Daylight Saving Time

Caporegime
The whole idea (Especially during WW2 when energy consumption was critical) was to match daylight hours with "Most" of the general populations daily lives in order to reduce the need for heating and lighting homes and workplaces during the hours of darkness.

This is just as good an idea today as it was 70 years ago.

It is less relevant today as there is often less of a requirement to start work at some specified X o'clock and a bit more flexibility. Ergo for a lot of people it doesn't matter whether you pick BST or GMT... if you want to get up when it is light then just do that if you don't then don't.

This is especially true in the case of self employed farmers, in fact it always has been the case for them - no one is forcing them to get up any earlier or later, yet they've tended to oppose DST regardless.

Man of Honour
OP
Good and so everyone else should. This stupid one hr forward and one hr back nonsense is just that, absolute nonsense.

I’d prefer to have longer days than what we currently have.

While I’m sure that you meant that you’d prefer the days to be light for longer Yas, I think that you
led with your chin there, especially knowing the lightning reactions of the site’s resident wags.

Caporegime
Aye, lets petition for 25 or 26 hour days. This 24hr nonsense isn't cutting it theres nowhere near enough hours in the day!

Yes why not, 30 hr days at the very minimum ;).
While I’m sure that you meant that you’d prefer the days to be light for longer Yas, I think that you
led with your chin there, especially knowing the lightning reactions of the site’s resident wags.

You are indeed correct, I’d rather have light for longer.

Soldato
It is less relevant today as there is often less of a requirement to start work at some specified X o'clock and a bit more flexibility. Ergo for a lot of people it doesn't matter whether you pick BST or GMT... if you want to get up when it is light then just do that if you don't then don't.

This is especially true in the case of self employed farmers, in fact it always has been the case for them - no one is forcing them to get up any earlier or later, yet they've tended to oppose DST regardless.

That is why I said "Most" of the population.

As for farmers, this is the one industry that I would have thought was the least tied to the clock of all.

You plow the fields when they need plowing and milk the cows when they need milking.

Not because of where the big hand and the little hand happen to be pointing.

Soldato
Does it really matter? I never notice or feel any different when it changes, I don't even change the time all my devices just update straight away too

Back
Top Bottom