Commodore Amiga owners thread!

Associate
I had an Amiga 500 (not sure on RAM) or other specifics other than a tape recorder and like yourself I stayed clear of the Atari ST as that was really just for musicians ;)

Main games I recall playing most were Lemmings, Syndicate (brilliant game) and one whose name escape me atm but it was top down control army soliders point and click were you wanted them and shoot em up.

I've got an emulator up and running on my PC but have unable to really get into using it despite it emulating a super Amiga with hi-res etc as its not the same wow factor given todays PCs as it was back then.

I think this is the army game you were talking about ,Cannon fodder ,loved it :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fl1pCPb504

Caporegime
Do want.
Custom job Neil?

A1200 Escom board - Fully Recapped
ACA 25mhz 128mb Accelerator
8GB CF + Games + ClassicWB (Enhanced)
A1200 Amiga Case Kickstarter - First release project for a hardware review
A1200 KeyCaps Kickstarter - First release project for hardware review
Black Gotek with USB and full installed setup - Hardware review
Amiga 1200 custom LED's

Thankyou :) :D

Associate
Been 20-odd years since I played with my Amigas. The 1200's HDD died, so got one of the CF to IDE widgets, plugged it in, booted up great. Plugged in my mouse, now machine is more or less dead. Suspect the mouse has corroded/died/shorted after 20 years in parent's attic.

The 3000's battery has leaked everywhere and melted the board, and the PSU looks kinda rusty. Not been brave enough to turn it on yet...

Associate
I have a nice collection of old computers that I love, I never knew why people hated the A600 as its quite nice. Anyway on my amiga range of stuff I have an A600 with a gotek, (and boxed unmodded) an A1200 with a gotek (and a boxed unmodded desktop dynamite). I also have the hated Amiga CD32 with a terrible fire 328 card that expands the ram to 8mb and an 8gb cf card. Oh I do have the classic controller as well as the competition pro honeybee, as far as playing games the CD32 with the cf card can play anything and everything due to the expansion card so a ps2 keyboard & amiga mouse makes it an A1200 of sorts. The amiga was such a great machine that shouldve lasted longer than it did if it wasnt for the backhanded sale to escom, anyway with all stuff retro these things get seriously expensive so I'm happy most of my kit was from when I was a lot younger :D

Man of Honour
The CD32 was amazing and ahead of its time. I don't think the A600 was hated, just a bit disappointing it was more or less just a A500+ rebadged :)

Associate
The CD32 was amazing and ahead of its time. I don't think the A600 was hated, just a bit disappointing it was more or less just a A500+ rebadged :)

The CD32 was actually a pile of dog mess, it was a complete failure. If the pricing was right all that was needed was the A1200 with an affordable cd drive attachment. The A600 was also a complete waste of money and resources.

Associate
The CD32 was actually a pile of dog mess, it was a complete failure. If the pricing was right all that was needed was the A1200 with an affordable cd drive attachment. The A600 was also a complete waste of money and resources.

I tend to agree. The A600 was a solution to a problem that didn't really exist; it was basically an A500+ in a more modern, smaller package. The internals were already obsolescent. I guess CBM were trying to cut manufacturing costs of the A500 family, but they would have been far better releasing the A1200 as a true A500 successor sooner, or even put the resources into the abortive AAA chipset, which made the AGA/AA chipset in the A1200/A4000/CD32 look basic by comparison.

The whole A1200/CD32 situation was a mess too. Yes, the CD32 was based on the A1200, but it also included an additional chip - Akiko - which the A1200 did not have, and the CD add-on did not contain/support, thereby meaning that developers could either develop games for the meagre number of CD32 owners and really push the hardware, or go with lesser games to support the wider A1200 community. Getting AGA games was hard enough!

Soldato
Loved my little A600 when I first got it. Sure the A1200 was better but it wasn't a bad little machine.

I think a lot of the problems with the Amiga, and why they didn't jump massively forward (especially as x86 processors were out) was maintaining compatibility. The massive back log of game was really appealing to people (mainly because they could get a copy from a mate) but they never had a plan to push forward.

M.

Associate
Great thread.

I arrived into Amiga gaming on the A600 Wild and Weird pack. Within a few days I had managed to draw and animate a picture of a dog on Deluxe Paint III. That soon took a dive to the gutter with rude animations.

Silly Putty was ok, Push Over meh.... But Microprose GP was amazing. The manual was very detailed too which was great for an F1 geek like me. Having to manually input and use the correct team and driver names from the manual was cool.

I'll admit to only buying a few genuine titles (I was 12/13) when I had mines. Syndicate was an official boxed game, loved that.

Soon became apparent that an extra disk drive was essential for that and Monkey Island which I still play on Xbox BC.

Reading this thread has got me hankering for one again!

Associate
I was kindly given an A1200 recently, which was greatly appreciated as we always wanted an a500 as kids, but never got one.

I used to love playing Walker, Bart vs Space Mutants and Shadow Of the Beast 2 when i was younger.
So many great game memories and I never even owned one!

The most memorable characteristic has to be the "Amiga Panpipes". A Particular Instrument that developers couldn't get enough of, and something i never heard on many other computers since. :D

Caporegime
thumbnail_AP_albumcover.jpg

What a great way to start a Friday as we can now officially announce that the Amiga Power : The Album With Attitude Kickstarter has now launched and is ready for your pledges! This new Kickstarter from Matthew Smith, is a serious treat for Amiga game and or music lovers, as it will feature not just a Mighty Booklet, but two discs spanning over 30 tracks of remixes from classic games such as Apidya, Banshee, Blob and many many more!

https://bit.ly/2HKF66j

Man of Honour
Today my towered A1200 let some magic smoke out. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Feared the worst. But looks like a capacitor just popped. I can live with that. It's not been recapped at all, so it's something that will be done. Will also change the very old (and slightly rusty) AT psu to a nice shiny new ATX one. Will be smaller and quieter, as well as more efficient.

Will be down for a while, but will be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom