Best way to clean greasy marks from screen?

Commissario
I'm going to slap a screen protector on the display in my car because although I try not to touch it, it's a fingerprint magnet.

Before I put one on, I need to get it clean. This is what it looks like.

Gv5NZWQ.jpeg

What's the best way to get this cleaned up? I'm assuming that using computer screen cleaning products isn't a great plan but really, how can I clear the marks before putting a screen protector on it?

Obviously getting it all dust free is really important as well so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Soldato
For getting the dust off I’d just get some masking tape and dab it all over the screen. That’s what I do with phones and what I did with my car’s screen before putting a protector on.

Also if any dust remains after the protector is on you can just use masking tape to lift the protector up a bit and then put another bit of tape under to lift the dust off again.

Commissario
OP
A microfibre cloth did a good job but there were a couple of areas where I think the original screen matte coating has actually been worn away. The protector I got has quite a reflective surface and I got it on with no dust or bubbles. Because it's quite reflective, I can barely see the worn areas below so that's good. Unfortunately, it's really reflective so sometimes while driving I've been getting quite strong reflections of the inside of the car! It's not a mirror finish but it's just incredibly clear compared to the matte screen. I think I'll see if I can find a less reflective protector.

Soldato
You could add a matt coating on top I suppose. That's how monitors do it, though they do have perfect alignment of course.

Soldato
I found these pretty good, bought one for my mate and he's still using it:

5D4_5480b-med_res_1024x1024@2x.jpg

www.screenwarden.com their range is limited which is a shame but this one I bought for a friend's 5 series fits perfectly

Soldato
www.screenwarden.com their range is limited which is a shame but this one I bought for a friend's 5 series fits perfectly
whilst the protector might stop reflections, if you are using it as touch screen ( as opposed to pilotting via idrive control),
won't a protector reduce sensitivity on the screen ? which is already less sensitive than a phones.

(as suggested) screen wipes, or detergent, on warm lint free dish cloth, all the way ... micro-fibre doesn't remove grease , it smears it.

Back
Top Bottom