Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

Soldato
Cheers buddy.

Must admit I'm horrified at the fact that QA is seemingly sloppy and an absolute minefield for pretty much any laptop at this price point. This is unacceptable in my opinion but ho hum...

Also a bit concerned by the reports of severe backlight bleed in the bottom corners on these. I would find that highly irritating and I'd be sending it back.

I never expected finding a new lappy to be such a massive ballache.

Last edited:
Associate
@Narj & @Brok
Fan noise for me is not so much an issue, you can here some noise when cpu/gpu is busy but that is same for any system, I'd say is quieter in general than others I've heard before. Screen bleed - it has some at the bottom but nothing that I particularly notice in use, my thoughts are the same screens are used by different builders so it's likely to be a common issue.

As Brok mentioned, I like the subtle appearance, it doesn't stand out but also keeps a sleek appearance with a <quote> "stealth bomber" underneath. This is one of the reasons I was drawn to the Aero and I wanted a good cpu option, able to add higher end components etc. It's not the most powerful option on the market but those are 3+Kg or 17 inch screen chassis to lug around.

For Linux - I have yet to disable the uefi bios mostly as I don't know the implications of reversing that - if any. As I understand (and this applies to my Aero 15X Nov 2017) there is an option in the BIOS to load Windows 7 defaults. Once done this should open another option to disable uefi secure boot and that should allow Linux builds & distros - at the expense of secure boot of course and no official support from Gigabyte for non-Windows OS.

My reluctance to try this is due to me not fully understanding uefi and the implications. I have read something about MS uses keys for uefi secure boot and without those it will never boot - if this is true then I reason setting to Win7 default and disable will remove the keys, IF that is true and later I want to go back to uefi secure boot is there an option to set defaults to Win10 and this would re-instate the keys and would Win10 will play nicely with that....??

That said I am giving serious consideration to moving to Linux and where needed run Win10 in a VM with standard hardware drivers. I am truly ****** off with MS inability to use consistent wifi drivers (and I suspect video drivers) and other issues leaving end users with broken devices, wasted hours fixing something that worked fine before.

Also MS telling me I have an error because I choose to use a local admin account instead of a live MS account to watch everything you do (though Google et all do that anyway and I still don't know how SMS messages deleted from my Vodafone mobile phone more than 7 years ago - are sitting in my MS owned Linked-In account).

Associate
ok, a short post this time ;)

Please - Does any other Aero 15X user get a long boot time (2-3+ minutes) when selecting Restart from Windows 10 1809?
(or any links for this issue)

This weekend I'll reinstall all original components with Win10 1703 and see if any difference, if not I guess send back for a repair.

Soldato

Hi mate,

Thanks for that. I think I'm probably going to give the Aero 15X V8 GTX1070 with 144Hz FHD a go. Might see if I can find one with a 4K display in a shop to have a look at before making a final decision. Payday Monday so I can stick the extra on top of the cash I already have. Bit annoyed at Lenovo not being able to do me the laptop I wanted with the better battery. :)

Fingers crossed I don't get any of these issues that have put the horrors into me. Still got some reservations but I can't ignore the amazing battery life and the fact that I can get away with using it in a professional capacity. :p

How does 1080p gaming look on the 4k display? I'm guessing blurry? I wish Nvidia would pull their thumb out and support pixel doubling.

Edit: too much negativity with modern laptops. Decided to postpone purchase for now :p

Last edited:
Associate
So, my Aero15x died over weekend, first off the keyboard started intermittently working, and now it appears to be full blown dead. All I'm getting from it right now is the power button LED, and front power LED blinking at 6 second intervals... with no mention anywhere (after a quick 5-10m of searching) what the hell this means. I've had this laptop ~6 months, and this is pretty damn appalling, and to top it off, no word from Gigabyte's support in 3 days, ticket is still pending pickup.

Looks like I've got a lovely £1700 paperweight until they decide to get back to me and fix it.

@Atom80, care to wade in?

Associate
So, my Aero15x died over weekend, first off the keyboard started intermittently working, and now it appears to be full blown dead. All I'm getting from it right now is the power button LED, and front power LED blinking at 6 second intervals... with no mention anywhere (after a quick 5-10m of searching) what the hell this means. I've had this laptop ~6 months, and this is pretty damn appalling, and to top it off, no word from Gigabyte's support in 3 days, ticket is still pending pickup.

Looks like I've got a lovely £1700 paperweight until they decide to get back to me and fix it.

@MasterPlan1 - you may have a hardware issue (perhaps a failed NVMe?) or you may have a corrupt Win10 build - my symptoms were different, long boot times, sometimes no boot and the Win10 v20.n wifi driver stopped wifi from detecting networks depsite normal operation reported by device manager.
regards holding the power button - I have experienced closer to twenty seconds before it finally shut down.

Also you may have seen my recent frustrated and slightly MS ranting posts - which now seem to be justified.

For anyone else who had the patience to read my long posts - I have FIXED my Aero 15X laptop by RE-INSTALLING Windows 10 - just like MS have been "recommending a Reset" to several hundreds of thousands in the last few months judging from many forum posts!

Why did I need to re-install and how did the corrupt OS happen?
I don't rightly know, despite keeping a detailed laptop build document and only using genuine software etc and a weekend of testing proved no hardware faults.
From my diary notes the symptoms started after a Win10 update and around the same time I installed Logitech software to enable a new Anywhere Mouse wireless dongle to be detected and I installed additional Logitech recommended software that I later un-installed and pretty much that is the only reason I can find for the corrupt Win10 build.

Actually the re-install task was made significantly easier by not having to start from scratch with a MS Win-10 iso, instead I used an Acronis True Image [ATI] image file that I made while the laptop was almost new and only had Norton Security Suite and ATI installed. This was the same image file I had used in January 2019 to restore a fresh image for re-purposing. Also useful that ATI Linux boot DVD works with Gigabyte uefi BIOS - for my ASUS desktop I had to create a WinPE boot disk but Acronis provided the scripts to achieve this without too much fuss, for when I upgraded/cloned the hdd to an ssd.

Ok, so I am in the fortunate position I had the resource and experience to have purchased and fitted replacement RAM and NVMe drives from new. This means I still retain the original 2x 8GB RAM modules and NVMe Toshiba drive with Win10 1703 build and only Norton Security Suite and ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE installed (worth shouting as ATI has saved me many times during the last 10 years and is a fabulously useful backup and image tool, although I preferred their older user interface than today's modern GUI version)

For anyone interested, the hardware testing included removing the base plate and (Always power down for any hardware actions)..
* replaced the original 2 x 8Gb RAM modules - no change to symptoms (boot failure or long boot times and wifi not working)
* DISCONNECTED home broadband router so NO Internet Connection available - important to stop Win10 auto-updating.
* removed 2x Samsung EVO960 NVMe drives and replaced original Toshiba NVMe with Win10 1703 build
* Laptop booted fine and everything working as normal - ALSO no device mgr errors for Sensors-Light Sensor nor Airplan HID minidriver Interface
* Swapped back 2x 16GB HyperX Kingston RAM modules - everything still working fine
* Inserted each Samsung NVMe drive one at time while booting from Toshiba NVME and in both cases normal file access to all drives
* Removed all NVMe drives and refitted one Samsung NVMe drive - used external DVD drive to load Acronis True Image - Boot Recovery Disk
* Restored a clean image from previous part build in Feb 2019 based on clean nearly new backup image from January 2018
** next day when I had turned home broadband back on **
* Boot from single Samsung NVMe drive with restored image Win10 1809 - Laptop booted in normal quick time with everything working and zero erros reported in device manager. Win10 auto updated in the background -kb4489899-kb4483452-kb4489907 (Win10 1809 cumulative, .net framework 3.5 & 4.7.2 & adobe flash). Also Win10 updated the wifi driver to v20.n.n and wifi is still working normally again.
* Installed second Samsung NVMe drive and restored ATI image for D: drive
* Installed Samsung Magician software and tested NVMe drives - both reported in good condition. Previous C: drive reported 4.8Tb written while previous D: drive reported 1Tb written - these drives are now role swapped.

I still had another day of installing software, making Win10 desktop setting changes and other conifguration but 3 days later and everything is still working like there was never anything wrong and I suffered 3 weeks of unecessary aggregvation, frustration, cursing and angst because... bl**dy MS Win10 update process decided to cr4p itself.

Acronis True Image saved me a LOT of time and even more aggrevation - especially as it kept all my user profile NTUSER.DAT settings including Internet bookmarks, File Manager favourites, local printer config and a lot of other previously installed programs/utilities that I did not need to labouriously repeat - hence I always recommend it. (I am also glad I did not re-sell the original RAM and NVMe drive ;)

Apologies for another long drawn out post, hope it helps some - I'll try to keep quiet again...
oh - it really is a pleasure to have my Aero 15X working properly, I just hope it stays that way and MS don't screw it again.

(other than the Elan trackpad which has consistently driven me mad with it's over-sensitivity - maybe Gigabyte can send me a replacement - I'll even fit it myself)

Associate
tried pressing and holding the power button?

Yep, tried everything I could think of, took the bottom off to see what I could do there, as in pull battery etc, but the cable connection between battery and board looks too flimsy for me to want to do that. The connection cables are so thin. I knew I should’ve gotten an Alienware or Lenovo..

Associate
The addition of Thunderbolt 3 was a big plus, although only a single monitor is supported via TB3 so if you have a multi monitor setup you will need to plug at least 3 cables in (power, TB3, 2nd monitor) and TB3 only supports 60hz. I have the following plugged into my TB3 dock:

Can I ask which dock you got? Just I'm getting a new MBP soon from work and I'll need something to go between my A15x and MBP as currently I use miniDP/USB3 to do just this with my current 2015 MBP/A15x.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

@Atom80, care to wade in?

Hi @MasterPlan1 - is the status still the same? Can you post any reference numbers for support ticket that you have?

Have you spoken / emailed to our UK support centre?

Sorry for delay,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Anyone else had wifi card problems since Win10 update late Feb to early March?
If I use Intel driver version 19.7.0.5 it uninstalls existing then installs an earlier version that works but within 20 minutes Windows notifies it has installed an update version 20.50.0.5 and after reboot back to a wifi device that indicates is normal but also device is not connected and unable to see any wifi channels again.

Another thing - last year the gigabyte airplane mode driver disappeared with an update for smart update, I have re-installed gigabytes airplane mode driver v1.0 but it doesn't show and device mgr reports error code 10 the device cannot start - I think is separate to wifi as this has been the case for several months since smart update version change.

Another another thing, When I restart the laptop I get the gigabyte bios option screen for F2/F12/F9 but then a black screen for 5 to 10 minutes before the Win10 pro logon screen. The keyboard lights colour cycle and the fan has random spin up times. Also any keypress does not activate the pwd prompt, only ctrl-alt-del or the left mouse button on the trackpad. Fairly standard build and no other devices, only used for standard legit software, no dodgy sites visited etc

Odd but if I power down, remove power and LAN, plug back in and power up then there is no Gigabyte F2/F12/F9 screen but it jumps to Win10 logon screen and any key press activates the cursor for pwd. Local admin account only, never configured for a live Windows account.

I have raised two support cases but any advice or notes of similar experience appreciated.
Now here's an odd thing I did not know before.. according to Gigabyte support, a windows Shut down does not really shut down your laptop, instead it goes into a deep sleep state so when powered on it boots quick and without the BIOS screen prompt. However, if choosing Restart (the Win10 description for shutting down the laptop is exactly the same as shut down) but this time it really does power off the laptop and the next power up does indeed show the BIOS select option.

BUT - the screen stays blacked out for at least 5 minutes (sometimes nearly 10 minutes!) and at first I suspected a hardware fault. Patiently waiting longer than an old slow 5400 fragmented sata drive would take to boot and the logon screen eventually appears - pressing any key does not activate the pwd cursor, only ctrl+alt+del or the left mouse button does that, and guess what - the wifi driver has been updated (no LAN cable btw) back to v 20.n and wifi no longer works.

How.. how does Microshaft even survive? No acceptance of this issue. Oddly, all previous system restores have been wiped and only option offered is.. re-install a clean Windows restoration. Really?! What have they done, clearly I am missing something here, like a reliable operating system on an 18 month old latop.

Anyone else experienced the blacked-out screen for 5 minutes on Restart?

Am not impressed with gigabyte support, and cannot add to a case, only raise a new one then they complain about that - they did not offer anything other than re-install from scratch and suggest the memory upgrade might be faulty - but laptop works fine when "shutting down" and anyway, after restart the BIOS option screen pops up very quick and that means POST has passed ok.

So now I am left with a laptop that keeps breaking and MS busts it after every restart and only offers a Reset / re-install. It's a bit like a builder builds your house, then without asking comes back, removes the front door, leaves a 'properly working' replacement on the ground and clears off, but you can have the house rebuilt... wtf?!

Hi @cbwallop - sincere apologies for not picking this up sooner.

We have forwarded your issue over to R&D to browse through - can you please let us know if you have had contact with our support centre in the UK? Please let us know any outstanding reference/ticket numbers and we will endeavour to follow-up for you.

Please also post the serial number on your machine at the same time.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Last edited:
Associate
ok, a short post this time ;)

Please - Does any other Aero 15X user get a long boot time (2-3+ minutes) when selecting Restart from Windows 10 1809?
(or any links for this issue)

This weekend I'll reinstall all original components with Win10 1703 and see if any difference, if not I guess send back for a repair.
maybe tried to rollback the system with F9 recovery

Associate
Can I ask which dock you got? Just I'm getting a new MBP soon from work and I'll need something to go between my A15x and MBP as currently I use miniDP/USB3 to do just this with my current 2015 MBP/A15x.

Caldigit ts3 plus. It's not the prettiest looking piece of gear I own but for feature/function I couldn't find anything better. It was about £270 iirc.

Associate
maybe tried to rollback the system with F9 recovery

I needed to test if any hardware problems (& was asked by Gigabyte support) After hardware confirmed ok then ATI image provides a point in time known configuration state with user profile & software settings intact.
2 weeks later and all is working as normal again. The original Win10 cumulative update is when issues started & possibly combined with Logitech software install.

Associate
@Atom80 HELP

My Gigabyte AERO 15X v8-CF1 had just died.

At first I got a blue screen of death. I think it was this one;
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

After reboot my sound wasn’t working. Device recognised in device manager, but would refuse to start. I tried rebooting a few times, uninstalled / reinstalled the drivers but still wouldn’t work.

I tried to run the gigabyte software updater, but it just crashed out with error 0x076. No other text than the numbers in a small window.

After another reboot it went into automatic repair mode and hung; boot screen with message saying it was preparing recovery mode. So I had to force shutdown with power button.

Eventually it booted into recovery mode where I tried a reset without deleting my files. This went through the motions and then ended up saying something went wrong and no files were changed.

On the next reboot it went straight into the bios. I checked for hard drives and the boot NVMe was gone. Only showing my second NVMe drive.

Now when I power on the laptop it stays at the screen where it says F2 for bios etc at the bottom and does nothing. I’ve tried to get in to the bios, but pressing F2 does nothing.

HELP.

Update:

I also tried to boot from a Linux USB and after 15 minutes I got the following on the screen:

aero-15x.png

To see if that was linux or the laptop itself I removed the usb and rebooted. After about 15 minutes it went into the bios and this time I can see both NVMe drives. Still not booting to windows.

Cheers,
John.

Last edited:
Associate
Jesus, this laptop went from being an essential-buy to something to absolutely avoid.

So many horrible issues!

Soldato
Jesus, this laptop went from being an essential-buy to something to absolutely avoid.

So many horrible issues!

You maybe right. I was very close to buying this. Whilst the aesthetic isn’t for me, the form factor, connectivity and spec looked great.

Thank god I was too tight and picked up an XPS15 on the MM. 1050 isn’t exactly going to blaze a trail, but it surprised me how good a gaming experience it offered; I’ve noticed on a small, 1080p screen, you don’t really notice turning down the settings.

Soldato
I'm wondering if it's better just to go for an eGPU. I don't need to game on the go. Just want a laptop that can handle games as I no longer own a PC - want to avoid the hassle and extra expense of owning two devices. So just dock a laptop.

My XPS 15 (quite seamlessly) swaps between the eGPU for desktop and discrete for gaming. It’s very handy as I get great battery life.

It’s only a 1050, and as I’ve said I’m actually quite surprised at the gaming performance, but if it’s a desktop replacement you’re after, you may find you want more grunt.

It seems, at least for the moment, the choice is either be able to switch between the two, or have G-Sync.

No brainier for me; even though I love my x34p, I gamed for years on a U2412m and, for me at least, adaptive sync and high refresh are ‘nice’ features, not ‘essential’.

Associate
You maybe right. I was very close to buying this. Whilst the aesthetic isn’t for me, the form factor, connectivity and spec looked great.

Thank god I was too tight and picked up an XPS15 on the MM. 1050 isn’t exactly going to blaze a trail, but it surprised me how good a gaming experience it offered; I’ve noticed on a small, 1080p screen, you don’t really notice turning down the settings.

I wanted to pull the trigger on this last year and was just waiting for the next 20 series of GeForce cards. This was such a beautiful looking machine. It still is, but I think the Asus Zephyrus S with it's larger 17 inch screen blows it out of the water, especially when you consider the countless excellent reviews (Linus did a good teardown on it).

It's such a shame really, but goes to show how today's trailblazers can very quickly become tomorrow's yesterday men. Let's hope they do something better next year.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
@Atom80 HELP

My Gigabyte AERO 15X v8-CF1 had just died.

At first I got a blue screen of death. I think it was this one;
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

After reboot my sound wasn’t working. Device recognised in device manager, but would refuse to start. I tried rebooting a few times, uninstalled / reinstalled the drivers but still wouldn’t work.

I tried to run the gigabyte software updater, but it just crashed out with error 0x076. No other text than the numbers in a small window.

After another reboot it went into automatic repair mode and hung; boot screen with message saying it was preparing recovery mode. So I had to force shutdown with power button.

Eventually it booted into recovery mode where I tried a reset without deleting my files. This went through the motions and then ended up saying something went wrong and no files were changed.

On the next reboot it went straight into the bios. I checked for hard drives and the boot NVMe was gone. Only showing my second NVMe drive.

Now when I power on the laptop it stays at the screen where it says F2 for bios etc at the bottom and does nothing. I’ve tried to get in to the bios, but pressing F2 does nothing.

HELP.

Update:

I also tried to boot from a Linux USB and after 15 minutes I got the following on the screen:

aero-15x.png

To see if that was linux or the laptop itself I removed the usb and rebooted. After about 15 minutes it went into the bios and this time I can see both NVMe drives. Still not booting to windows.

Cheers,
John.

Hi @Scorpuk - sorry to hear of your issue.

Transferred details to HQ this morning.

Can you please let us know the serial number of your machine - post image of the sereial number code on the machine, or box label, whichever easier.

Also - can you confirm the SSD brand that was installed, and also the brand of the additional SSD you have installed.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Back
Top Bottom