US: Star Trek: Discovery

Soldato
Jesus, I started out enjoying this series and I thought the 2nd season was a step towards improvements, but the moral high ground this show is taking and shoving down my throat is sickening.
Every 5 mins it's a moral issue that someone needs to search thier soul but in the end gets solved by this amazing technology they have (which doesnt conform to any of the previous ST universe) followed by heart warming love and joy, ending with an monologue by Burnham worthy of the biggest Oscar cry babies ever.
Will give it a few more episodes and hope for a different spin when they get to this red angel and spock.

Soldato
Jesus, I started out enjoying this series and I thought the 2nd season was a step towards improvements, but the moral high ground this show is taking and shoving down my throat is sickening.
Every 5 mins it's a moral issue that someone needs to search thier soul but in the end gets solved by this amazing technology they have (which doesnt conform to any of the previous ST universe) followed by heart warming love and joy, ending with an monologue by Burnham worthy of the biggest Oscar cry babies ever.
Will give it a few more episodes and hope for a different spin when they get to this red angel and spock.

Feeling the same. This show is so detached from for any other star treck series with regards to the level of tech at the supposed time etc, it just doesn't 'fit' for me.
Also, none of the characters are likeable to the extent I didn't give a crap when Saru looked a goner apart from how over the top
Burnhams reaction was.

Caporegime
Oh dear god, Episode 5: "Saints of Imperfection" was just god damn awful.
Not only were we subjected to more Tilly and the irritating and childish spore actress, but they decided, against all flipping sense and logic, to bring back the doctor. Why they would think this is a good idea is absolutely beyond me, and instead of having the balls to kill him off and keep the show more gritty they decided to invent an incredibly weak plot to get him back.

Then you factor in that Captain Pike knowingly risked annihilating the entire flagship and the lives of all his hundreds of crew to rescue Tilly based on very sketchy evidence and I would say that the Captains of the future seem like an extremely foolhardy and emotionally-driven lot. Still, I guess the plot wouldn't be so exciting if it weren't the case.

Anyway, for me this was utterly dreadful and easily the worst episode of the season. :mad:

So, on to Episode 6: "The Sound Of Thunder". This was enjoyable with some good Saru and Ba'ul action.
His is for me the most interesting plot line so far, and it was a good twist that the Kelpians were the predators and the Ba'ul the prey species who had managed to turn the tables and keep the Kelpians immature. We finally heard and saw the Ba'ul, and they were very well done imo, the voices were creepy and the final alien reveal looked like a creature out of a Guillermo del Toro movie... I was extremely surprised how they managed to pull that off. Never mind that the design of the aliens seems somewhat physiologically impractical (long and spindly limbs, hands seem unable to perform fine delicate work, and they are covered in black oily goop), or that Kelpians seem a rather unlikely aquatic predator, I think they did a decent job of creating something very evil-seeming and sinister.

What will be interesting is watching Saru continue to evolve and what new abilities he picks up, as well as whether he can handle his predatory rage well enough to stay a Starfleet officer. I also am very curious to see who these time-travelling angelic aliens are who are trying to reverse whatever fate has befallen the universe in the future.

A fun episode that felt suitably epic. :)

Soldato
Oh dear god, Episode 5: "Saints of Imperfection" was just god damn awful.
Not only were we subjected to more Tilly and the irritating and childish spore actress, but they decided, against all flipping sense and logic, to bring back the doctor. Why they would think this is a good idea is absolutely beyond me, and instead of having the balls to kill him off and keep the show more gritty they decided to invent an incredibly weak plot to get him back.

Then you factor in that Captain Pike knowingly risked annihilating the entire flagship and the lives of all his hundreds of crew to rescue Tilly based on very sketchy evidence and I would say that the Captains of the future seem like an extremely foolhardy and emotionally-driven lot. Still, I guess the plot wouldn't be so exciting if it weren't the case.

Anyway, for me this was utterly dreadful and easily the worst episode of the season. :mad:

So, on to Episode 6: "The Sound Of Thunder". This was enjoyable with some good Saru and Ba'ul action.
His is for me the most interesting plot line so far, and it was a good twist that the Kelpians were the predators and the Ba'ul the prey species who had managed to turn the tables and keep the Kelpians immature. We finally heard and saw the Ba'ul, and they were very well done imo, the voices were creepy and the final alien reveal looked like a creature out of a Guillermo del Toro movie... I was extremely surprised how they managed to pull that off. Never mind that the design of the aliens seems somewhat physiologically impractical (long and spindly limbs, hands seem unable to perform fine delicate work, and they are covered in black oily goop), or that Kelpians seem a rather unlikely aquatic predator, I think they did a decent job of creating something very evil-seeming and sinister.

What will be interesting is watching Saru continue to evolve and what new abilities he picks up, as well as whether he can handle his predatory rage well enough to stay a Starfleet officer. I also am very curious to see who these time-travelling angelic aliens are who are trying to reverse whatever fate has befallen the universe in the future.

A fun episode that felt suitably epic. :)

I agree, Episode 6 was an improvement over the previous weeks although I would have liked to have seen more of the Ba'ul, seemed strange it just went away and allowed Saru to escape and free his people (if I had to guess Ba'ul suffered from budget issues thanks to all the re-shots they had to do for the first 5 episodes).

What Alex Kurtzman doesn't get is there are interesting characters, you have Airiam (Robot lady) who sits in the background and is meant to be the 2nd officer but doesn't get to do anything. I mean she's a friggin robot there's loads of things you could with her but instead we get dumb stories with Tilly beating everyone in a running race and her imaginary friend. Pike could be really good but he gets his wings clipped all the time by Burnham.

Caporegime
After a couple of awful early episodes the show is now picking up pace nicely and I like the nods to the original series too.

For me the most annoying thing now that Tilly has been muted to tolerable levels is Donnie Yen's God-awful acting and voice... every time she opens her mouth with her badly pronounced English accent it makes me cringe. Add to that her wildly exaggerated cockiness and I find her scenes tougher to watch than others.

On another note, appears they added another random alien to the bridge this week... the one with the super weird buttface. :D

Soldato
You mean Michelle Yeoh??? ROFL!

Her cockiness fits well considering she was the Emperor of the Terran Empire in the mirror universe.

Get used to her as the show with her as the lead is set to beginning filming shortly.

Caporegime
You mean Michelle Yeoh??? ROFL!

Her cockiness fits well considering she was the Emperor of the Terran Empire in the mirror universe.

Get used to her as the show with her as the lead is set to beginning filming shortly.
A Terran empress that ruled an entire galaxy, subjugated thousands of races and even dined on some of the most intelligent would not be acting cocky like a 15-year old kid who just hit puberty. I won't get used to the show with her as her performance is cringeworthy, even down to her "Ooh aren't I naughty" facial expressions. As for her badly pronounced English, as I said earlier it's just jarring. I will at best 'tolerate' it.

Sadly her, Tyler ans Tilly are the three characters stopping this show from being truly convincing. Tyler is a drip who simply can't act convincingly with any sense of gravitas and Tilly is just overplayed to the point of tediozsness. If anyone sees her constant and unrealistic bumbling-verbal-diorrhea-spiel as captain material they need their heads checking.

However, I still like the show as overall it still has a fair bit going for it despite some periodic blips. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought when control infected that guy, that they were going to imply that Section 31 created the borg. Somehow it was very reminiscent of nanobots

Soldato
My thoughts on where it’s headed after the latest episode:
I feel like we’re watching the Borg origin story. I can’t remember the exact phrase in the episode but he even said something like “struggling is pointless” - will this be adapted to the classic “resistance is futile”?

Caporegime
My thoughts on where it’s headed after the latest episode:
I feel like we’re watching the Borg origin story. I can’t remember the exact phrase in the episode but he even said something like “struggling is pointless” - will this be adapted to the classic “resistance is futile”?
I really hope that is not the case as it throws away tons of well-established lore. The Borg had been developing as an advanced civilization for literally millennia before contact with Starfleet, hence their ridiculously advanced technology as well as having evolved into a collective. To be created now in 2255 would be a massive and near-unforgivable break in continuity from every other single Star Trek series. Hell, they even had Borg in Star Trek Enterprise which is set before Discovery.

The only way they could even slightly make it work would be if at the end Control somehow goes back in time and disappears to a far corner of the galaxy to establish what will be known as the future Borg.

Last edited:
Associate
On watching a you tube video with Alex kurtzman i’m Really going to have write this and may spark a few arguments but let it be.
How can you believe that Star Trek enterprise existed anything by Berman and Braga does not exist after writing Star Trek in there own image. If talking about time travel let’s address captain lurks death after stating ‘he would die alone’ oh yes work that one out then there’s the whole Wesley from TNG oh yes there’s a lot Berman And Braga have to answer for in fact the only Star Trek is TOS films 1-5 that’s it

Soldato
I really hope that is not the case as it throws away tons of well-established lore. The Borg had been developing as an advanced civilization for literally millennia before contact with Starfleet, hence their ridiculously advanced technology as well as having evolved into a collective. To be created now in 2255 would be a massive and near-unforgivable break in continuity from every other single Star Trek series. Hell, they even had Borg in Star Trek Enterprise which is set before Discovery.

The only way they could even slightly make it work would be if at the end Control somehow goes back in time and disappears to a far corner of the galaxy to establish what will be known as the future Borg.

What lore is there other than 'they came from the delta quadrant'? We don't know when they came from and we already know they are capable of time travel. It's a different method of time travel but the precedent is set. What's to say the Borg weren't created in Discovery times and shot back in to the past? In fact, why does there have to be only one origin?

Soldato
Google and consult Wikipedia and ye shall find a summary of all ST episodes in various series that specifically deal with Borg origins.

Would that be the same wiki article that says the origin was never made clear?

Origin
The origin of the Borg is never made clear, though they are portrayed as having existed for hundreds of thousands of years (as attested by Guinan and the Borg Queen)

That one? Lol

Last edited:
Caporegime
Would that be the same wiki article that says the origin was never made clear?
That one? Lol

I didn't say it was specific. My point is that everything in every other series has hinted towards a Delta quadrant origin, certainly not Alpha quadrant with zero mentioned about the federation created AI.

They can of course re-write what they want but I hope for their sake they make it believable.

Back
Top Bottom