Bring on brexit!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'd like to see a source for this information. Furthermore, Germany will never allow for such a thing as the autobahn is sacred.

Caporegime
They’re linked to the speed limit on the road you’re on. Must mean that on the autobahn they get switched off completely.

Tbh, I’m not totally against it, if it really works as well as they are aiming for, it will stop a lot of idiots diving round residential streets at stupid speeds, which happens a lot round our way. I see no problem with cars being limited to the speed limit of the road they are on. If you want to go faster then you are a potential criminal as you want to break the law.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
They’re linked to the speed limit on the road you’re on. Must mean that on the autobahn they get switched off completely.

Tbh, I’m not totally against it, if it really works as well as they are aiming for, it will stop a lot of idiots diving round residential streets at stupid speeds, which happens a lot round our way. I see no problem with cars being limited to the speed limit of the road they are on. If you want to go faster then you are a potential criminal as you want to break the law.
Just re-read the quote. If you can over-ride it by nailing the throttle, then it's no bad thing. If it prevents road deaths, then it's no bad thing.

In any case, sauce?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
If you read the proposed regulation on the EC web site, you will find the exact wording to be
'intelligent speed assistance' means a system to aid the driver in observing the appropriate speed for the road environment by providing haptic feedback through the accelerator pedal with speed limit information obtained through observation of road signs and signals, based on infrastructure signals or electronic map data, or both, made available in-vehicle;

Not quite OMFG EU LIMITS MY CAR TO 30MPH FUUUBREXIT

Soldato
What's the problem, I had a lovely trip to London today cruising at the speed limit while all the tools were hammering past me then standing on their brakes, then speeding, then standing on their brakes...
Who needs that stress.

Soldato
If it's something you can't switch off (which they do want it to be later on). It will be the first thing people will flash their ECU to disable on new cars. Or simply find the GPS receiver and wrap it in foil, stick tape over the sign reading cameras, etc.

Having the override as the throttle will make it dangerous. You'll have no response for most of the pedal travel, then suddenly acceleration. Like the world's worst turbo lag. Not so great in the wet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only seems to be the usual rage **** rags that are reporting it; i've also seen it reported that the UK will adopt the law even if brexit happens.

*The filter exists for a reason*

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
There a long thread from back in 2013 about this

And from the year 2008 below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7803997.stm
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...wn-control-your-speed.17957987/#post-13177496
Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars on a voluntary basis to help save lives and cut carbon emissions, according to a new report.

The government's transport advisers claim the technology would cut road accidents with injuries by 29%.

The device automatically slows a car down to within the limit for the road on which it is being driven.

But campaign group Safe Speed warns against its use, saying it encourages drivers to enter a "zombie mode".

Ministers are planning to help councils draw up digital maps with details of the legal speed on every road.

The speed-limiting devices will then use satellite positioning to check a vehicle's location and when its speed exceeds the limit, power will be reduced and the brakes applied if necessary.

The Commission for Integrated Transport and the Motorists' Forum, which both advise the government, are calling on ministers to promote a wide introduction of the system.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There will always be a way around it, I would hope. Someone will find a way to disable it either mechanically or via software. Or just keep a car pre these changes :)

I don’t tend to speed but it’s not uncommon to drive on the motorway in the early morning, no thanks to doing 70 when there’s hardly anyone else on the road.

I might keep my R for 35 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom