BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Just phoned and got another quote, spoke to a guy in the workshop who brought up my car and the last job done on it - apparently the labour had been "imported incorrectly on the quote" at £1500
New quote was £474, which seems low, I asked him if that was specifically for my car and he said yes.

I'm still suspicious but now for the completely opposite reason! I bet when I do actually take it in that I don't get quoted that either.

I think that might be correct as thinking back I think they quoted me for discs and pads all round.

Soldato
The M Sport brakes are larger than the E92 M3 brakes. They have two piece discs all round with 4 pot calipers with 370mm on the front and 345mm on the rear with 2 pot calipers so not surprised they are more expensive. Owners are going to get a surprise come brake renewal time on the new G series cars as these are now standard on many models (with a different 4 pot caliper looks to be the same as the ones used on JCW Minis, probably due to the old blue calipers having a common problem snapping bleed nipples off)

The E92 M3 has 360mm discs with single piston calipers on the front.
I did find that info, still it's a lot for 10mm extra disc.

Associate
For whatever reason BMW have seen fit to equip cars fitted with M Sport Plus package with absolutely insanely over specified brakes which are as good as those you'll find on far more exotic machinery.

All that matters now is looks and they look proper wicked innit.

Absolutely. I found it somewhat amusing to read, a few posts back, that these discs are bigger than those fitted to the E9x M3!

My previous car was a 340i Touring. Fitted with the 'standard' brakes and I didn't find it lacking at all.

nas

nas

Associate
This may have been covered before, but is the “exhaust inspection” reference to the MOT?

Showing on iDrive as due.

Thanks

Associate
So I have a convertible Z4M that I bought used from a main dealer about 7 years ago for a bargain £16k (was cheapest in UK at the time in the main dealer network).

Now I have a 1 year old baby I'm begrudgingly considering selling it as it's getting used less and less, just scanned used prices and looks like it'll fetch somewhere between £13-£17k according to Autotrader adverts.

Don't really have a point to the post, just thought I'd reminisce and let everyone know what fantastic cars these are. The later models of Z4 never came in a proper M version which I think helped to hold mine's value, that and it shared a number of components with the M3 CSL. Reviews were fairly mixed in comparison to a Boxter with the Z4M being less composed but goodness me the car is so much more fun. A real pocket rocket / hot rod (0-60 in 4.8s) that's very happy to step out in a controllable way with it's long track.

The other thing that's incredible is the practicality, numerous times I've used it to go to golf and the flared rear arches means you can take 2 sets of golf clubs in it which you'd have no chance in an F-type / Boxter.

I'm now struggling to find something I want to replace it with and although finding faster cars is relatively easy I've been struggling to find one that's able to put as much of a smile on my face....

Man of Honour
The insurance on the M140 is due next month. BMW Insurance are coming in far cheaper than any of the comparison sites I've tried, with a smaller excess and better cover. Does anyone here use them? Any feedback?

Soldato
The insurance on the M140 is due next month. BMW Insurance are coming in far cheaper than any of the comparison sites I've tried, with a smaller excess and better cover. Does anyone here use them? Any feedback?

Mine was the same can't give much feed back as I just switched in the last week. It was £100 cheaper than any quote I could get, I assume it must be tied into the underwriter getting a discount at BMW bodyshops.

Associate

They came in by far the cheapest for us as well on our 140. Hopefully they remain competitive at renewal!

Back
Top Bottom