• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA RTX PRICE DROP: PRICES ARE COMING DOWN!!

Associate
Yep, thanks to the "must have Nvidia at any cost" people. All those people have done is shoot themselves in the foot. The AMD VII card is a belter card. People should be supporting AMD so they can catch up with Nvidia or offer some sort of competition in the high end again. More money for AMD R&D, means lower prices later on as Nvidia will have to be competitive price wise. God help those people having to turn a graphics dial down a notch to get 60FPS on an AMD card....
I personally think the VII is expensive as a gaming card too, but the main reason I wouldn't look at it is the noise. Sure, you can mod them and improve the situation, but frankly I'd rather just not bother. Perhaps if we get some AIB model it will become more appealing.

If I didnt have a card thats still capable with modern titles, the GPU I would be looking at right now is the 1660ti, and no others from either team.

Associate
I personally think the VII is expensive as a gaming card too, but the main reason I wouldn't look at it is the noise. Sure, you can mod them and improve the situation, but frankly I'd rather just not bother. Perhaps if we get some AIB model it will become more appealing.

If I didnt have a card thats still capable with modern titles, the GPU I would be looking at right now is the 1660ti, and no others from either team.

what lets the 1660ti down is the 6g of vram, no good for anything high res but 1080 and 1280 its sufficient.

Soldato
This is very true of apple and they also don't mind failures through out there branding. and now it seems NVidia are following apples marketing strategy. price high even if failures loom in the market, ignore customers and drag the loyal into your ecosphere.

the one problem is that sooner or later some company will beat your product and even the loyal will jump ship to own the best. its happened before and will happen again. sooner than later I hope with these prices for RTX

That's the thing, we need AMD or a third party (Intel) to enter the market with a disruptive product. A bit like what Ryzen has done to the CPU space.

Soldato
Not strictly true. Some times it's important for the brand to be expensive for expensive sake. Look at Apple.

It would diminish the brand if they started selling budget devices and offering price cuts.

Expensive is sometimes a sales tactic. The luxury/premium brand.

Pricing is my job. This resonates.

Associate
Prices have been below £600 on various 2080 SKUs on the continent for quite some while.

It remains a spectacularly badly priced card everywhere in the world. Terrible value when viewed in isolation. Even worse when compared to a 1080Ti or, worse, Radeon VII (which has fallen below £600 on the continent).

The 2080Ti remains a sick joke.

Soldato
Prices have been below £600 on various 2080 SKUs on the continent for quite some while.

It remains a spectacularly badly priced card everywhere in the world. Terrible value when viewed in isolation. Even worse when compared to a 1080Ti or, worse, Radeon VII (which has fallen below £600 on the continent).

The 2080Ti remains a sick joke.

Almost double the price now for perhaps a 20-30% improvement in most games (less on CPU bottlenecked games) Not great imo. Used to "only" be 50% more than a 2080 on release.

Associate
Also, is Ventus a 'bad' 2080? It's the only cheapest one at £600, on multiple competitors now. Why is it the cheapest out of the rest?

Associate
Also, is Ventus a 'bad' 2080? It's the only cheapest one at £600, on multiple competitors now. Why is it the cheapest out of the rest?

Why would you buy a 2080? It's slower than a Radeon VII. It's also slower than a 1080Ti in some games / resolutions.

RTX and DLSS are pretty much a joke at this point, too.

Soldato
Why would you buy a 2080? It's slower than a Radeon VII. It's also slower than a 1080Ti in some games / resolutions.

RTX and DLSS are pretty much a joke at this point, too.
I dunno, it was a bit of a joke to start with (early demo's especially), but is already maturing nicely. Not played Metro yet but seems put to better use there than in BFV. I'm personally enjoying RT with DLSS. BFV recently been patched to improve image clarity (with DLSS on)although not done any comparisons myself - I'm just enjoying gaming with RT on ultra and not caring about it. We're a far cry from the <60 FPS at 1080P using a 2080 Ti that people were expecting after the early demo;s

I'd want RT hardware capabilities buying any new top end card now. At this point especially if people are happy with their 10 series cards I'd probably just wait for what NV bring next and by that time RT will have matured somewhat further too. But if people are in the market for a new GPU and want to try out RT, why not? As enthusiasts I fail to advise people to buy a non RT card at this stage, especially one in the £600+ price level .
VII is a good workstation card. It's not faster at gaming the last time I looked (on balance) but probably better at 4K though(?), albeit without RT. Nearly as fast becomes faster to some people :). From Nvidia's stack, the 2080 Ti is the only GPU I'd consider at 4K.

Last edited:
Soldato

Please cite evidence where the 2080 gets beaten by the Radeon VII / 1080ti in the majority of games/resolutions.

As far as I know, it beats them both in most games by very fine margins.

Permabanned
I need to wait for the next gen, this is just one of those iterations, very expensive and not that brilliant.
If I'm going to pay £600 I would like a significant improvement.

Back
Top Bottom