• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
What in the world could you strap onto a mainstream consumer board that we don't already have and is useful/appropriate for this market segment?

I'd like to see more refinement in core areas of the design (VRMs, etc.) but more "bells and whistles" I can't think what they'd be.

U.2 ports
10gbit LAN ports
more SATA ports
external cmos reset button
I would like to see case designers and board vendors work together to make a new standard for the leds/switches so its one big connector you connect instead of multiple tiny fiddly wires.

These for a start :)

Soldato
U.2 ports
10gbit LAN ports
more SATA ports

U.2 was DoA.
10Gb would be nice but that's hardly a mainstream device, and takes up already-lacking PCIe lans.
6 isn't enough? But how many ports actually exist on the chipset? Do we need to add 3rd party chips?
Niche use case.

I would like to see case designers and board vendors work together to make a new standard for the leds/switches so its one big connector you connect instead of multiple tiny fiddly wires.
I hear you, which is why I'm making my own single 8-pin for a custom front panel PCB, but it'll only work for my Maximus VIII Impact. But yes motherboard vendors would need to standardise their pin outs for a single keyed 10-pin connector to work. I like the idea of Asus's Q Connector, but it's bulky.

Associate
Hoping to see higher quality motherboards for X570, would like to see a few more bells and whistles

Ok weaht i meant about this is

10Gbe
Better WiFi / Bluetooth
USB Type c headers
Better placement of onboard connectors
More SATA
Builkt in watercooling on VRMs
Mpre RGM headers
and possibly even a OLED built in screen

Granted i can buy extras to acheive all of these things but personally io would rather pay £150-£200 extra on top of current top end AMD motherboard prices to have all of those in one solution.

Thesde are all things i would make use of and can be found on top end Intel boards

I'm not going to get into aesthetics as thats a matter of individual taste so not going to add my opinion to that.

Man of Honour
i just chanced upon THG's 2700x review again and it got me thinking...if we're waaaay overhyping ryzen 3000 with respect to performance (i suspect performance/watt is likely to be better than intel though)
now from the tech press rumours, the chip demoed at computex was 8c ryzen 3000 chip, rumoured to be at 4.5ghz?

from THG:
EaLKQtP.png
from computex (courtesy: https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/amd_ryzen_3000_navi_i_x570_zmasowany_atak_juz_lipcu):
lxxBx1K.jpg

now if ryzen 2700x at 4.3ghz scores 1930-1935 cb @ 4.3ghz (from THG)
and ryzen 3000 8c scores 2057 (say 2055-2060) cb @ 4.5ghz (from computex)
then 2057/1933*4.3 = 4.58ghz
so according to my man-maths, ipc doesn't appear to have changed that significantly, and definitely not as much as the 10-15% as claimed rumoured...

(performance/watt is better though, no doubt about that - 2057cb @ 133w vs 1933cb @ 135w)

happy to be pointed in the right direction though, if i'm just making **** up lol

Soldato
It could be that to be able to clock it higher,AMD has needed to reduce potential IPC improvements. However,for gaming and audio work latency between the memory controller and the CCX has to be reduced,so I am more intrigued in how that will change.

Permabanned
Aesthetics is entirely up to the beholder, I feel as though the vast vast majority of people really don’t care about these excessive shrouds though.

As long as the thing has decent vrms and features... it doesn’t matter to me, much like phones nowadays, it’s just trimming the edges and adding a few hundred dollars because ‘new’.

I wouldn’t mind a very simple shroud if it wasn’t flashy for the sake of it, that’s very much down to full custom builds imo.

Those "excessive shrouds" are thermal guards to keep the M.2 drives cool and safe. No one would put them there out of nowhere and without thinking about it.

Man of Honour
Caporegime
Those "excessive shrouds" are thermal guards to keep the M.2 drives cool and safe. No one would put them there out of nowhere and without thinking about it.

That’s not what I’m talking about, it’s the unnecessary crap around the io port, random parts that make little difference to me, sometimes they’re truly well too big and I just wonder why...

Man of Honour
I'd rather have more boards move the focus away from gamers and offer more enterprisey/prosumer type features, like the Supermicro/Asus/Asrockrack Xeon E3 type stuff but for AM4.

E.G Better NICs, less bling, more storage options, better support for remote management, more consistent support for PCIE bifurcation etc etc

Only one board offers this on AM4 - and it's not even available yet (Asrockrack X470D4U)
U.2 ports
10gbit LAN ports
more SATA ports

If you want all of this you want yourself tr4. My Taichi has u.2, 3x m.2, Wi-Fi literally the only thing missing is 10g lan but it does have multiple gigabyte lan ports and supports lan teaming. Also on tr4 you actually have enough lanes to actually use the features without disabling random other features on the board.

Having a feature rich board is great but when you need to start worrying about what you can have active and what you can't without sacrificing performance elswear it strikes me as rather pointless inclusions. U.2 on z370 for example is pointless.

Back
Top Bottom