Can you spare a few minutes to help with my dissertation?

Soldato
Done.

But out of interest...

"The information provided can be destroyed at your request."

How? As you don't capture any PII so as to link my submission to me?

Was that google forms standard text?

Soldato
Done.

But out of interest...

"The information provided can be destroyed at your request."

How? As you don't capture any PII so as to link my submission to me?

Was that google forms standard text?

more likely the university standard ethics checklist statement, he can't in-fact identify your survey as its quantitative.

Soldato
Done!

Hopefully one day it becomes the norm that all packaging is recyclable and it's not a more expensive alternative.

Also councils need to actually properly recycle the stuff. It's all right saying everything is recyclable but what's the point of it's just mixed in with normal landfill?

Soldato
Done. Personally I think it's the responsibility of the supermarket to address this, and I think consumer demand for it is middling at best. That said, I'd be interested to see the survey results

Soldato
Done.

Done. Personally I think it's the responsibility of the supermarket to address this, and I think consumer demand for it is middling at best. That said, I'd be interested to see the survey results

The issue is far more complex than this.

Currently each individual council implements their own policy as to what is/isn't recyclable and the procedures for doing so. As a result it is very difficult for any national retailer to implement a system of effectively managing single use plastics. It needs nationwide legislation to ensure that councils all operate in the same way aswell as efforts from all UK retailers.

You also need to bear in mind that for many products the supermarket is the retailer but not the manufacturer / supplier of the product. Whilst large supermarkets generally have strong working relationships with their supply chains and can influence things such as packaging it shouldn't be a tell culture that forces small suppliers in particular to have to suddenly re-invest in new packaging systems that could reduce their competitiveness in the market. legislation is the only way to consistently apply the change in a fair way to all suppliers.

A final point to consider is the balance between packaging and the overall environmental impact within the supply chain. Wasted product is also a significant impact on the environment and the right packaging can significantly reduce this.

In my view the reduction in single use package needs to be lead in 3 key ways:

• By government to drive legislative changes in consultation with retailers, suppliers and consumers
  • Retailers to lead change in the supply chain
  • Consumers to actively purchase products that have less packaging and be less led by glossy packaging

Back
Top Bottom