Cancelling Gym Membership mid contract

Associate
Just a question regarding a gym contract taken out around 6 months ago, I've not been using it as much as I should have and received a letter the other day stating a price increase will be taken on my next Direct Debit, I read some info online that stated if a gym rises prices without justification mid contract a significant amount then you are within rights to cancel, so I phoned to tell them I would be leaving and cancelled DD accordingly, This was Friday.

The sports centre rang and left a message this morning stating that the price increase letter didn't apply to me and it was a mistake to send it out.

I've already cancelled the DD, but it just seems like they are backtracking to keep me as a member. My daughter also has a swimming membership here and she received the same letter as me, but we were keeping her on as she loves going.

So where do I stand from a legal viewpoint?, I've only got the woman's word to say it will stay the same, but in writing they've stated I will receive a price increase. I'm quite happy not signing up again, but before anybody gets their knickers in a twist I'm happy to fulfill my obligation to the contract if needs be, I just thought it would be an opportunity to stop wasting money by not going.

Annoyingly I cannot find the paperwork from signing up to the gym before anyone asks.

Soldato
chandler.gif

:D

Soldato
I read some info online that stated if a gym rises prices without justification mid contract a significant amount then you are within rights to cancel
The bold parts are intentionally vague and are sweeping statements that do not apply in all cases.

You need to check your contract to see what get out clauses you have. I doubt any are related to price increases, but you may be lucky.

Associate
Is there no simple cancellation period which is usually 30 to 60 days notice? You'll be out of contract then and only have to pay for another month or so. You'll probably have to reinstate the DD or just pay them off in a lump sum though unless you want a drawn out argument

This is exactly why I stopped having a gym membership. I switched to calisthenics a couple of years ago and running outside/circuit training at home. I've never been stronger or fitter and it only cost me £20 for all the equipment I need (i.e. pull up bar).

I never have the excuse of not enough time because it only takes 20 minutes to get a decent high intensity workout complete and if I forget then I do a real simple 10 minute pyramid set of pull ups and push ups before bed or even better 3 rounds of a century workout (40 squats, 30 push ups, 20 knee raises, 10 pull ups). Depending on your goals you don't need a gym in the slightest and personally I much prefer working out at home so am more inclined to do it. I can workout in my underwear and grunt/cry as much as I like without anyone caring.

Caporegime
In hindsight you probably should have waited for them to charge you the increased amount and then cancel, I doubt there's anything you can do now except to pay off the remainder of your contract.

Soldato
You need to check your contract to see what get out clauses you have. I doubt any are related to price increases, but you may be lucky.
... as he said.

similarly, Sky tv contract, for example, they can make some increases and you cannot escape foc -
If you're within your minimum term for a TV contract, unfortunately you CAN'T exit it penalty-free as a result of these price changes – although you may still be able to try to haggle with Sky if you're unhappy about the change. You could also remove any unwanted monthly add-ons, such as Sky Box Sets, to reduce your costs.

Man of Honour
So it's worth mentioning, at the moment, you have not cancelled your membership, just stopped paying for it. When you look on legal advice forums, the number of people who have got themselves into debt collector hassle for taking this exact approach is significant.

Talk to the gym and work out how to cancel properly.

Soldato
The last time I cancelled a gym membership they phoned me up and had a right go at me, including threats!!

Wasn't even in a contract, and told them multiple times over the phone I wanted to cancel. Finally stopped my DD, and was like WW3 had started.

I think the best way is to send a letter recorded delivery to their head office.

If you are still in contract, I don't think you can leave without causing A LOT of trouble for yourself.

Soldato
We have a good council run gym based in a newly built leisure centre. You can pay monthly by DD but you can cancel any time. Much better than your usual for-profit gyms that are more interested in tying you into lengthy expensive contracts than they are about the gym experience.

Associate
My guess is you'll be in breach of the contract as they haven't technically raised the price. You'll have the give the standard 27 month notice period if you want to leave.

My last gym had a great technique for not letting me leave when they whacked the price up over their agreed contract annual rise....they simply didn't respond to emails, letters or calls. After 4 weeks I then sent them an invoice for my time in sending corrospondance as per my day job....they replied within the day.

Soldato
There was a medical cancellation clause in a contract I had with Ballantynes gym. I wrote myself a letter from a consultant at the local hospital, saying I had severe back trauma after a car accident, found his name on tinternet. I sent the gym this quoting the clause and my regret at not being able to attend anymore. Membership was cancelled that month, never heard from them since!

Back
Top Bottom