Asus PG279Q Repair (or any monitor repair)

Soldato
Hi All,

My £700 PG279Q has developed a fault 2 months outside of its warranty. I am wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that can repair this.

Monitor itself works fine but its almost like the bios battery in it has gone (not that is has one). It keeps factory resetting and running the full colour burn in pattern test. It does this test whenever the display goes to sleep or the machine is idle.

Asus support said they would just RMA it but alas im just outside my warranty having bought this in Jan 2016.

Anyone got any idea on anything can be done?

This is the first non dell monitor i have owned and the last. Expect a £700 monitor to last me more than 3 years.

Associate
Hi All,

My £700 PG279Q has developed a fault 2 months outside of its warranty. I am wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that can repair this.

Monitor itself works fine but its almost like the bios battery in it has gone (not that is has one). It keeps factory resetting and running the full colour burn in pattern test. It does this test whenever the display goes to sleep or the machine is idle.

Asus support said they would just RMA it but alas im just outside my warranty having bought this in Jan 2016.

This is the first non dell monitor i have owned and the last. Expect a £700 monitor to last me more than 3 years.

I'm in the same boat. My PG278Q has developed a fault not long out of warranty and Asus won't help.

You could possibly try and find a local repair outfit and get them to strip it down and test for faults. Bit of a gamble but may pay off and shouldn't be too expensive to find out if it is repairable.

For me i'm moving on to 34" UW. Just cannot make up my mind which one yet though :)

Soldato
Never heard of monitor having any kind battery and that shouldn't anyway cause problems if monitor is still powered.

Suspect it's that expensive G-Sync module which might be the culprit.
Because didn't that replace most of normal panel control/input connection electronics.

Soldato
Hi All,

I looked at this in not much detail. If its the same issue, motherboard replacement is the required fix.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89973-PG279Q-stuck-in-debug-mode

Few threads all reporting similar/ identical issues. I would contact Asus ask about out of warranty repairs, particularly if replacing specific hardware is involved.

Associate
Hello!
I am also having an issue with my PG279Q.

I left my PC for several minutes, came back and found out that the monitor was going through sequence of black, dark grey, grey and white colors, no image, just whole screen filled in with flat color that is changing in a pattern.
At that point On-Screen Display menu was still accessible and it was displaying fine with the colors as should be. When I rebooted my PC the screen of a monitor got slightly highlighted, and that's it, the screen is just black.
Also I was not able to access OSD, it's not showing up when menu button pressed or other buttons. The light that is located in the bottom right corner is changing its colors (White - Amber - Red) when the system is going through boot process.

I've been trying to reset monitor to default settings and disable light in motion by referencing menu images from other sources, just to see if the menu is working but it seems like it is not working at all.
I tried to connect it to a different PC, tried HDMI instead of DisplayPort and gave a try to different cables of these types - no result. I performed a power discharge (disconnect from power source and hold power button for ~60 seconds) from a device as manufacturer suggested - no luck.
Monitor is out of 3 years warranty since November 2018. ASUS told me that they can not do nothing in this case, even service/repair it for a fee and that my only option is to try some other local repair shops.

After some research I guess that the cost of a repair would be nearly or even more as the new monitor itself. Has anyone have any ideas what else I can try in my case or do you think it is just a hardware failure that needs replacement and nothing can be done personally?

OT: If nothing can be done then I think the only option is to save for another monitor. What can be done to the existing one? Just recycle it or it can be sold for parts (maybe?)..?

Soldato
OP
I bought an alien ware ultra-wide with 5 years warranty. I was tempted by the new LG but im not paying £1k for a screen with only 2 years warranty.

I am going to attempt to repair mine myself. I have acquired another monitor with a smashed panel so might put my panel on this screen or try swapping the system board.

Soldato
If it's 2 months outside 3 yr warranty that... sounds rather too much like "planned obsolescence". A part set to expire out of warranty so you buy another...
Asus always strike me as being a bit too funny about warranty too? It's often a struggle to get support as the primary user, in warranty with no obvious hiccups, or so it's seemed...

Soldato
OP
I fixed mine today with a donor unit.

I swapped the module that contains the PCB (circled in red) and the gsync unit. Didn't bother taking the PCB out of the metal bracket. Just disconnected the old one and plugged in the replacement and its working as normal once again. The donor unit had a smashed screen.

The whole PCB assembly is only held to the panel by three bits of tape. Lining it back up for re-assembly a huge pain in the arse.

I have now bought the Alienware AW3418DW for my main rig at home. This will be my gaming monitor for my LAN rig when im staying in London replacing a cheapo freesync version. I have allways bought ASUS motherboards and steered clear of ASUS GPU's due to bad CS experiences. Looks like i will also be adding ASUS monitors to my avoid list.

2019-03-30%2012.03.03.jpg

2019-03-30%2012.03.10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom