Dreaded exhausts

Soldato
The main problem with the cheap exhausts is the noise, some sound awful and drone when cruising. That is part of the reason the expensive ones are expensive.

Associate
I bought a cheap stainless one for my celica T-Sport off ebay around 4 years ago, I suspect it is the same one you will have bought as they still make it now.
For the money I cannot fault it, not stupidly loud on the motorway and if you do find it too loud my one came with a bung which made it only a little louder than stock, I'm very happy with it, looks great, good quality and so much cheaper than a custom made one.

Associate
Celica T-Sport 2003 - 76K miles

Original exhaust system.

MOT fail due to emissions caused by cracked weld around rear silencer - allegedly.

Downstream o2 sensor showing ECU fault - possibly caused by lack of pressure due to above hole in exhaust.

New sensor purchased - not yet fitted.

New rear section of exhaust (system is in 2 parts) - circa 400 squids fitted.

No thanks!

Patched up with some gunge to pass MOT - might last anything from a few days to weeks to months.. anyones guess..

ECU codes reset - o2 sensor should now be happy as the gunge is holding the exhaust pressure right?

Fault codes appear shortly after leaving said MOT establishment. Unsurprised is I.

Interesting suggestions emerge from MOT establishment regarding a local bloke that does custom built stainless steel exhaust systems! Potentially cheaper than OEM or 3rd party replacement parts, and being stainless steel will probably outlive the lifetime of the car itself and possibly me too!

Peaked interest is.

Attempt to contact said Stainless Steel artiste via website form leads to no response...

Further investigation of Stainless Steel man's facebook page reveals he is allegedly booked up for the next few months, hence the lack of response perhaps? (or maybe he just doesn't check his mail :D)

Wondered if anyone has experience of custom built exhaust systems on their cars and whether it's worth going this route or just forking out for some crappy aftermarket effort with only 12 month warranty?

I plan to keep the car forever - have owned it since 2004. So a decent long lasting solution would be welcomed.
it will be power flow. There as good as the guy fitting it. if you plan to go custom replace your rubber hangers, some people keep the original rubbers and they don’t hold the weight well and I have to pack them with Tyre valves and zip ties to try and restrict movement.

If your not chasing big power then power flow are good but if you’re after 800bhp from a 1000cc 3 cylinder go elsewhere, power flow don’t supply inserts to stop the bender from crushing the pipe so it looks like the bends on a std mild steel pipe

Last edited:
Associate
[
Flow will speed up slightly though the bend and slow back down as soon as the pipe opens up, there is no restrictions.

Any restrictions would be at the box were they have used a box with a smaller dia hole because they have non in stock

Flow is different from speed - an exhaust made of bends wouldn't flow better than straight pipe

and secondly I was taking about crush bends - ie. not mandrel bent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9z2pAmk3XI

explained here

Associate
Flow is different from speed - an exhaust made of bends wouldn't flow better than straight pipe

and secondly I was taking about crush bends - ie. not mandrel bent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9z2pAmk3XI

explained here
you said the crush bends restricted performance. Crush or mandrel the difference in flow is little you won’t even notice it.

But as a whole system vs stock system the powerflow will flow better and for a road car crush bends are fine

Associate
OP
Is this the one you've gone for:

Bought this from ebay in the end:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It's basically a stock replacement (non stainless). Cost 30 quid to get fitted at a local garage - so £190 overall, less than 50% what the original garage wanted for essentially the same thing.

Has a slightly deeper exhaust note which seems a little louder under acceleration.

Will look at a full stainless system when this one drops off!

Soldato
Bought this from ebay in the end:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-1-8-Vvti-2Zzge-Zzt231-1-Coupe-99-Exhaust-Silencer-Flex-Pipe/401464050891?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It's basically a stock replacement (non stainless). Cost 30 quid to get fitted at a local garage - so £190 overall, less than 50% what the original garage wanted for essentially the same thing.

Has a slightly deeper exhaust note which seems a little louder under acceleration.

Will look at a full stainless system when this one drops off!

Bargain, thanks for the reply. Was cautious of that one as it doesn't state the diameter of the pipe as the t-sport is bigger than standard. Did it also come with the chrome tip or were you able to remove it from the old one?

I'm not fussed about added performance or more noise, if anything I find the stock exhaust a bit loud but then it is now about 20% weld paste :p

Haven't had a proper quote yet though as it got through the mot, just getting noisier and it sounds like a heat shield has come loose as well.

Associate
OP
Bargain, thanks for the reply. Was cautious of that one as it doesn't state the diameter of the pipe as the t-sport is bigger than standard. Did it also come with the chrome tip or were you able to remove it from the old one?

I'm not fussed about added performance or more noise, if anything I find the stock exhaust a bit loud but then it is now about 20% weld paste :p

Haven't had a proper quote yet though as it got through the mot, just getting noisier and it sounds like a heat shield has come loose as well.

Not sure on the diameter, though they said they had no issues fitting it and didn't need any other parts so assume it's a direct replacement.

Only downside was the chrome tip - had hoped they could swap it on to the new exhaust but it's spot welded on. I did take the old pipe home so will have a go at removing it and attaching to the new one myself. :D

Back
Top Bottom