My new radiator seems to be full of an endless amount of junk.....

Soldato
.....and might be my fault?

As some of you will know from my spamming of this forum that i'm labouring my way through my first custom loop. I've been cleaning my rads out with distilled vinegar followed by hot water and after countless refills and shaking stuff is still coming out.

At first it was just black speckles which it was i was expecting but i'm now seeing something that looks very similar to sand. I have to assume this is copper.

I'm concerned that i may have been too aggressive with the vinegar and it's eaten away at the copper inside that rad.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Soldato
To give yourself peace of mind I would recommend getting the Mayhems Blitz kit.

Run Part-1 through the rads, flush with distilled, then run Part-2 either the entire loop or just the rads & pump

vinegar solution will not damage the rads

Soldato
What make of radiator is it, they all vary on the amount of cleaning they get before shipping and some do have loads of bits inside that takes some considerable flushing.

Soldato
vinegar solution will not damage the rads
It can, depending on how strong and how long you leave it in for. At the end of the day vinegar is an acid and copper is a metal - acids eat metal. I don't see a lot of failures from vinegar flushes, but it's easy to start producing copper salts and producing blue fluid.

Soldato
It's a Hardware Labs 360mmx60mm.

Having had a number of them, they can take a hell of a lot of rinsing - mix of white and black bits. It could just be whatever flux they use but I don’t know, all I know is my 240 and 360 took about 10 flushes, the 480 took 2 and was clean ;)

Associate
Ekwb says they clean their rads before shipping or something but I found them as dirty as my mayhems rads.

For the life of me I couldn't stop them little specs of black coming out when cleaning them though. Sometimes it would just be 1 spec but still concerned me. I have up in the end and stuck them in anyway. Was flushing for hours.

Associate
I'm guessing I've just been lucky with my HWL GTS and GTR rads as they have been clear after only 2 flushings? I'd take the time to flush the the loop with Mayhems blitz one shot

Soldato
I normally just plumb mine onto garden hosepipe and leave it running for a while. Then rinse with distilled and dry out with compressed air.

Mayhems part 1 is highly recommended though!

Back
Top Bottom