• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Fire Shots At AMD’s 7nm Graphics Technology

bru

bru

Soldato
It is getting to the stage where people won't bother posting up news articles (for either sides news) because they get ribbed to bits for it.

Gregster is only the opening poster not the author of the article or the CEO of NVIDIA who the quote is from. So give it rest guys, yea Gregster has broad shoulders but other might not have and this sort of behaviour will just scare people off.

/rant.

Soldato
Nice review write up with Vega 7 running on more recent drivers etc
Yeah sure Nvidia is easy winning on the power consumption, but lets be perfectly honest here guys!! Not one of you care apart from using it has a up one over on AMD!! /Fact!" Otherwise you wouldn't upgrade to 20 series from 10 series!! Again 20 series uses a lot more power! You lost some pennies!

Heat and power are two very pointless talking points! Unless the GPU is hitting 90+ all the time like R9 290 Ref cooler etc then yeah sure That GPU was a joke with stock cooler!
VEGA does a decent job at keeping temps cool and noise at enough levels to enjoy games.

How Much Does It Cost?
You can pick up a Radeon Vii for just £639.98 from Sapphire right now. That’s not bad, giving then ASUS one is £689.99 despite being absolutely identical. What’s more, the MSRP is what, £719.99? So since launch, this is becoming not only a faster card, but a cheaper one too. In the US the card is also just $699.99. What’s more, that’s give or take £10 on various models, the same price as the RTX 2080 series. Keep in mind, the one we tested was the £800 XC Ultra from EVGA too, not an entry level model!

Overview
I was expecting to jump into the review of this today and rip it to pieces for being too hot and noisy. I love AMD cards, and have had many of them myself over the years, but it’s just one of those things you expect from them I guess. AMD, you don’t get away without some bruises here, the card is pretty damn noisy at full load and that needs to be addressed with AIB custom coolers, please. It also burns power like it’s fueled by coal, but at just a few Watts more than a VEGA 64, it delivers a frankly HUGE performance upgrade from their last-gen cards.

Performance
So, I was expecting performance to be a bit lower, I have to admit. Launch reviews didn’t always paint the Radeon VII in the best light. It was too expensive, and it just didn’t have the legs on it to topple Nvidia. Since launch, we’ve had driver updates, game updates, and a price drop. Now it’s competitive on price, no issues there. Furthermore, it’s far more competitive on performance. Over three resolutions it was right behind the 2080, matching it, or even beating it, especially at 4K. Is this a great gaming card? Absolutely, it’s up there with the best. Short of dropping £1500 on our current chart leader, the MSI 2080 Ti, it’s every bit as fast as our EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra… Incredible.

Should I Buy One?
It’s a tricky one this, I must admit. For the same money, Nvidia cards have RTX features, run cooler, quieter, and use less power. On that alone, AMD is still behind the curve. However, I know for a fact that many are loyal to AMD and for good reason. FreeSync (properly supported, no grandfathered in minimal support like Nvidia has done), Radeon Chill, etc. Also, that whopping great big 16GB HBM2 memory setup. While we focused purely on gaming, if you do computational workloads in the day and gaming at night, the Radeon VII is a mighty workstation card in gaming armour, giving it an impressive secret weapons chest to back it up. It’s not perfect, but it’s still an impressive card for the money worthy of your consideration and our Editors Choice Award.

https://www.eteknix.com/amd-radeon-vii-7nm-graphics-card-review/15/

Soldato
It is getting to the stage where people won't bother posting up news articles (for either sides news) because they get ribbed to bits for it.

Gregster is only the opening poster not the author of the article or the CEO of NVIDIA who the quote is from. So give it rest guys, yea Gregster has broad shoulders but other might not have and this sort of behaviour will just scare people off.

/rant.

Seconded :)

Associate
I mean he's talking about current 7nm and he's right but I'd imagine a customer who's spending £600 on a GPUs real questions are:

1. Will Ray Tracing be beneficial going forward?
2. Will more than 8gb of VRAM be useful going forward?
3. How long am I keeping card for because of 1 and 2.
4. How reliable the card is.

I don't think they care that much about the slight difference in power bill.

Soldato
The sad fact of the matter is if you are looking for raw frames per second, nVidia's going to be holding that crown for quite some time and if you want that kind of performance, you have to swallow whatever kind of tech nonsense they decide to bolt on along with the price.

Don

/rant.

I agree totally with you Bru, it is getting boring now reading the same rubbish from certain posters. If this continues I will be getting posting rights to this section removed. As all it does is stifle this section.

Caporegime
There is no doubt that AMD need to up thier game, they are about 2 generations behind nVidia but its a bit rich for Leather Jacket man to fire shots at AMD when his own RTX cards are little better than the previous generation at a huge price hike.

Wind your neck in Jen and sort your own crap out.

Associate
Its worrying that people are proud to be nvidia supporters even though the CEO comes and tells everyone they are holding back the best they can give. And tbh it's only the consumers fault.

Soldato
Whilst some people make light of power efficiency and the ‘pennies’ each year it saves you, I doubt the same people are silly enough not to realise that power efficiency has other knock on benefits such as less heat generated which either results in quieter cards or faster cards not throttled by high temps.

One example of this being the unfortunate Radeon vii, which was panned in reviews for heat and noise levels which is a direct result of its gross inefficiency.

Soldato
I agree totally with you Bru, it is getting boring now reading the same rubbish from certain posters. If this continues I will be getting posting rights to this section removed. As all it does is stifle this section.
Can we ban posts about pretending to be impartial?

Because that is the cause of this. Certain people are constantly swearing blind that they're impartial when they are the biggest fanboys on the forum.

There's a good reason a lot of us are only buying nVidia, or haven't bought AMD in a long time, but we aren't blind to the way certain members post things hoping they'll get a certain reaction.

Don't forget that Gregster was one of the loudest people about how power consumption doesn't matter when he had a Fermi card.

I couldn't care less about power consumption unless it is extremely excessive to the point of absurdity, and I haven't bought an AMD card in years because to me, they are not good enough for me usage scenario.

Soldato
There is no doubt that AMD need to up thier game, they are about 2 generations behind nVidia but its a bit rich for Leather Jacket man to fire shots at AMD when his own RTX cards are little better than the previous generation at a huge price hike.

Wind your neck in Jen and sort your own crap out.
I think Jenhsun's worried about something, I just don't think it's about anything AMD have coming soon.

Soldato
Exactly
All GPUs are hot and hungry

We comparing very little here.

I not recall nvidia fans crying about RTX cards vs the 10 series being much more hungry.

Why is Amd any different!

Firstly no they aren't all hot and power hungry.
Secondly Amd's negatives are not just excessive power cconsumption. All reasoning and factors which area of negative tone towards Amd get ignored. And to be honest i'm sick of this gpu section, Because of the years I've been here, I still see the same old crap being dug up and put out.

The Amd defense team will only look at two factors 1. Price of card, and 2.Performance of card. So when someone makes a valid statement of say one example = how inefficient Amd are compared to Nvidia, it will always be defended with "but it's only going to equate to a few quid over the course of the year, or i'll undervolt my vega64 and it will match a Gtx1080".

The other factors that conveniently get ignored are the Mobile and Desktop markets, the cost of the pcb and power regulation components for a gpu that consumes more power. Meaning the card is more expensive to manufacture than a competitors card.

Prime examples are Fiji and Vega, Gm204 and Gp104. Fiji and Vega were big dies and expensive to manufacture and only catered for the desktop market, (no mobile). Whilst the cheaper to manufacture smaller nvidia G*204 chips enjoyed higher profits/margins and could cater for desktop and mobile with the same die.

Now yes Ryzen Apu's with Vega will continue to creep into the entry level Dgpu market. However at the time of Maxwell and Pascal Amd were in an unnhealthy position.

If you look at Nvidia having released the Gtx 1660 and 1660ti, they are running at 120-140 watts but increasing the fps over the Gp106 by 20-40%. Amd released the Rx590 prior to these nvidia gpu's now on a Gf 12nm process the power envelope and performance uplift is an absolute disgrace, and I'm glad the Gtx1660-ti has been brought out to address this tier in the market.

Navi has been pushed back and has lost it's golden chance to get the people who are after Vega56/Gtx1070 performance. Whether there will be masses buying into the 1660-1660ti, we'll have to see. But really Navi should have been out by now.

As for Turing, i'm not impressed, the failure rate of the memory is quite high. The pricing of the tiers is a pisstake by Nvidia and the gains from pascal to turing on the basis of tech which is effectively demotech is just a joke.

I just wish more people in this forum even if they have a bias, are more willing to see the full picture and to be able to have a sensible discussion.

Man of Honour
I think Jenhsun's worried about something, I just don't think it's about anything AMD have coming soon.

Doubt they are worried product wise - that they've lost 1-2 key people to Intel with 1-2 more potentially gonna be poached if what has happened elsewhere holds true might have shaken them a bit though.

Back
Top Bottom