Renovation costs

Caporegime
Just saw a house which could be a dream but needs some renovations. Didn't have this in mind so totally unprepared but we might have to move quickly so I'm looking to scrap together some quotes.

House is in Switzerland, so looking at London?SE prices for a reputable builder and I will add 50%. I don;t want to do much work myself even although I know labour costs are massive in Switzerland.

The house is form 1972 so I am assuming structurally sound/roof OK but will of course do a survey. The condition is fine, just a bit dated. Main issues for a quote:

• Re-flooring about 100m^2. It has old terracotta type red tiles. Mostly OK but dated and some cracks. I assume concrete floor underneath. Will need ripping up, likely leveling compound. I'm thinking of tiles, don;t need to be high end. Something like the following seems decent and cheap enough, so main issue is labour. There are radiators and the floor induced some corridor. https://www.hornbach.ch/shop/Carrel...ometec-Ivory-mat-60x60cm/6583368/article.html
  • Replace windows. Need double or triple glazing, don't want to cheap out. I don;t have exact dimensions, but there are 7 large windows, 6 small windows for bathrooms, 1 very large window/slide door on to a patio, 3 or 4 velux windows in roof.
  • Modern glass/steel type staircase for 1 floor. Straight and easy.
  • Installation of a small toilet. There is already a nice shower and sink but not toilet. Not a big issues and would likely upgrade later.
  • Kitchen. Kitchen is new but cheapest ikea stuff. So looks kind of OK but is a bit naff. Could leave it but definitely want to remove useless ugly bar area and install a few more cabinets. These I can price up from ikea. How much does a medium priced 10m length of granite/stone kitchen counter cost to buy/install?
There will be some general maintenance and painting. I can do some of this myself or it can be done some time later. I don't think any electrical or plumping needs touching.

Realtor listed stupid prices like 12K CHF to replace windows, finally said 80k CHF to do the above. 80K works and feels realistic, but I fear more like doubling that. In which case we can;t afford the house.

Associate
Not a clue on Swiss prices, but we've been renovating a 1950's stone house for the past few months (£25k so far) and have learnt:

If the floors are odd levels once you've taken everything up (kitchen higher than living room), it's because you haven't taken everything up.
If you're putting down tiles, spec underfloor heating.
Things will take longer than you expect.
10% contingency on costs will be eaten quite happily. There will be more to buy than you think, anticipate going over budget.

We ended up moving in before things were finished, either due to money or time. Thankfully we had finished to a liveable state before we had to move in!

Back
Top Bottom