Should I insulate my shed?

Associate
Hi. I bought a 6x10 foot shed, 19mm tongue and groove shed .I plan on using it for a hobby space / small workshop . For heating I will only be using a small fan heater and/or oil filled radiator. For power I'm running a 4 socket extension reel to it, with led baton light, and 2/3 small electric motor tools eg polishing wheel. I also will be keeping metal tools eg chisels and battery operated drills etc in it .

So should I bother using any insulation at all? I don't want the stuff to bake in the summer, and want to use it in the winter .But I'm worried about moisture if I'm heating it up in winter ..Also so much insulation is so expensive .Whether I use insulation or not I will be putting 18mm ply round the walls. And yes I'm aware to seal all gaps and beef up door window insulators .

Any advice would be really appreciated. Struggling to make the decision. Cheers.

Caporegime
Many reasons . Have you any advice on my query?

Well if you insulate it, it will bake in the summer. If you don't it will be freezing in the winter regardless of how you heat it as it's not designed to keep in warmth.

So having a proper purpose built summer house would be cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Obviously cost is an issue but if you want it done properly it costs to do so. Plus heating a shed in winter won't be cheap using an electric heater. Also it could be dangerous.

Which is why nobody really does this. Mind you I know someone who converted a shed into a wine drinking den but they were a proper bunny boiler with an extension lead hanging out a flat window to power a radio and lamp, etc.

People do what you are doing in a garage normally.

Caporegime
Just add some windows in the summer, it'll get warm but be do-able.

In the winter i've never found it too cold that i can't do things in my shed. once you're moving around it's generally fine.

it depends on where you live. I have a gym in my garage and it's far too cold to be nice to use in winter. i'm in scotland though there the temperature is far colder than say southern england.

it's usable but grabbing freezing cold metal bars isn't ideal

Soldato
I've only got a small garden shed of 6x8 in 12mm T&G but i've got a small workbench and do a few odd things in it during the winter, it heats up fairly quickly with just me in it with the door closed so i think a fan heater for a few mins would be ample as long as you're not spending 8 hours a day in it. Again in the summer just need to keep the door open and the temperature evens out pretty quickly.

I've only got solar power in mine which does the lights fine and i've never really thought about a heater.

Also summer houses are pretty much identical to sheds but with more windows so i've no idea how sonny thinks it'd be any different :confused:

Soldato
if you insulate it then you will need the heater less in the winter, it will keep it a bit cooler in summer but not much.

I think people normally stick about 50mm of the rigid stuff in sheds (walls, floor and roof)
probably still need some form of cooling in summer, either a portable aircon or at least a fan.

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the input! Might just stick up the plywood and leave the air gap, hopefully the ply will soak up any moisture after a heater is running in the colder weather.

Soldato
Should I insulate my shed ??

Of course you should it's a man job :D

The previous owner of my house lined the shed with ply but didn't put anything on roof so I stapled up some of that foil backed insulation- the thin stuff. - I also had some 4mm plastic sheeting so put that over the windows - I can't say it's made a great deal of difference as it's still very cold in the winter.

Associate
I've insulated all sides of my shed floor and roof, it can work wonders in summer to keep some heat out , in winter it works well too, I've spent many hours in there in the past , from model railways to having my pc in there for 2 years at one point made it into a man cave with carpets lol.

Got full lights and electric ring main too all to the board fused.

It cost me about £1000 at the time for shed, fully done insulation 50 mm all around
25 mm in floor, electrics inside wood14 ft x 6

Do it

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its a shed OP, whatever you do it doesn't matter as its a shed and its YOURS, never let anyone tell you what to do about your shed.

When you build/buy a shed of it crosses dimensional planes, sacred runes of "woman warding" are placed that are only visible to priests of shed level 98 and above, with the grand shed master (George Clarke) constantly emitting waves of positive shed energy (For George this is very much like a pumping heart it just happens).

Cherish your shed OP, Cherish it, for on occasion it will be the only place in the world where you will be truthfully happy and feel the warmth of positive shed energy from George.

Back
Top Bottom