New Star Trek series - 2017

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Oh yeah, and in the latest instalment of "Bonehead is a Mary Sue of the worst kind" - the writers of this episode are clearly used to the idea enough to hang a lampshade on it. Pike's quote:

"[She's] going to wake up one day, access time travel technology that doesn't exist yet, and take it upon herself to save the galaxy."

And I genuinely don't know which interpretation to go with on that one. Either the writers of this episode (Chris Silvestri and Anthony Maranville) were fed up of Mary Sue Bonehead and put that line in to show how ridiculous it's gotten...or they're fine with Mary Sue Bonehead, genuinely thought that Pike's line would serve to show how badass she is, and spent the rest of that writing day gleefully tossing themselves off. One suspects that it's the latter, given how the last act of the episode plays out. But the writing on this series is so gloriously inconsistent in quality and tone, so who the hell knows?

Soldato
Is it just me, or is her acting atrocious (Mary sue). Shes got that tell tale sign when she's talking to someone closeup where she's looking at each eye, you can see them flickering it's quite funny.

Soldato
A shame. She was a little cute at the start but that evaporated overnight once Seven came on the scene with her record breaking tight cat suit.

Indeed. I recall at the time, the female sky continuity announcer stated, 'So, the Borg are all from Sweden!' after the episode where the doctor removes all of 7's borg implants and she is lying on her back in the med bay in that catsuit. Smashing.

Soldato
I need to see what happened to Leland again because I was getting some borg injection style tubule vibes after he hit the floor.
Also, yes the Time Crystal - could they have come up with a dumber name?!

Leland looks like the 'virus' from future control had infected their ship, needs to get his voice print signatures to run stuff.
So they've now fallen into the trap set by future evilness, trapping their only saviour the red angel in the process.

I liked the fact it wasn't bonehead, and the future evil virus had played them all along.

Soldato
As soon as they said Burnham is the red angel at the start was a roll eyes moment, glad it's not but it's still tied to Burnham in a way that is making this really turn into Star Trek the Burnham stories.

Wonder if it was control or Giorgio who set the eye thing up with Leland.

Caporegime
Oh yeah, and in the latest instalment of "Bonehead is a Mary Sue of the worst kind" - the writers of this episode are clearly used to the idea enough to hang a lampshade on it. Pike's quote:

"[She's] going to wake up one day, access time travel technology that doesn't exist yet, and take it upon herself to save the galaxy."

And I genuinely don't know which interpretation to go with on that one. Either the writers of this episode (Chris Silvestri and Anthony Maranville) were fed up of Mary Sue Bonehead and put that line in to show how ridiculous it's gotten...or they're fine with Mary Sue Bonehead, genuinely thought that Pike's line would serve to show how badass she is, and spent the rest of that writing day gleefully tossing themselves off. One suspects that it's the latter, given how the last act of the episode plays out. But the writing on this series is so gloriously inconsistent in quality and tone, so who the hell knows?

Mate, if you've hated it for 2 seasons, just watch something else.

Soldato
What a weird episode. Most of it was pretty awful apart from learning who the red angel is. And considering I like most of season 2, it puts into perspective how poor this episode was.

Burnham is so unbelievably self-righteous in this episode it would put Janeway to shame in comparison - and I consider Janeway to be the most self-righteous "holier than thou" character in all of trek.

Actually felt sorry for Leland as it wasn't directly his fault.

Ariam's funeral was kind of weird given we found out about her life in a single episode, then she dies and now the whole crew is eulogising over her. Didn't have much emotional impact.

But yeah, usually I don't mind Burnham as a character but in this episode really got a bit annoying - Spock said it totally straight when describing her in that briefing. I'd actually like to see both her and Tyler (what have they devolved him into... such a lame character now. He was badass when with the klingons at the start, proper Last Samurai vibes especially that awesome combat scene. Now he's a pathetic Section 31 lackey constantly doting over Burnham...) axed from the show to start with some fresh people in season 3 (rest of the crew can stay though).

So the angel is Burnham's mother - interesting though I hope the writers have some good stuff ahead and not what is looking to be kind of cliche with the AI and time travel.

Anyway I hope there's some good resolution to the plot in the next few episodes.

Edit - for the record I appreciate the character building and did enjoy the interaction between Culber/Georgiou/Stammets, that was pretty funny. :D But there was a lot of inconsequential filler.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ariam's funeral had more people than Spock's in Wrath of Khan, and he saved the whole ship.
Yeah it seemed like they were paying tribute to that, but came across as more of a parody. Sure if it had been someone like Saru then makes sense given his extensive character development.
Makes it even cheaper considering the replacement character of Nelson - would have been interesting if instead of killing Ariam to replace with original... Ariam, they could have explored some alternate timeline version of her where the shuttle didn't crash so she wouldn't need the cybernetic parts, and written robot Ariam out that way.

At least it wasn't as bad as the utterly laughable parody of WoK in Into Darkness with the reversed places of Spock/Kirk. That was truly vomit inducing. :D

Soldato
Poor episode imho

They really need an REM song in the background now if that's where this show is going. Tyler in a leather jacket and motorcycle next?

So how long before the first affair happens?

If they cut out all the crying, this show would fit a 25min slot

Looks like the rest of the season will be addressing mother/daughter issues

Associate
I couldn't get my head around the first season of Discovery, probably the most inconsistent season of anything I have ever watched. Season 2 suffers from the same problems but to a much lesser extent. There is a fantastic show in there, how long it takes to reveal it is anyones guess. I love the 2nd season of this, despite it's shortcomings, I have really taken to the characters and it feels like the show is finding it's feet. Roll on next week!

Soldato
I am still enjoying this season a lot more than the first one, which was generally pretty poor, with a few decent episodes towards the end that got ruined by a disappointing conclusion. However, I thought this weeks episode was one of the worst ones of the season so far. I'm generally not the biggest fan of Burnham, but this was the first time I found her really annoying, plus I thought the discussion of DNA and whether there could be any doubt about Burnham being the Red Angel made it way too obvious that it was going to be her mum.

I also struggled to buy into the sadness at the loss of Ariam. They've made no attempts to flesh out the character over the course of the last two seasons, so her death was fairly inconsequential to me and I found the funeral speeches a bit cheesy. The inability/unwillingness to kill off central characters has been a problem for most TV shows and films over the years, but at least other good shows make sure to build up the backstories of the supporting cast they plan on getting rid of, so that the audience are genuinely invested in those characters and feel some sadness or shock at their death (Hodor in Game of Thrones comes to mind).

Soldato
It's very annoying how Burnham, brought up in the way of Vulcan logic, is hugely emotional, to the point where she's out of control. Not following orders, having a good cry, striking other officers, verbally attacking others for not following her own moral views, putting the ship and crew at risk, etc. She went and had a bawl on Tyler (after insulting him in the corridors, which he was okay with) because she was afraid she was going to die, after convincing the rest of the crew that the Red Angel had to save her. When she attacked Leland, I just wanted him to smack her back. It was your parents that lied to you Burnham!

The writers obviously don't know how DNA works. First we get told that the Red Angel is definitely Burnham, it is a complete match, it can't be faked, etc, oh, but it's her mum. Who won't have identical DNA to her daughter.

As for Araim's big send off. Like others, I just wanted it to be over. We've had no knowledge or connection with the character apart from a rushed back story last episode, so we really don't care that she's dead, despite all the crew bawling about her like she was a much loved character. She might as well have been just another redshirt.

There is just so much sloppy writing and characterisation. Why is this character doing this stupid thing? Because it's emotional, regardless of whether it's the wrong thing to do. Why are the crew doing that stupid thing? Because it looks cool with the visual effects. Why is Tilly still having to be asked every question twice and being all twittery and silly? Because she's the Wesley.

It's like it's written by people who have never read a good sci-fi book. Who have never seen an episode of Trek. Who have never had to sanity check any crazy script idea that pops into their heads. Who really want their audience to hate their main characters. For god's sake, please aspire to be better than barely average.

Soldato
I also struggled to buy into the sadness at the loss of Ariam. They've made no attempts to flesh out the character over the course of the last two seasons, so her death was fairly inconsequential to me and I found the funeral speeches a bit cheesy.

but that's precisely what this new star trek is all about, it's over emotional

in next weeks episode, burnham will sit down crying for an hour because the replicator made her a cold coffee

Man of Honour
I found this a pretty weak episode and didn't like it. There was far too much emotion and closeups of Burnham having a dramatic face moment.

It was obvious half way through the episode that the red angel was going to be Burnhams mother. I realised it as soon as the back story about her dying was brought up.

It's a real shame than Anson Mount is being written out for the next season.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thank goodness old 'Trek wasn't!

10eKAwq.gif pOw20wA.gif

mGFXKie.gif

:D

giphy.gif

Soldato
Thank goodness old 'Trek wasn't!
:D

I bet you had to trawl a whole series to find those, where with STD you're hard pressed not to find half the scenes are of Burnham standing there with tears in her eyes, her lip quivering while she lectures in a whispery voice about her moral superiority, or her mommy/daddy issues.

Back
Top Bottom