**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Associate
Probably a more Android generic question, but is there a way to stop the screen coming on when the phone is fully charged? The missus keeps waiting up every night when the phone is fully charged. :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So having used the Samsung S10e for a few days I have some thoughts.

The hardware is really nice, the screen is excellent. No issues with the hardware, unlike my launch Pixel 2 that had issues with screen and buzzing on calls.

The Samsung One UI is pretty decent, comparing this against stock Android I have to say I prefer stock. This has led me to believe that the best phone for me would be the Pixel 4 out later this year.

I am thinking of returning the S10e and getting a stop gap phone until the Pixel 4 is out. My first thought was that the Pixel 2 XL can be had for 400 new and that would be a solid phone to carry me through most of the year while not giving me a terrible phone. Not sure how much a 6 month old Pixel 2 XL will be worth when when the Pixel 4 comes out but I imagine I'd lose about 200-250. I'd lose more if I kept the S10e until October and sold it. The other option I have is a grade A Pixel 2 XL for about 300, but then I'd invite risk.

Soldato
So having used the Samsung S10e for a few days I have some thoughts.

The hardware is really nice, the screen is excellent. No issues with the hardware, unlike my launch Pixel 2 that had issues with screen and buzzing on calls.

The Samsung One UI is pretty decent, comparing this against stock Android I have to say I prefer stock. This has led me to believe that the best phone for me would be the Pixel 4 out later this year.

I am thinking of returning the S10e and getting a stop gap phone until the Pixel 4 is out. My first thought was that the Pixel 2 XL can be had for 400 new and that would be a solid phone to carry me through most of the year while not giving me a terrible phone. Not sure how much a 6 month old Pixel 2 XL will be worth when when the Pixel 4 comes out but I imagine I'd lose about 200-250. I'd lose more if I kept the S10e until October and sold it. The other option I have is a grade A Pixel 2 XL for about 300, but then I'd invite risk.

Why don't you keep the S10e and sell it later on if you want the Pixel 4?

Soldato
Probably a more Android generic question, but is there a way to stop the screen coming on when the phone is fully charged? The missus keeps waiting up every night when the phone is fully charged. :D

I have only noticed it a few times when I've woken up Scope...suppose 2 solutions there.

Charge is that quick do it earlier then leave it off charge...or what I'm doing, turning it over.

Associate
Where would rather buy S10e,
Samsung store , Argos or CPW?

Samsung store is a bit far from my house but cpw and Argos are within walking range?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Something else I forgot to mention in my S10e thoughts. Animations are laggy quite often.

Edit:

Bought Pixel 2 XL from eBay, the price seems good from a decent seller. Not bad for £275.

Condition: Grade A - Perfect Condition, Colour: Black & White (Panda), Network: Unlocked, Storage Capacity: 64 GB

Last edited:
Associate
Something else I forgot to mention in my S10e thoughts. Animations are laggy quite often.

Edit:

Bought Pixel 2 XL from eBay, the price seems good from a decent seller. Not bad for £275.

Condition: Grade A - Perfect Condition, Colour: Black & White (Panda), Network: Unlocked, Storage Capacity: 64 GB

Anyone else with S10e is the animation laggy for you also ?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Anyone else with S10e is the animation laggy for you also ?

It's not all the time, you can try and make it laggy and it'll be smooth. Then you'll throw up the app switcher and it will have a hick up, or unlock the phone/go to home screen and again it will be a little janky.

Soldato

Edit:

Pixel 2 XL is a good phone, I really did like mine but you will notice a significant downgrade in screen quality I'm sorry to say. My 2XL was pretty good, the blue shift was minimal but the colours were poor. Especially as you're coming from the S10e (albeit a short period of usage) the difference in display will be night and day. The displays are also virtually the same size, just 0.2 inch in it.

Also the 4gb RAM is just paltry in the 2XL - my apps were forever self closing when left idle for anything over 30mins or so. I don't want to sound like I'm hating on the Pixel as I said I really liked mine but it's just 'so 2017' :p

I haven't noticed that much lag with the S10e - lag was one of the reasons I left Samsung and went with the OG Pixel XL but this newer OS seems fine. You can also go into Developer Options and change the animation scale from x1 to x0.5 which makes a noticeable difference.

Associate
I have iPhone 8 and in all honesty there are occasional lag and dare I say app crashes or even springboard reloads but not on a daily basis.

I have said this before I think android need a ala iOS 12 update where apple ‘apparently’ cleaned up and general polished the OS and held of headline features.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Pixel 2 XL is a good phone, I really did like mine but you will notice a significant downgrade in screen quality I'm sorry to say. My 2XL was pretty good, the blue shift was minimal but the colours were poor. Especially as you're coming from the S10e (albeit a short period of usage) the difference in display will be night and day. The displays are also virtually the same size, just 0.2 inch in it.

Also the 4gb RAM is just paltry in the 2XL - my apps were forever self closing when left idle for anything over 30mins or so. I don't want to sound like I'm hating on the Pixel as I said I really liked mine but it's just 'so 2017' :p

I haven't noticed that much lag with the S10e - lag was one of the reasons I left Samsung and went with the OG Pixel XL but this newer OS seems fine. You can also go into Developer Options and change the animation scale from x1 to x0.5 which makes a noticeable difference.

I had a Pixel 2 a while back so I'm OK with the short comings of the Pixel 2 XL. The black crush for me was the most annoying part of the Pixel 2/XL screen. I enjoyed the camera and software experience. I'll be upgrading to the Pixel 4 at the end of the year, so a £275 Grade A XL will be fine until then, it's not a long term keeper.

Soldato
I had a Pixel 2 a while back so I'm OK with the short comings of the Pixel 2 XL. The black crush for me was the most annoying part of the Pixel 2/XL screen. I enjoyed the camera and software experience. I'll be upgrading to the Pixel 4 at the end of the year, so a £275 Grade A XL will be fine until then, it's not a long term keeper.
Just bear in mind that the displays on the 2 and the 2XL are different. The 2 had a significantly better display.
What happens when the 4 comes along with insufficient RAM and a MASSIVE camera hole punch? :p
Google do seem to have made a living out of being 6 months behind the trend...think massive chin/bezels on OG Pixel, only slightly better on the 2 and a notch that wouldn't look out of place in the Adams Family on the 3 XL!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Just bear in mind that the displays on the 2 and the 2XL are different. The 2 had a significantly better display.
What happens when the 4 comes along with insufficient RAM and a MASSIVE camera hole punch? :p
Google do seem to have made a living out of being 6 months behind the trend...think massive chin/bezels on OG Pixel, slightly better on the 2 and a notch that wouldn't look out of place in the Adams Family on the 3 XL!

Yea their release schedule needs to be shifted for sure. If they dropped it middle of the year then they would be spot on.

I'm quite confident the Pixel 4 will finally nail the hardware.

Soldato
I was about to ask if anyone has got their free buds, I got a verified email a while back but haven’t seen anything yet. I’ve been on holiday for two weeks and expected to have them when I got back

I've got mines mate...seems like they're slowly working their way through the back orders.

Soldato
Can anyone shed some light on the fast wireless charging for me please. As I've been away from Samsung since S6 and been on Pixels I haven't had wireless charging for a while. Is 'fast wireless charging' rated at 10W? I bought a 10W charger from the rainforest and no matter what combination of chargers and cables (including the ones supplied with the phone) I cannot get it to fast wireless charge - and I've made sure it's enabled in the settings. Accubattery has the charge at 5W steady no matter what I use.

Associate

Edit:

Hope the screen isn't a complete mess! LG Panel.

Back
Top Bottom