**** The Official Huawei P20 Thread ****

Soldato
Gentlemen; for the last few days I keep on having a nagging feeling of moving from Apple to a P20 Pro after hearing so much hype about it.

Now, my issues. I love iOS; I love how it just, works. I know that my iPhone is going to work exactly how I want it to. I like when things are standardised, which again is a point to apple IMO.

I tried android a few years ago, I didn’t like the bloatware, I felt like I had 2 apps for photos, 2 apps for text messages and then 2 others for Facebook messenger, 3 folders for my files, etc etc.

I was on Android for 6 months, admittedly FAR from a flagship device but I hated the entire experience, i’m hoping it has improved since.

My main pulls toward P20 pro are the camera; i’m On an iPhone X now, and on sim-only contract of £20 a mo th unlimited data so i’d be buying outright.

Of course, i’ve Watched lots of reviews on YouTube but value your advice :)

I went from an X to a P20 Pro. I wasn't part of the Apple ecosystem, only had an iPhone and was bored of them.

The camera is indeed excellent on the P20 Pro, far better than the iPhone X. Video, the iPhone is better.

The OS experience on the X was far smoother, get lag sometimes on my P20 Pro. I do prefer Android to iOS as an OS though.

The face ID on the X is excellent, far better than Huawei's attempt.

If you love iOS, stick with it.

Soldato
I went from an X to a P20 Pro. I wasn't part of the Apple ecosystem, only had an iPhone and was bored of them.

The camera is indeed excellent on the P20 Pro, far better than the iPhone X. Video, the iPhone is better.

The OS experience on the X was far smoother, get lag sometimes on my P20 Pro. I do prefer Android to iOS as an OS though.

The face ID on the X is excellent, far better than Huawei's attempt.

If you love iOS, stick with it.

Thanks for the reply, that's perfect :) I took notice of the P30 announcement yesterday but not jumping on anything at the minute. I am starting to look into various other options though, Pixels, Galaxies etc.

Associate
Need a new phone with good battery, screen and camera in that order but don't want to pay too much. £900 is too much for a P30 Pro, is £385 worth it for the p20 Pro? 12m warranty refurb.

Or go m20 Pro 513 refurb.

Any drawbacks or other phones to consider?

Edit - managed to get the Mate 20 Pro at £483 so picked that up!

Last edited:
Associate
Had a P20 pro briefly but there seemed to have been a bug with expanding notifications on the lock screen...

If you got a whatsapp for example it would just show the 1st line of the message and you couldn't pull it down to read the rest of the message without opening the message. Is this still the case?!

Soldato
Had a P20 pro briefly but there seemed to have been a bug with expanding notifications on the lock screen...

If you got a whatsapp for example it would just show the 1st line of the message and you couldn't pull it down to read the rest of the message without opening the message. Is this still the case?!
That's not a bug .Huawei made it that way. Something to do with privacy I think. It is annoying though .

Associate
Really?! Guy i know has a P20 Lite and it doesn't behave that way...odd!! Was really annoying, i assume the same "feature" is on the P30 pro

Soldato
I've found out last week or so sharpening etc aretfacts in zoom and slow shutter speeds VERY dependent on source photo quality

Ie zoom non stabilised making not much effort to keep still - rather than blurred mess software tries it's best to correct sharpen etc and it looks way over processed and not great at all

Same situation prop yourself on something and software has much less work to do and photo looks fantastic even in 5x zoom

Soldato
My p20 lite has updated and now I'm stuck with white menus, it now looks like this->

Lvd7uGZ.jpg

It was black and blue text before the update like this->

80kn57T.jpg

I don't think it was a theme, I use the default grass wallpaper thing, no interest in changing, not found much on google, possible dark mode in battery settings to save power, but if that's what made the menus black then the update has removed that option. It's jarring because it's gone from a nice on the eyes dark black and blue colour, to retina burning white lol

Can anyone help me get it back to black with blue text? Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like they have removed it then, another annoying thing is the buttons at bottom now no longer dissapear when the keyboard comes up, so every time I write all the keys are moved up :s

Soldato
No note yet.

I'm on Vodafone.

Edit: just got the updated haha. Can't notice a lot of difference, however all the round Google app icons are now square. There is more icons for notifications on the always on display and when you open app drawer the suggested apps automatically appear at the top and I can't see a way to turn them off.

I still can't find a way to turn off the camera icon on the lockscreen??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom