• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
I think so too. As usual AMD just delays and delays. The motherboard excuse seems pointless - why not release the 65w and 95w models now then? It wouldn't surprise me the bigger issue might be clockspeeds,ie,what they got back from the fabs was not quite what they expected. It's usually the reason AMD delays stuff.

newer intel stuff out near christmas a delay that bad wouldnt be great.

Soldato
Last year everyone was so sure it would be 12 months from the launch of 12NM Ryzen

That's because Ryzen 1 came out in March, Ryzen 2 came out in April because the planned March release was delayed a month, so why wouldn't Ryzen 3 be out in the same timeframe?

AMD saying "mid 2019" now means June/July, but if the apparent X570 chipset issues continue past June we could conceivably see August/September because it's clear that AMD want to launch Ryzen 3 with the new motherboards. Which would be annoying because the CPU is clearly ready to go given that EPYC Rome is shipping soon.

Soldato
That's because Ryzen 1 came out in March, Ryzen 2 came out in April because the planned March release was delayed a month, so why wouldn't Ryzen 3 be out in the same timeframe?

AMD saying "mid 2019" now means June/July, but if the apparent X570 chipset issues continue past June we could conceivably see August/September because it's clear that AMD want to launch Ryzen 3 with the new motherboards. Which would be annoying because the CPU is clearly ready to go given that EPYC Rome is shipping soon.

need to keep mobo vendors happy. plus not all x470/b450 boards will be able to show a possible 16 core under LN2 or extreme water etc . Plus PCIe 4.0 to rub into intels face and then X499 would go hand in hand with it. Computex should be perfect for them

Soldato
^^ indeed.

I have no problem in releasing X570 alongside Ryzen 3 because it plays into the cohesive ecosystem of PCIe 4 and VRM support for the 16c/32t monsters. Display everything in the best light possible and also remove the chance of early adopters just dropping a new CPU in existing boards ;)

But how long can AMD hold off? Chipset issues with X570 and now apparently Thunderbolt 3 issues too? How far does that push the new boards back, and be extension the CPUs?

Soldato
If the CPUs are supposed to be that good wouldn't they just release them anyway?

Likely deal made with board vendors so board sales not negatively affected.

Also if AMD also get profits from the chipsets they would be motivated for same reason as board vendors.

Intel even stated in the past that one of the reasons they do new chipsets so often is to make profits for board vendors.

Soldato
If I do switch platforms then these are absolute requirements on the motherboard, which I have concerns over.

8 SATA ports
Onboard diagnostics code
Onboard power/reset buttons
Intel nic
3 full sized pcie slots and 3 mini pcie slots
M.2 must not be placed next to GPU, it must not disable SATA ports if used.
Fully featured not gimped bios
Capable of 3200CL14 ram in all 4 dimm slots. Board vendors struggling with this, often only 2 primary slots capable, just catering to the max 16gig ram crowd.
At least one usb type c port, but not too many as currently all my devices type a usb.
Front usb 2 (and of course type A usb 3 headers) headers still need to be present for my case.
DVI or VGA output present on outputs if I get an APU.

Associate
I currently have an intel mini itx mother board. Will there be a mini itx mother board launched when these new cpus come out or is it normally a few months later ?

Also would i need a new psu and cooler if im switching to AMD ?

Soldato
If I do switch platforms then these are absolute requirements on the motherboard, which I have concerns over.

8 SATA ports
Onboard diagnostics code
Intel nic
Capable of 3200CL14 ram in all 4 dimm slots. Board vendors struggling with this, often only 2 primary slots capable, just catering to the max 16gig ram crowd.
At least one usb type c port, but not too many as currently all my devices type a usb.
Front usb 2 (and of course type A usb 3 headers) headers still need to be present for my case.

Forget the rest, just give me 4 dimms at 3200CL14 and I'd be happy!

Soldato
I currently have an intel mini itx mother board. Will there be a mini itx mother board launched when these new cpus come out or is it normally a few months later ?

Also would i need a new psu and cooler if im switching to AMD ?

Depends on what PSU you have and what CPU you're getting. Cooler you'll either get with the CPU itself, or if you want a new cooler then you'll get a cooler that is AM4 compatible.

Soldato
We already have a mobo that does 4 dimms at CL14, it's called a CH6 and it's an X370.

I also forgot to mention it cannot be ASUS as I am not paying the ROG tax, but yeah ok.

Has anyone actually confirmed the 4 dimms performance? Since almost 100% of reviewers and users only use 2 dimms.

Soldato

8 SATA ports
Onboard diagnostics code
Intel nic

You've not stated how many PCI-E lanes you need to make use of at once, and if you'd be happy with PCI-E 2.0 or if they'd have to be 3.0. Also DVI/VGA are very uncommon on high end boards, they are all Display Port or HDMI these days. As for the 8 SATA ports with non being disabled if you use an M.2 slot that's highly unlikely but if ASRock perform some magic you might find a board with 10 ports and the M.2 disabling only 1-2 of those.

Soldato
You've not stated how many PCI-E lanes you need to make use of at once, and if you'd be happy with PCI-E 2.0 or if they'd have to be 3.0. Also DVI/VGA are very uncommon on high end boards, they are all Display Port or HDMI these days. As for the 8 SATA ports with non being disabled if you use an M.2 slot that's highly unlikely but if ASRock perform some magic you might find a board with 10 ports and the M.2 disabling only 1-2 of those.

It can be done if m.2 disable PCIE slots instead of SATA ports.

We wont see a 10 port SATA board, probably 8 slots max with 2 been ASMEDIA ports.

I know the display outputs uncommon hence me thinking its a tough ask. :(

Asmedia SATA ports are becoming rarer now tho, so we may not even see 8 SATA port boards.

Man of Honour

8 SATA ports
Onboard diagnostics code
Intel nic

Do you not think you are asking a lot out of a mainstream platform even with current trends? I have an x399 Taichi which was a £400 board when I bought it and ill go over what it's capable of compared to your checklist...

8 SATA ports - yes it has 8
Onboard diagnostics code - Yes
Onboard power/reset buttons - Yes
Intel nic - 2 Intel Nics
3 full sized pcie slots and 3 mini pcie slots - No it has 4 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x1
M.2 must not be placed next to GPU, it must not disable SATA ports if used. - 3 x m.2 and 2 are placed next to PCIe x16 lanes.
Fully featured not gimped bios - Check
Capable of 3200CL14 ram in all 4 dimm slots. Board vendors struggling with this, often only 2 primary slots capable, just catering to the max 16gig ram crowd. - Check but 4 dimms is only half populated but will run at 3466 cl16 or 3200cl14.
At least one usb type c port, but not too many as currently all my devices type a usb. - 1 Type-A + 1 Type-C
Front usb 2 (and of course type A usb 3 headers) headers still need to be present for my case. - USB 2 & 3 at front of case
DVI or VGA output present on outputs if I get an APU. - No apu's on x399

I just can't see x570 delivering x399 pci-e lane count and capabilities for the mainstream just yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just can't see x570 delivering x399 pci-e lane count and capabilities for the mainstream just yet.

I think that the high end boards from ASRock/Asus/Gigabyte will all offer boards with the PCI-E 4.0 lanes dropped down to 3.0, allowing double the number of lanes that we currently have on X470, yes they'll be £300+ but it will be a great middle ground without the need for expensive PLX chips. An effective 32 lane PCI-E 3.0 board would make the low end Xeon workstation market less appealing, unless you need 44 lanes, in which case you'd be at the TR4 range like you are using.

Soldato
Sorry @chrcoluk but that is a ludicrous wish list. Not practical and completely overkill for a mainstream platform. Not viable either and somewhat contradictory too. Where in the blue hell are you getting all of those PCIe lanes from? 8 SATA AND M.2, yet you don't want the M.2 to affect the SATA ports? What are you putting into the system that requires 6 PCIe slots? Why would you need such a ridiculous spec if you're putting an APU in it?

Sounds to me like you're projecting your frustrations over the non-existence of your perfect (and unfeasible) motherboard onto the mainstream market and seeing issues where they don't actually exist. Christ, with SLI and Crossfire dead and onboard sound being quite respectable these days, who even needs more than 1 16x slot?

Soldato
I also forgot to mention it cannot be ASUS as I am not paying the ROG tax, but yeah ok.

Has anyone actually confirmed the 4 dimms performance? Since almost 100% of reviewers and users only use 2 dimms.

Yes, have confirmed it loads and loads of times in this thread and others:
4x 8gb of Hyninx during mid Ryzen release:

2upcwnn.jpg

A few months after that post with a bios update and 2700x using B-die instead of hyninx on the same CH6 :

2nbx93b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom