• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
There is zero need for this feature on any board as that's just your preference.
Just buy an add-in card although that is a choice you appear to hate!
Honestly, what are you talking about? You could say the same about literally any feature on a bog standard motherboard. You don't need GbE, SATA, or even USB ports as you can get them via PCIe add-in cards too but having some stuff be on-board is kinda useful. Or, a less extreme example, why not just offer USB 2.0 ports (since all peripherals bar external disks don't saturate it) and let anyone who wants USB 3.0 buy an add-in card? Oh yeah, because some people might make use of them and it's a nice feature to offer.

Not sure what this desire is to have every board be the same. Choice is a good thing folks.

Soldato
They can remove two DRAM slots (for a total of just 2), make a more compact arrangement, and fit them as follows:

Half is done there:

Well yeah its not easy if they having to remove important stuff. Yes some of use 4 dimm slots :)

Hopefully they see sense one day and we move to u.2/pci express nvme. u.2 for those who want slot in drive bays, pci express for those who hate cables.

It kind of reminds me of the vhs tech situation where the worser technologoy won out.

Soldato
Honestly, what are you talking about? You could say the same about literally any feature on a bog standard motherboard. You don't need GbE, SATA, or even USB ports as you can get them via PCIe add-in cards too but having some stuff be on-board is kinda useful. Or, a less extreme example, why not just offer USB 2.0 ports (since all peripherals bar external disks don't saturate it) and let anyone who wants USB 3.0 buy an add-in card? Oh yeah, because some people might make use of them and it's a nice feature to offer.

Not sure what this desire is to have every board be the same. Choice is a good thing folks.

Exactly, one reason I have my asrock in my sig is the 8 sata ports (most z370 even high end boards limited to 6) and same with my ryzen 2 machine, the asrock board I picked for that had 6 whilst most b450 only have 4.

Kind of stupid when every board is a clone and the only difference is layout plus VRM build differences.

Given some boards cost circa £300 now days (And some even more), they can deffo put more stuff on the boards in that price range.

Soldato
We need an 8pack board, with super strong water cooled VRMs and 4 m.2 on the back to make the abs.

Seriously though if these chips really can beat intel at gaming, not to mention be workstation capable with 16 cores it would be good to see some more feature rich boards.

Associate

You are just being silly now. 10 GbE for consumers is still too niche so you are ahead of the curve. I use a high quality sound card for music production which is also niche and I use an add-in device. SATA and USB 3.0 are everyday interfaces for the everyman.

Soldato
You are just being silly now. 10 GbE for consumers is still too niche so you are ahead of the curve. I use a high quality sound card for music production which is also niche and I use an add-in device. SATA and USB 3.0 are everyday interfaces for the everyman.
You realise there are already 3 Ryzen motherboards with 10 GbE ports, right? There is also at least 1 AM4 motherboard with more than 6 SATA ports, probably a few by this point. I also disagree that the current "everyman" would ever notice the difference between a 3 Gb/s and 6 Gb/s SATA port, or would even use an M.2 device on a desktop. I also wouldn't baulk at the idea of a motherboard with a decent built-in sound card...I just probably wouldn't buy it if it was at a premium because I personally don't need such a device.

Technology moves fast and things go from being niche to being mainstream (or vice versa) all the time. Motherboard manufacturers try to stand out from the competition and I'm always happy when they do that by offering features that might be useful to some rather than pretty lights.

Soldato

Remember we talking about £300 niche boards tho.

Building a VRM to run a power plant is niche also but it gets done.

no one is saying put on a 10gbe on a £100 board.

I want to see innovation out from the norm on these boards.

Soldato
Honestly, what are you talking about? You could say the same about literally any feature on a bog standard motherboard. You don't need GbE, SATA, or even USB ports as you can get them via PCIe add-in cards too but having some stuff be on-board is kinda useful. Or, a less extreme example, why not just offer USB 2.0 ports (since all peripherals bar external disks don't saturate it) and let anyone who wants USB 3.0 buy an add-in card?
USB2 has been saturated by faster USB memories, or memory card readers for like decade.
It's Y2K tech.

But M.2 is quite horrible form factor for its space hogging.
It's also total Charlie Foxtrot in the way it has so many different things slot might support or might not support.

Soldato
USB2 has been saturated by faster USB memories, or memory card readers for like decade.
It's Y2K tech.

But M.2 is quite horrible form factor for its space hogging.
It's also total Charlie Foxtrot in the way it has so many different things slot might support or might not support.
True, USB 3.0 is fairly useful these days for stuff like that. I think the whole M.2 situation is a mess but I still have my 970 EVO ready to plop into an X570 board. :D

Associate

I don’t understand why he is being silly. Sure the everyday user won’t notice the difference but then the everyday user probably won’t notice the difference between a1700x and a 3000 series cpu. By you argument there should b.e no expensive motherboards on the market as all the features on the expensive boards aren’t needed or essential. Point is there is a huge enthusiast market out there with people willing to pay for feature rich products.

I don’t want to use add in cards when I can have a single component that does it all. With the exception of a nice water cooled graphics card I find add in cards ugly plus they hinder air flow

Soldato
Just ordered a 2600x for my kids with 3600mhz c16 GSkill ram and the B450 MSI Carbon board, will be interesting to see how it stacks up against my CH6 1700 3200mhz ram build, I got a Vega 64 and the Kids will be using a 1080, so i would think both rigs should be fairly close to each other.

Soldato
We need an 8pack board, with super strong water cooled VRMs and 4 m.2 on the back to make the abs.

Seriously though if these chips really can beat intel at gaming, not to mention be workstation capable with 16 cores it would be good to see some more feature rich boards.
Sounds like we might get that with the x5xx series board leaks.

Soldato

VRM will be stronger then Z390 boards - *** at an educated guess looking 14+2 set up for high end board 8 channel PWM controller in 7+1 config . 14 Phased + 7 doublers for vCore and 2 Phases + 1 doubler for SoC.

guessing should see some extreme examples of 16 phase units to match Z390/X399 units .

Vendors cant ignore the power of AMD Zen2 now- not with high sales, market growth and pricing, not to mention its all on board controllers which make its cheaper

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh heard any rumors on the B550 stuff? i think im going to skip X570 this time round, and just go for a solid B series board... Hopefully one of them makes a stand out winner like the MSI B450 Carbon

That Chipset is harder to find out . Guessing for good reason . I'm guessing Asus Strix B450-E will just get a nice luck of paint and will be B550 given an idea of what to expect. 12 phase B450 does seems a little overkill and made sure it's damn hard to get ! Carbon is a good board but if Strix E as available here... Would be flying off the shelves .
Question is... If B550 going to really limit PCIe to force x570 to look more appealing whilst leaving PCIe 4.0 to it's bigger brother.. don't see a need for it on the b550 .
Also question to whether it'll all be in-house , guessing most likely though to keep costs down .

Back
Top Bottom