Bohemian Rhapsody

Soldato
Yeah it was a bit weird that that particular scene was so accurate but then the rest of the film was apparently littered with inaccuracies - but it didn't really affect my viewing because I wasn't aware it was wrong at the time!

First rule of biopics: They are only based on fact. I know BR pushes the bounderies of the term based on fact but it isn't the first biopic to do so and it wont be the last. People are just a little bent out of shape because it's not the factually accurate retelling they wanted it to be. Boo hoo.

Soldato
have to say, i've always looked on stuff like this as what it is - a filmed/fictionalised telling, not a documentary. wrong facts might nark me a bit but unless they're ridiculous or insulting it's not generally a deal-breaker. eg, i loved "Dragon: the bruce lee story" - took some liberties, but was fun and entertaining, so it sits on my dvd rack.
on the other hand, "serpent & the rainbow" ended up so far removed and silly that i haven't seen it since i saw it on release at the cinny many years ago. "based on" the book seemed to mean "we used the same title" and that was about it.

Man of Honour

** You've tried that joke before. Let's not rehash your issues with the film, particularly as it's tiresome **

Apparently the Motley Crue film The Dirt is all over the place but I know bugger all about them and just enjoyed it.
I'm not a Motley Crue fan but I like some songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
They might as well have just shown the actual live aid concert rather than replicate it exactly.

No, that would have been silly although it would have been nice to swap between the two, or perhaps change it completely over to freddie for the last scene and ended it that way (maybe too emotional)..........I think they had the original playing on the wembley screens though?

Soldato
Really enjoyed the film despite the liberties it took discussed ad nauseam. One thing that really struck me was that despite this being a film with full access to dramatic camera angles, lighting effects, fancy cuts, etc, etc, the film version of Live Aid is nowhere near as good as the original. It's a testament to what an amazing showman Freddy Mercury was, backed up by an amazing band that 34 years on it wasn't possible to replicate the dynamism shown at Live Aid.

Man of Honour
I was annoyed with all the liberties taken to the way Freddie was portrayed i.e a selfish drunk. It was as almost as if Brian and Roger wanted to rewrite the history books.

As far as I remember Freddie did say he wasn't a nice person and wondered why the others stuck with him.
What annoyed me was at the beginning in real life Freddie was just camp like a lot of artists of the day but the film had him as 100% gay from the start.
It was years before we actually realised he was gay but we also weren't surprised, it was only when he came out did he start becoming the stereotype camp gay.

Back
Top Bottom