Is it as easy as just replacing the router

Soldato
Possibly a silly question but I've always been with Virgin so have had to use their routers.

The ADSL router in our restaurant is dropping out and needing rebooting almost daily which is a pain due to running sonos so our music stops too and it takes a good 5 mins to coma back on

Is it just a case of buying a new one and plug and play?

Soldato
Diagnose the issue first, pointless replacing the router if it's a filter/wiring/line issue. Also depends on the ISP, but generally it's quite straight forward if you do need to swap, who are you with and what do you have at present?

Soldato
OP
Diagnose the issue first, pointless replacing the router if it's a filter/wiring/line issue. Also depends on the ISP, but generally it's quite straight forward if you do need to swap, who are you with and what do you have at present?

Slow reply I know!

We are with unicom at the moment and have a technicolor router (poss from utility wharehouse)

Soldato
I personally don’t like Technicolor routers, Plusnet issued them at one point, but despite the horrible UI, they were generally stable from what I saw.

Associate
Slow reply I know!

We are with unicom at the moment and have a technicolor router (poss from utility wharehouse)

As Avalon has mentioned rule out Cables/Wiring/Line issue first.

If you have an analogue (plug in the wall) phone, you should connect this to the Socket when the issue is being experienced via the Filter (assuming you are using a standard Openreach socket) and dial 17070 opt2 to do a 'Quiet Line Test'.

If there is any noise present during this call the noise will be interfering with the Broadband signal. Remove the filter and plug the phone straight into the line socket and repeat. If the noise is still present - call your Line provider and report a noisy line fault. If the noise has gone, grab an RJ11 and Filter from a local hardware store as they're usually only a couple of quid in total and retest.

If you aren't able to perform the above login to the Router via its GUI and search for the Modem/xDSL stats - look for any severe fluctuations in SNR margin as these are a solid indicator the line is suffering noise interference.

Shawrey

Soldato
OP
As Avalon has mentioned rule out Cables/Wiring/Line issue first.

If you have an analogue (plug in the wall) phone, you should connect this to the Socket when the issue is being experienced via the Filter (assuming you are using a standard Openreach socket) and dial 17070 opt2 to do a 'Quiet Line Test'.

If there is any noise present during this call the noise will be interfering with the Broadband signal. Remove the filter and plug the phone straight into the line socket and repeat. If the noise is still present - call your Line provider and report a noisy line fault. If the noise has gone, grab an RJ11 and Filter from a local hardware store as they're usually only a couple of quid in total and retest.

If you aren't able to perform the above login to the Router via its GUI and search for the Modem/xDSL stats - look for any severe fluctuations in SNR margin as these are a solid indicator the line is suffering noise interference.

Shawrey

Ah. Thanks.. I'll give it a go. I'll buy a phone off amazon

Soldato
OP
Still having issues. But they dont seem to last long. But as we are running sonos then when the connection drops the music goes off.

Also the bar is underground so no phone signal. I'm sick of watching the staff on their mobile phones when they should be working. I cant change the password on the current router so if changing is as simple as plug and play then I'm a happy man

Soldato
Still having issues. But they dont seem to last long. But as we are running sonos then when the connection drops the music goes off.

Also the bar is underground so no phone signal. I'm sick of watching the staff on their mobile phones when they should be working. I cant change the password on the current router so if changing is as simple as plug and play then I'm a happy man

So have you checked the line and ruled out the other suggestions? It's very unusual that you can't change the wifi password, what seems to be the problem?

Soldato
OP
We took over a business and even factory resetting the router didn't give us access to it. (no-one could tell us the default password etc.)

I've changed the modem/Router now and its so much better. I ca now use wifi calling and we've had no dropouts. I've also been able to set up Purple portal now to offer free wifi. Which also enables me to throttle the staff's usage. (Bar/Restaurant)

The only issue really was getting our username and password from our ISP.

Back
Top Bottom