The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
MOMSDb.jpg

Breakfast today at Bill's. Had the fryup, with the fried eggs changed to poached eggs. Was nice :)

Ib8608.jpg

UZ7y4e.jpg

B3phPj.jpg

G1T2RX.jpg

YSMYaR.jpg

I got a £10 off gift card for Public House By Nico on my last visit to Six By Nico. I had been meaning to try Public House, so this seemed like a good time. They do a small plate concept. I had 3 plates. Arbroath Smokies Croquettes with brown butter miso hollandaise, Haggis Scotch Egg with whisky foam and pickled turnip and finished off with the Public House Burger with pulled Pork, Truffle Cheese and chorizo mayonnaise. The pulled pork is hiding underneath the burger, but it was very melt in the mouth and tasty. I also had a side snack, sourdough bread with walnut butter, spiced nuts and atlas Olives. All in all a pretty good meal.

Soldato
My homemade welsh cakes dusted with my homemade caster sugar. Absolutely delicious, like a cross between a cake and scone. Nice and soft on the inside. I uses sultanas instead of currants, and there's nutmeg, cinnamon and ground mixed spices consisting of cinnamon, coriander seed, nutmeg, clove, pimento and ginger.

20190402-014100.jpg

Welsh-cake.jpg

Soldato
Thanks, they certainly are were. :D Here's the recipe if you're interested.

225g Self raising flour
75g Caster sugar and a pinch of salt
100g Diced chilled butter
1/2tspn Cinnamon
1/4 tspn Nutmeg
1/4 tspn Mixed spice
Rub together with hands until you get a damp sand texture.

Add 50g currants or sultanas or some of each and combine with mixture.
Make a well in the centre.
Add about 3 tablespoons of milk to 1 egg yolk and combine to make a fairly sticky dough. If too dry add a little more milk.

Flour worktop and roll out dough to about
1 centimetre thick.
Use a 5 to 7cm diameter cookie cutter (fluted or straight) in the dough to form the individual cakes. Re-roll unused dough to cut more cakes.

Rub a thin coating of butter or oil in frying pan.
I used coconut oil.
The pan wants to be around 350 to 365F.
Cook cakes until golden brown on outside. About 2 to 4 minutes on one side, flip them and do another 2 to 4 minutes. 4 minutes was just right for mine.

Dip in caster sugar while warm.

Soldato
What's involved in that?
Are you just grinding down plain sugar or adding flavouring? or some kind of crazy home-made refining?
Yep, I'm just throwing granulated sugar into a blender and whizzing it for about 30 seconds or about 15 pulses. It turns it into caster sugar. I just have to be careful not to grind too long or it starts to look like powdered icing sugar. The granules I get as caster sugar I wouldn't say come out quite as fine as shop bought caster, but small enough for baking with where normal granulated is too coarse to dissolve properly, and it's good enough to decorate with.

Also, if you decide to try it and want to go further and make icing sugar, that takes about 5 minutes of grinding. For every 450g of granulated sugar, add 2 tablespoons of cornflour. That helps to keep the sugar dry. Although I never did the cornflour myself yet. I've also got a food processor but the instructions said don't grind coffee beans or sugar. But the blender makes more sense as the sugar is in a smaller space and stays more in contact with the blade.

Back
Top Bottom