After 14 years gaming what have you learnt/done?

Associate
Sounds depressing but I'm thinking the same. I'm coming to the end of my Masters and starting a PhD in September, and I'm starting to think that instead of building a new PC as I was planning to, I should just save that money and focus on some other hobbies...
It can't all be work work work, you need some time doing the things that you enjoy.
If you enjoy building PCs then carry on......

Soldato
It can't all be work work work, you need some time doing the things that you enjoy.
If you enjoy building PCs then carry on......

Yeah I need a work life balance, however I play tennis, football and have started another fitness class now - I'm not sure I could justify the price of a gaming pc for the little time I will have for it!

Soldato
I learned that flimsy wooden doors are impervious to heavy weapons fire and that, even though you're a hulking soldier who kills Gods for a living, a small rock or a low fence can stop your progress.

Soldato
*snip* racing is what gets my blood pumping. *snip*

Same here (and the odd round of Battlefield).

After about 20 years of PC gaming (I'm mid-forties) I find that on the whole, SP games don't do it for me at all any more. Beyond any initial "Ooo this looks pretty" I just can't be arsed.

Driving sims and online FPS allow me to dip in for 30 minutes to an hour or so and feel that I've got better at it - like I've genuinely improved a skill - and that keeps me hooked.

Speaking of which, here's my PB at Spa, a 1:46.3. I'm about to try and improve on it, will someone watch my pint? Ta. :)

(e: looks much better when viewed on Youtube at 1440p, regardless of your monitor resolution.)

Last edited:
Associate
You don't need to upgrade your PC parts every year to play the latest games! In my 20s I was spending loads of money every year to play the newest games ! you can wait a good 3 or 4 years now before you need to upgrade parts.

CPU you can wait a good 6 years before they need upgrading , Graphics cards every 3-4 years :) just from my experience as a PC gamer.
look after your PC so clean it every couple of months. Don't have it on the floor it will only get covered in DUST.
Upload all your photos to clouds storage, at some point your SSD or hard drive will Fail on you..

I will be honest as I've got older games are not as fun! I find myself getting very bored with games or hard to get sucked in to them as much as I use to , maybe I expect to much from them , Still playing Fifa after 15 years and still want to smash my pad up when I lose ha. same in real life i guess no one likes to lose at football right ? :)
Don't get sucked in to one Discord gaming channel move around and meet new people , you will come across a lot of toxic people in gaming but you will also come across really nice people who you can play with and enjoy online gaming, so don't take it personal.

Associate
I have learnt that instead of playing multiples of hundreds of hours playing in a virtual world ( across many different games) I could have and perhaps should have spent that time advancing my professional qualifications or expanded my world by learning a second language or something else more tangible.

Soldato
On my way to football I saw some gas cyclinders and the thoguht popped into my head that, if I were to shoot them, they would blow up.

So i have learnt that if you shoot gas cyclinders (or red barrels) they will explode (hopefully!)

V F

V F

Soldato
I learnt that if your gf offers you sex, never turn it down in favour of trying to complete the final level of a video game. Also, being able to complete Monkey Island 2 : Le Chuck's Revenge, in under 20 minutes, is not something to brag about.

And I have learnt that it depends on the girlfriend and it depends on the game...

Made me think of...

Associate
It would be great if servers could be set to only accept players over the age of 21.....I wonder if that would ever happen lol
I only really play Battlefield now, with the odd bit of COD (but rarely these days as that has a much higher ratio of skoolkidz playing it)

If you kill most kids, they promptly call you a hacker followed by lots of expletives
I can't even be arsed to type back "No sunshine, I killed you because you are sh!t@" any more

Associate
Learnt that I was only good at games back in the ~2000 era because I had a fast pc, fast connection, and a laser mouse. Nowadays all the kids make me look distinctly average.

Associate
It would be great if servers could be set to only accept players over the age of 21.....I wonder if that would ever happen lol
I only really play Battlefield now, with the odd bit of COD (but rarely these days as that has a much higher ratio of skoolkidz playing it)

If you kill most kids, they promptly call you a hacker followed by lots of expletives
I can't even be arsed to type back "No sunshine, I killed you because you are sh!t@" any more

That PC just to play Battlefield! haha

Associate
First PC game I ever played was Deus Ex. Blew me away. Only game ever to completely enthralling me was final fantasy 7.

I learnt Nostalgia and certain tropes still make for good.

That the movie Aliens should receive a lifetime Universal award from any game that has space marines in it!

That I still go back and play baldurs gate and planescape;torment is testament to how good those games are imho.

Permabanned
My gaming goes back much longer than 14 years, probably around 39 years, im 44 years old and ive seen and played it all. BF2 was one of modern gamings finest moments.

Back
Top Bottom