time is spent with the little one I can easily count on 1 hand the amount of times I went outside for a solo session. Strange as the weather hasn't been particularly bad this winter.

Don't forget @BennyC is here too!

8TvMnGWl.jpg
Whoops, totally forgot him! To be fair I knew you where all going away at some point just hadn't realised it was all together! Have a great time guys, more pics in the holiday thread please! Roads look great!

If your lurgy is what went around here, you will have an on/off lurgy for ~5 weeks, I had to carefully judge how easy to ride from mid Jan to mid Feb, before then gradually pushing towards and just over FTP.

Sod's law, I caught something milder last weekend, bit of muscle fatigue; sore throat; the sniffles. Was planning to taper training down anyway this week, but this meant I've been more cautious, in the hope I feel quite fresh to tackle a hilly Mendips ride on the road bike... If several stars fall into alignment! Failing all else, I'll be hitting the cat3/4s around Longleat on a hire mountain/hybrid bike like last May.

Whatever happens next week, it's going to be nice to finally do some non-commute outdoor hilly riding for the first time as since around January, the hill workouts on the turbo are starting to feel a bit too samey.
Probably a similar one, although I'm sure I've had 2 maybe 3 different things - real flu like symptoms, freezing cold sweating with aches and dizzyness, then the bunged up snotty mess which developed into a chesty cough, which I seemed to catch a head cold/sniffles with as it subsided (similar to yours). I had a couple of days after the first thing when I felt good, but I think a Zwift session then knocked me for six and made the following one worse. Suffice to say I'm into the 4th week of it, bored of it now, although I've felt good enough to ride hard (or on Zwift) the last week/10 days I've held off to be sure of clearing things. Just no lung capacity with it, even if feeling ok. Miserable March for me so far! This saturdays club run will make or break me.

@Roady checking in here.

Smashing it at the chainy tonight even after doing an extra 1.5 laps doing my mates workout. Found my legs after a feeling like said mate was Lance Armstrong on Tuesday.

1 min @ 400w
2 min @ 200w or something like that 6 times with longer lower powers and shorter higher powers somewhere in between.
Strong numbers mate and some good volume, but hell I'd be bored of that stretch of A80 by now! :p;)

Soldato
To be fair without Zwift this winter I'd be nowhere. So much of my time is spent with the little one I can easily count on 1 hand the amount of times I went outside for a solo session. Strange as the weather hasn't been particularly bad this winter.

The weather's not been any where near as bad as last year but on the days I can get out for a cycle its either been far too cold or raining. Being a fair weather cyclist it just doesn't work for me lol

On the bright side my FTP has risen slightly with the TR workout plans :)

Soldato
Strong numbers mate and some good volume, but hell I'd be bored of that stretch of A80 by now! :p;)

To be fair it's just a blur to me, either I'm admiring whatever brand of hub is infront of me or if I'm off the front then it's just like a rough looking treadmill below my bike.

Didn't even get a chance to take in the beef tub climb on Sunday as I was sat staring at a bright red tune hub for most of it haha.

Soldato
I've been riding my Summer bike for most of the winter with the Pinnacle being out of action and not got annoyed at having to clean it all the time or getting a soggy bottom!

Change the gear cable on it last night, forget how nice it is having silky smooth changes, I so need Di2 on more of my bikes!

Soldato
I managed a 30 minute turbo spin at about 50% RPE on Tuesday night as I felt my l lurgy had eased. Down to an occasional cough now. Week away next week, so hopefully once back home I'll be back to full health.

Soldato
@UTmaniac one for you to keep an eye out for - https://twitter.com/TfL/status/1107959381197578240 :cool:

There's a FB video of WSM Eddie Hall cycling. Pretty hillarious as isn't he like 200kg's? He gets beeped by a car driver and flicks the bird. Proving there really no limit to the stupidity of car drivers lol - https://road.cc/content/news/257971...sue-cycling-fan-over-trademark-sued-copyright

On the bright side my FTP has risen slightly with the TR workout plans :)
Wish mine was on the rise! Anyone know if I can buy FTP increases anywhere? Maybe on the dark web? can get everything from there according to the media :lol: :D

Didn't even get a chance to take in the beef tub climb on Sunday as I was sat staring at a bright red tune hub for most of it haha.
Haha made me laugh, hadn't realised just how much of an 'enthusiast' you where until that! ;) :D

Change the gear cable on it last night, forget how nice it is having silky smooth changes, I so need Di2 on more of my bikes!
Really looking forward to it as an absolute must on the next bike...

I'm currently day 3 into tweaking my FD to eliminate chain rub. Must be far too much flex in these original Praxis rings (switched back to now my C1 is sent away) for it to be perfect in the stand, yet utterly dire for the sprockets 2-3 either end of the cassette when actually ridden. Bored of tweaking it now and need to get it sorted for the morning. Anyone indexed a FD using some kinda 'spacer' between the chain and FD side plates to allow for flex? Going to try it later just unsure what kinda width to play with, couple of sheets of paper or a credit card?

Actually may have just realised my mistake. I've obviously changed the rings between brands/sizings and I've been tweaking the upper limit screw without adjusting the lower. The fact I can't get the upper right, it's probably too far off the inside of the lower so my tweaking is too much around the upper limit of it's range. Decrease the lower to give more room for the upper. :rolleyes:

I managed a 30 minute turbo spin at about 50% RPE on Tuesday night as I felt my l lurgy had eased. Down to an occasional cough now. Week away next week, so hopefully once back home I'll be back to full health.
Fingers crossed! To be fair you might even find a different climate helps you - I've found a really steamy hot bathroom really helps to shift things! To be fair the generic supermarket 'cold & flu relief' type tablets have really helped with my decongestance and clearing things. I'm sure it's not really not healthy to be taking them for several weeks (as I did) but for the past few days it's just a couple to clear things in the afternoon and that's all I've needed. Feel a hell of a lot better now not also dosed up on cough syrup/benylin type things too!

Last edited:
Soldato
Good to see @BennyC and @Shamrock having a good time in Sierra Nevada, I loved my week there. So much better than Mallorca, the MAMIL quotient was immeasurably better and felt like I was actually on holiday rather than dropping in on the Chopper CC training camp.

Random Q for those with disc brake bikes, how hard is it to remove and refit hydraulic cables? I'm looking at switching to internally routed bars but not sure how much pain it's going to cause.

Soldato
Random Q for those with disc brake bikes, how hard is it to remove and refit hydraulic cables? I'm looking at switching to internally routed bars but not sure how much pain it's going to cause.

It's simple to do but a lot more work than cable brakes.
You'll need new compression fittings to refit the hose (they are designed to crush into place to seal up and cant be reused) and probably a bleed kit as well.

Soldato
Looking at buying a disc wheel, £300-400 used. Find a decent looking one on eBay, has slight wobble.

Can I see it? - No I’m letting auction run....I’m away all weekend...

Looking on eBay and timetrialling forum, anywhere else?

Soldato
A quick question... my front tyre is a pain to inflate as it seems to have a bent presta valve bit so it’s not working properly (keeps air in fine) so plan to get a core remover and a new valve. As it’s a tubeless setup will I need new sealant? I’m hoping the tyre will stay on the rim ok and seat properly when reinflating but wonder if I’ll lose the sealant when the air escapes!?

Soldato
A quick question... my front tyre is a pain to inflate as it seems to have a bent presta valve bit so it’s not working properly (keeps air in fine) so plan to get a core remover and a new valve. As it’s a tubeless setup will I need new sealant? I’m hoping the tyre will stay on the rim ok and seat properly when reinflating but wonder if I’ll lose the sealant when the air escapes!?

The "core" is the centre of the valve (the little screw bit which is bent) and different from the "valve" which is the whole valve assembly.
If you're just replacing the core, you'll need the core remover and it can be done from the outside.
If you're replacing the whole valve, you dont need a core remover but you need to unseat the tyre and replace the core from the inside.
You probably won't lose any sealant with either option.

Soldato
Went out yesterday for a ‘quick spin’ with a mate. It turned into a very hilly 110km ride with 2500m of climbing. I can certainly feel it in my legs today!

Did he tell you it was a quick spin & then choose the route?! Get your own back in a few weeks time.... ;)

I actually rode outside today! Nice weather this morning, did almost 70km it was windy but fine, few hills at the end (ones where I got a nice tailwind assist!).

Picked up some Rapha Core bibs from the Manchester store, I already have one pair and don’t think the high end ones are worth over double.

Won a new disc wheel on eBay later for a good price so all in all a decent day!

Soldato
Won a new disc wheel on eBay later for a good price so all in all a decent day!

What did you win on eBay? I've been on the prowl for weeks and nothing worth bidding on. Anything that is goes for Ridiculous money.

Got a FFWD offered to me for £400. It is brand new, 2x10's covered only and seems a good buy to me. I'll just struggle without using PayPal finance which I could get via eBay auctions. So an annoying situation.

Check out the time trial for sale page on Facebook also by the way. I seen a Zipp Super 9 11-spd tub for sale on there the other day for £750!! That is an absolute bargain, they go for £1400+ second hand.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1563231883955770/

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/2234016603

Had a good club ride on saturday, really thought I would struggle more than I did. Legs felt good so put a few efforts in, even getting a 3rd best PR up Haugh woods which was a nice surprise (local tester of a climb so ridden it loads). Riding without power I found really interesting, didn't focus on pacing anything (knowing the only things I had going for me was low recent volume & being able to hold threshold HR), so just riding by feel, closing gaps and chasing wheels. Legs only popped on one of the last digs back towards town (a 20% pitch) when an overtaking car caught me out and I couldn't carry my speed. Amazing weather, cooling wind but nice sunshine.

Sunday here was amazing, took the little guy to the safari park - loved it! :D :cool:

As mentioned, can be a fiddle. I'd get LBS to do it personally, although the newer Shamino fittings are meant to make things loads easier than previous - think they have non-return valves or something.

Thanks, maybe too much faff for a training bike since I don’t have the fittings or bleed kit. Maybe a job for another time. :)
Bleed kit is easy and worth getting. Although I wouldn't buy the whole Shimano kit (get the cheaper/other brand ones with syringes), but get the Shimano funnel.

Just make sure you do it with the vale at the top of the tyre - so the sealant is all in the lower! Tyre should stay on the rim if you deflate it slowly.

Cheers both! It is the core I need to replace, will buy a tool (Halfords let me down as didn’t have one) and crack on!
I've got the cheapy £1.50 Lifeline one (rather than the £10 Park), works perfectly.

Picked up some Rapha Core bibs from the Manchester store, I already have one pair and don’t think the high end ones are worth over double.
Good stuff, much of a discount over the online price? Really like my Core. Kinda wish they did some thermal/winter/water-resistant ones too.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was the March Hare sportive yesterday, and the weather came out for it - the first time it's been dry and sunny on this ride for years.
The route was challenging - 66 miles with 5.5kft of climbing. I misjudged my hydration and was a a little over dressed as the morning warmed up into the afternoon. With 26 miles remaining I had ran out of liquids and had to stop to recover from very painful cramp in the top half of my left leg. Luckily I was able carry on at tempo pace back to the finish.

Strava log here : https://www.strava.com/activities/2236936408

Back
Top Bottom