LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
Experiences like this scare me of when I finally get my own :(
Its ridiculous. I've had 4 IPS monitors and 1 TN panel. The TN is perfect and the Mx279q I got in 2012 has NO backlight bleed or IPS glow issues. However the AW3418DW, 950F and even the MG279Q I had to go through atleast 3 panels before I got something acceptable. This LG has been the worst in regards to blb and ips glow. Dell had better QC but some genius thought it was good to not include gamma controls AND have 2.4 or high gamma.

Some people are more sensitive to imperfections than others, fact is there is no such thing as a perfect panel.
I have a couple of friends that really do have bad cases of OCD, they are always sending things back for the most minor of reasons.

My metric is if I don't notice something in general day-to-day use, then it's a keeper.
If your only noticing something because you are specifically looking out it all the time then... PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard).

Saying that I do hate dead pixels and excessive light bleed as well, and probably would send a new panel back if I didn't think I could live with it.

Last edited:
Associate
Some people are more sensitive to imperfections than others, fact is there is no such thing as a perfect panel.
I have a couple of friends that really do have bad cases of OCD, they are always sending things back for the most minor of reasons.

My metric is if I don't notice something in general day-to-day use, then it's a keeper.
If your only noticing something because you are specifically looking out it all the time then... PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard).

Saying that I do hate dead pixels and excessive light bleed as well, and probably would send a new panel back if I didn't think I could live with it.

With my new one its definitely a bit of my OCD creeping through. However with the previous LG monitors there was enough ips glow to cover 1/8th of the screen. When playing resident evil 2 I couldn't see the the entire bottom left corner.

The one I have is 10 times better in the IPS glow dept. and there is some blb which I will try to mask with bias lighting. I also set my monitor to 100cd/m2 and I go as low as 80 cd/m2 at night (depending on room lighting)

Hmmm concerning.

Well I guess many of us are going to experience this first hand in a week or so from now.

In the mean time here is another review:

[EDIT]

At 8m:12s there is black screen that clearly shows some light bleed from each LHS corner (more so at the bottom).
I could not see any on the RHS but it could be the camera angle.
RE2 is quite a dark game, so I can understand how it could stand out.

34sjdxe.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Hmmm concerning.

Well I guess many of us are going to experience this first hand in a week or so from now.

In the mean time here is another review:

[EDIT]

At 8m:12s there is black screen that clearly shows some light bleed from each LHS corner (more so at the bottom).
I could not see any on the RHS but it could be the camera angle.
RE2 is quite a dark game, so I can understand how it could stand out.

34sjdxe.jpg

This is exactly how my latest monitor looks in terms of blb during the daytime (with the blinds closed). At night it gets worse (as expected). All 4 950Fs I had didn't have blb or ips glow on the right side, just the left corners. However, the IPS glow was horrendous on the previous 3. The one I have now affects about 1/32 of the entire screen, whereas the previous 3 affected 1/8th lol. This is with my eyes positioned dead center to the screen at a normal viewing distance.

All 4 950Fs I had didn't have blb or ips glow on the right side, just the left corners.

I did have a similar issue on a Dell monitor some years back.
It was found that the effected side housed the metal controller box and the fix was to loosen off some screws on the box to release some pressure on the frame/trim around the edge the screen.

There is a local chap I know who repairs flat screen TVs for a living, next time I'm passing I'll see what he reckons.

Associate
I did have a similar issue on a Dell monitor some years back.
It was found that the effected side housed the metal controller box and the fix was to loosen off some screws on the box to release some pressure on the frame/trim around the edge the screen.

There is a local chap I know who repairs flat screen TVs for a living, next time I'm passing I'll see what he reckons.

I opened mine up and there is only one big box in the middle. I did loosen the screws holding the panel to the frame, but that didn't really help. There was a slight gap between the outer frame and the panel. When I push that in there is no more light bleed. So either that needs to be tightened or maybe loosened or the electric tape method will be needed. Ill reopen and test again over the weekend.

Associate
Question to the owners of the LG monitor, how sturdy was the packaging? I've seen that the box is maybe half the size of other Ultrawides and that raises some concerns.
Think it would survive airline travel as a checked baggage?

I opened mine up and there is only one big box in the middle. I did loosen the screws holding the panel to the frame, but that didn't really help. There was a slight gap between the outer frame and the panel. When I push that in there is no more light bleed. So either that needs to be tightened or maybe loosened or the electric tape method will be needed. Ill reopen and test again over the weekend.

Very interesting.

It does sound like it could be user fixable though for those of us brave (stupid) enough.
I am service technician by trade, me and the chaps in the workshop are fearless and quite happy to strip things down lol.

Please keep us posted (some photos would be great).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom