Faulty Audi....in warranty.

Associate
A fault code, a Audi "Technician" has witnessed it not starting, video proof and being towed by AA should be clear cut the car that there is problem with fuel related.
I had this problem with my 208 Gti where the car would start and drive fine but if you left it to idle long enough or engine off for 5-10mins and try start again the car will start idling rough and then eventually cut off with a EML fault, cleared it and car started but the engine was idling very badly and eventually cut off.
Leave the car alone until its cooled down it start again with no issues but as mentioned it start developing problem if you leave it alone long enough as fuel pump could not provide enough pressure.
Both the high pressure and low pressure fuel pump got replaced and the high pressure fuel pump is a common fault that can potentially go wrong.

Soldato
With warranty work in order for the dealers themselves to get paid they also have to go through hoops and in reality some just can't be bothered which is why you end up with a crap customer experience. I've had this with my 3 series, the vibes the dealer gives off are they could give a gnats sac about your problems which are covered under warranty as they know they'll be getting the lowest hourly rates from any warranty work.

The thing I fail to understand is if the head office themselves think they are only worth x amount an hour why the hell that charge drastically increase with a paying customer, the tec is stil lteh same with the same limited knowledge!

Soldato
If you're over half way through the finance agreement you can terminate when you like
Yup ! “Voluntary termination” if you’re on HP or PCP.

The finance companys don’t like you doing it. So they don’t tell you about it.

You can only do it provided 50% of the total amount owed, is paid off.

If I’m wrong someone correct me. :p

Soldato
Do you have documentation of fault codes they have cleared, before it re-started, and technicians acknowledging reproducing problem ?
accompanied with that I can't see why you can't drive them to speculative component replacement eg injectors.

they're giving you a loaner car ?

Soldato
OP
Do you have documentation of fault codes they have cleared, before it re-started, and technicians acknowledging reproducing problem ?
accompanied with that I can't see why you can't drive them to speculative component replacement eg injectors.

they're giving you a loaner car ?

I'll see what paperwork she has. She said the first time the AA man lifted the rear seats and did something to the fuel pump, it started.

They turned it off and then it wouldnt start again. He then decided to tow it to Audi.

Yes, they've given her an A1.

Soldato
I know it isn't any use to you but Audi were absolutely fantastic when I had my A3 on lease a couple of years back. It was in and out of the garage every few months. BMW on the other hand have been shocking, the charge you to look at the car under warranty and then find and excuse at all not to pay out or do the paperwork.

Associate
I know it isn't any use to you but Audi were absolutely fantastic when I had my A3 on lease a couple of years back. It was in and out of the garage every few months. BMW on the other hand have been shocking, the charge you to look at the car under warranty and then find and excuse at all not to pay out or do the paperwork.
A lot of dealers but particularly most german manufacturers seem to have a business practice in charging you for checking the car.
My older brother with his mk6 golf GTI took it to our local VW dealer and asked them how much it cost to buy and fit a intake manifold as he knows its a reached its lifespan and its the part that is causing the problem, but VW dealer were insisting they want to have a look at the car first before doing it and wanted to charge £89-120 for the "inspection" and they want the car for the whole day just for them to plug it into their diagnostic kit.

Soldato
Mazda tried to charge me £75 plus VAT to plug their computer into my car.
I already had the codes read with ForScan. Even showed this to them but they refused to work on the car until they used their own computer.

I walked away. Fixed it myself

Soldato
OP
Well.....Audi handed it back saying they 'couldn't do anything about it as it wasn't faulting'.

3 days later, it died again. This time the Audi assist guy came, not the AA . Lifted the rear seats and said 'That's definitely the fuel pump that. I've not done one for a bit on one of these but they're known to be weak'.

He got it running, she drove it home and he said he'd come back and fit a new fuel pump on the drive.

2 days later he was back with the fuel pump and since, not one issue.

Why Audi couldn't resolve this themselves when it was towed to them 3 times I don't know.

Soldato
With warranty work in order for the dealers themselves to get paid they also have to go through hoops and in reality some just can't be bothered which is why you end up with a crap customer experience. I've had this with my 3 series, the vibes the dealer gives off are they could give a gnats sac about your problems which are covered under warranty as they know they'll be getting the lowest hourly rates from any warranty work.

The thing I fail to understand is if the head office themselves think they are only worth x amount an hour why the hell that charge drastically increase with a paying customer, the tec is stil lteh same with the same limited knowledge!

Most of it is also down to book-time for repair work. I.e. if you went in and the problem was obvious, the component to replace had a book-time of 3 hours and the mechanic fitted it in 2.5hrs then his productivity rate goes up. In the OP's case it's likely the book-time for the fault find was an hour, and any further time spent would be reducing the mechanics productivity rate and he then gets a grilling off his service manager.

In an ideal "honest" world, dealers would allow their mechanics to take as much time as needed for fault finding, and only measure productivity based on the actual replacement of the failed part.

Soldato
Well.....Audi handed it back saying they 'couldn't do anything about it as it wasn't faulting'.

3 days later, it died again. This time the Audi assist guy came, not the AA . Lifted the rear seats and said 'That's definitely the fuel pump that. I've not done one for a bit on one of these but they're known to be weak'.

He got it running, she drove it home and he said he'd come back and fit a new fuel pump on the drive.

Why Audi couldn't resolve this themselves when it was towed to them 3 times I don't know.

Because they are no more than tablet/laptop monkies these days who after pushing a button want to be told what they should do and as you've found out if the fault clears then nothing is reported so they push the car back to you. Boils my yellow liquid, especially more knowing the hourly rates charged for these push button monkies. I also think that as there is little or no investigation work involved they don't seem to remember previous faults hence why they are unable to diagnose anything.

Well it's my opinion anyway, which in reality doesn't mean a fat lot in the big wide world :D

Man of Honour
Sadly the modern mechanic is driven by lap top diagnosis and workshop allocations.

When problems like this occurs it just doesn't fit their model and you have to become a real pain in the ass to get stuff fixed.

Soldato

Make sure you leave them a fitting review online, or perhaps make a complaint to their customer services. You'll probably get a couple of freebies out of them.

A lot of dealers these days are shocking for anything which requires proper diagnosis. I remember when I had my old BMW which was under under warranty, BMW were great if the problem presented itself every time without fail, and the computer was telling them what the problem was. They sorted my electric water pump, fuel pump and injectors without a hitch (all of which would cause the car to go into limp mode every time it started). However as soon as I ran into even a vaguely intermittent fault, which I knew would take some investigation, it was a nightmare. It normally took at least 3 visits of "oh we've turned off the light, just see if it comes back on" rubbish before they'd start blindly changing parts, and 5 visits before they got the right part. Often, I'd know the part that was at fault anyway and could have changed it myself for less than the cost of fuel going to and from the dealer. If I had a warranty these days I'd get the one with the biggest excess and only take it to the dealer if expensive parts completely failed (gearbox/turbos/engines) - i'd fix everything else myself.

Back
Top Bottom