• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Not sure if that was aimed at me but I wasn't implying I "streamlined" my PC just for gaming. Far from it.

Yes I have anti virus software installed. I don't have rgb stuff installed or keyboard/mouse control though.

I don't have browser loaded up while gaming as I use a single screen. If I'm that desperate to look something up I use my mobile next to me. If on the rare occasions I need to voice chat I'll use steam as it is normally already open because of the game.

Out of all my friends only 2 even have a PC capable of gaming and neither of them have loads of programs open either.

Streaming/encoding etc is niche. If you do either of those you're certainly not in the average casual user group like myself

Nah, I didn't reply to anyone specifically to not make it even remotely "attacky" :)
While a few light background bits aren't going to be a huge detriment... it... certainly COULD be something to keep in mind a wee bit.
Benchmarks in reviews are done on sterile machines with fresh installs etc. The average home users experience is going to be coloured slightly by all the stuff we usually have running.

Soldato
That doesn't make sense unless it doesn't work on prior chipsets.

I really would have hoped AMD would have Zen 2 out for April. They need to maintain a solid release structure.

Accoring to Jim, multiple sources said about chipset delays, AMD considered launching Zen2 without X570 but decided against it. Also a mention of Thunderbolt 3 problems. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Jim said that older motherboards will still work with Zen 2, but they will not support the highest memory speeds. No specification on whether this is desktop as well but I'm assuming so.

That is for EPYC only as far as I am aware.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I don't know why they wouldn't release the CPU's then.
AMD have done staggered launches before.

It might be something to do with agreements with motherboard makers.

They will sell more motherboards if they launch at the same time as the CPU's, especially those who are just coming over to AMD's ecosystem.

If they release the CPU's first, then people who are new to the ecosystem will have to either buy X470/B450 and face bios upgrades etc, possibly souring the experience, or wait for the new motherboards to be released.

They also risk the chance that people who already own X370/B350 etc boards but were on the fence about upgrading, could buy the new 3000 series CPU's, realise they work fine in the older boards, and thus decide not to bother upgrading their motherboards

Caporegime
It might be something to do with agreements with motherboard makers.

They will sell more motherboards if they launch at the same time as the CPU's, especially those who are just coming over to AMD's ecosystem.

If they release the CPU's first, then people who are new to the ecosystem will have to either buy X470/B450 and face bios upgrades etc, possibly souring the experience, or wait for the new motherboards to be released.

They also risk the chance that people who already own X370/B350 etc boards but were on the fence about upgrading, could buy the new 3000 series CPU's, realise they work fine in the older boards, and thus decide not to bother upgrading their motherboards

Given the rhetoric surround AMD platforms, this would only help the mind share and solidify that impression and goes a long way to removing my cynicism.

Permabanned
Why are you AMD fanboys so obsessed with beating the 9900k cant you afford one?

I can't afford an intel processor in the current scheme of things. Even though, I have the money, I prefer to spend my money wiser - for a new "green" car or a new house.
I am not a fan of AMD (actually, I would prefer a Matrox graphics card, if it were available), I am a fan of optimising my expenses, and a good quality for the money. Intel doesn't check these requirements.

We all need a technology progress, so we can enjoy improvements in the quality of our lives.
I even think there is a cartel between AMD and nvidia for not pushing 4K resolutions and beyond, which will tremendously improve our experiences ergonomics-wise.

Caporegime
I can't afford an intel processor in the current scheme of things. Even though, I have the money, I prefer to spend my money wiser - for a new "green" car or a new house.
I am not a fan of AMD (actually, I would prefer a Matrox graphics card, if it were available), I am a fan of optimising my expenses, and a good quality for the money. Intel doesn't check these requirements.

We all need a technology progress, so we can enjoy improvements in the quality of our lives.
I even think there is a cartel between AMD and nvidia for not pushing 4K resolutions and beyond, which will tremendously improve our experiences ergonomics-wise.

How can they push 4K? It needs absolute insane levels of performance.

I use my Vega 64 at 4K but I'd kill for double performance.

Back
Top Bottom