Huawei p30

Associate
Can't decide between a p20 Pro at 385
M20 Pro at 513
P30 pep at 900 with sonos speaker so 700

I use my phone daily for TV shows on train so screen, battery, camera are all very important in that order. I do a lot of web browsing

Soldato
Well I can certainly r commend P20 Pro it's fantsdtic

New not that much more than refurbished though I paid 480 on the high Street for dual SIM version

Soldato

Zoom capabilities and low light photography looks a generation ahead of the competition.

Some issues with dynamic range in certain scenarios and looks like Samsung has an edge on certain video settings. At 2:08 it seems to do well keeping up with Samsung's Super Steady 1080p mode but would like to see it perform in a more challenging scene.

Soldato

Zoom capabilities and low light photography looks a generation ahead of the competition.

Some issues with dynamic range in certain scenarios and looks like Samsung has an edge on certain video settings. At 2:08 it seems to do well keeping up with Samsung's Super Steady 1080p mode but would like to see it perform in a more challenging scene.

Put the standard focal length camera up against some real competition.... A la Pixel 3. Thats what I would like to see.

There's no denying the zoom quality is first class. But I don't think the PQ of the main lens is as good as the Pixel's.

Associate
Mate 20 was £483 on eBay. They had 10% code then another’s code paydaymar. It was new from techsave2006 with 12m warranty but open seal classed as new.

They had the p20 pro for £380ish for anyone interested.

I see a few deals reposted and generally on hduk website if you are interested.

Soldato
Pretty tempting offer with Vodafone at the moment so been hovering over buy button today. Have been looking for a decent Bluetooth speaker so the pre-order offer with Sonos is attractive not to mention Spotify being included in the contract.

It's really the camera that I want the most out of a phone (I rarely takes videos as well) and not too fussed about Kirin lagging behind Snapdragon/Exynos as I never play any games on my phones. If honest, and this may sound silly, it's the lack of 3.5mm over Samsung offerings that's putting me off as I use earphones/headphones a lot.

Caporegime
I watched that video. Actually didn't think much of the p30. If I hadn't have known which phone 2 which I'd have said it's the worst

Associate
Above has been retracted, is it just video mode that's worse?? Other links have amazing pics

Think a general consensus tends to be that video recording is not as good on Huawei as other flagships. Sound quality is definitely worse in the comparisons I've seen

Associate
Pretty tempting offer with Vodafone at the moment so been hovering over buy button today. Have been looking for a decent Bluetooth speaker so the pre-order offer with Sonos is attractive not to mention Spotify being included in the contract.

It's really the camera that I want the most out of a phone (I rarely takes videos as well) and not too fussed about Kirin lagging behind Snapdragon/Exynos as I never play any games on my phones. If honest, and this may sound silly, it's the lack of 3.5mm over Samsung offerings that's putting me off as I use earphones/headphones a lot.

I'm also tempted with the Vodafone offer! Seems a decent price including the speaker and Spotify.

Can use a USB c to 3.5mm adapter? Not sure if that alters sound quality and it is an extra cable to lose I suppose. Can imagine that if you're constantly using headphones then the 3.5mm is pretty attractive!

Caporegime
Think a general consensus tends to be that video recording is not as good on Huawei as other flagships. Sound quality is definitely worse in the comparisons I've seen

Really sucks.
If this was a 500 pound phone can forgive it. But for 1k ish it's a big ask to buy

Soldato
That's the plan so see how I get on with the dongle but I'm really split between P30 Pro and S10+ at the moment. Have until the 4th to make up my mind when the speaker offer runs out :p

There's also lack of 4k60 if you're into that and yeah, generally it looks worse than the likes of Samsung. I would like to see some action 1080p footage though to see how their stabilisation copes compared to Samsung's Super Steady Shot.

Caporegime
I'm also tempted with the Vodafone offer! Seems a decent price including the speaker and Spotify.

Can use a USB c to 3.5mm adapter? Not sure if that alters sound quality and it is an extra cable to lose I suppose. Can imagine that if you're constantly using headphones then the 3.5mm is pretty attractive!

Problem with these cables (I believe) is they are doing the conversion to analogue? So they flake out a lot and affect the sound quality?

My issue is
Id be paying a lot more and only for a few features

Headphones is a downgrade
Camera is an upgrade

That's about it

Is it worth 600 - 700 (additional cost) for that ? Doesn't feel like it

Soldato
Well it all depends what you're coming from and what you want in a phone. Two things I value the most are camera and battery life, which is where the phone appears to deliver. The downsides of lower res screen, not the fastest SoC and video that I rarely take are of less concern. Not to mention that none of those are exactly awful, just not quite the top dog.

Also in my case after I calculated the cost of the speaker even at 70% value (since there will be a flood for sale), Spotify and what I pay now for almost identical SIM only, I will essentially be paying £17 a month or £408 for the phone which is reasonable.

It's literally the lack of 3.5mm jack that's making me hesitate as I use my headphones a lot and as above, just don't hear (no pun intended) good things about these adapters. Hence why I have until the 4th to decide, once the speaker is out of equation the value proposition isn't as good so S10+ wins.

Either will be a huge upgrade as I'm currently on Samsung Alpha since S7 Edge is going to the insurance for repair!

Caporegime
Well it all depends what you're coming from and what you want in a phone. Two things I value the most are camera and battery life, which is where the phone appears to deliver. The downsides of lower res screen, not the fastest SoC and video that I rarely take are of less concern. Not to mention that none of those are exactly awful, just not quite the top dog.

Also in my case after I calculated the cost of the speaker even at 70% value (since there will be a flood for sale), Spotify and what I pay now for almost identical SIM only, I will essentially be paying £17 a month or £408 for the phone which is reasonable.

It's literally the lack of 3.5mm jack that's making me hesitate as I use my headphones a lot and as above, just don't hear (no pun intended) good things about these adapters. Hence why I have until the 4th to decide, once the speaker is out of equation the value proposition isn't as good so S10+ wins.

Either will be a huge upgrade as I'm currently on Samsung Alpha since S7 Edge is going to the insurance for repair!

Just go bluetooth, I was hesitant. But the small loss of audio quality is far worth it.

Back
Top Bottom