• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 20 Faster Than An Nvidia RTX2080Ti?

Caporegime
And here we go, the speculation will go from it bending over the titan rtx and pumping it raw to barely competing with a 2060. Sites will run with all this info and then point to whatever one they got closest with after covering the entire spectrum of possibilities. Then claim their "sources" were right whilst burying all the articles they were wrong with.

And of course forums will be on the hype train and have people believing the outlandish claims so no matter what AMD release its a "disappointment".

*sigh*

Soldato
And here we go, the speculation will go from it bending over the titan rtx and pumping it raw to barely competing with a 2060. Sites will run with all this info and then point to whatever one they got closest with after covering the entire spectrum of possibilities. Then claim their "sources" were right whilst burying all the articles they were wrong with.

And of course forums will be on the hype train and have people believing the outlandish claims so no matter what AMD release its a "disappointment".

*sigh*

Remember this is speculation on the Navi 20 and not the 10 which is aimed at midrange. I guess when Navi 10 releases hopefully in the summer we will be able to semi guess where the big chip will come in performance wise.

I get what you are saying though. Guess everywhere and you will get something right :D:D:D:D:D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Navi 10 is stated to be 15% faster than Vega 64 so around 15% slower than gtx1080ti. Navi 20 is said to be the big chip version so should be close to 2080ti. I mean Vega 7 is a smallish chip so 2080ti level performance with improved architecture should not really be hard to do on 7nm.
Yeah, should not be, but I said that for both Vega and Fury and they managed somehow to not deliver. Keeping my expectations much lower this time. Plus all the rumours until now have suggested they won’t be very fast. Hope your are right though.

Soldato
I think Navi 20 ain't gonna be out till like 2020 in the 3rd quarter or possibly even 4th quarter?

It's not entirely impossibly for it to be faster or at least matches 2080ti that's launch in late 2018, but obviously by then Nvidia will have something faster (though sold at what price only heaven would know).

Soldato
I'm not sure any new card from AMD needs to be faster than the 2080 Ti, it just needs to make the 1080 Ti obsolete while remaining below the price of the 2080. Right now if someone wants a powerful card in that range the options are a second hand, risky purchase of a 1080 Ti, or a somewhat expensive 2080 with dubious RTX functionality. That, in my opinion, is where AMD should place their next card. Whether they'll do it in time (this year) is another question.
I could do with a AMD card faster/as fast as 2080ti, because I want to use VRR (Freesync) on my 4K TV.

Though not sure when will Nvidia support VRR over HDMI...may be they will add it to their next gen cards? They don't usually go out of their way to support an open standard, but who knows.

Soldato
Let us all not get too carried away with this, we could still be facing a year or so of wait!

It is the first gpu that should benefit from the added income of Zen though so hopefully it'll get them back in the competition.

Caporegime
OP
Jeeez, even *I'm* not sure if Greg is taking the **** or not now ;) :D
Si, you know me well enough and like you, I love some banter but wish for both AMD and NVidia to be doing well. When they compete, it gives the buyer a bigger choice and a competitive choice (unless they collaborate and Lisa Su is Jen's niece, so quite possible). I am hoping the Raytracing mentioned is true, as that is something that can look amazing when done correctly. Sure, early days with it but with more time and resources, it will be sweet.

Mobster
Soldato
Absolutely, I'm literally praying this is faster than a 2080Ti. Secretly hoping its an overclockers dream too.

I NEED AMD to step up so nVidia are pushed, that way I can keep buying the fastest nVidia cards. nVidia have had no competition for years, this is why we have 2080Ti at insane prices.

Soldato
Absolutely, I'm literally praying this is faster than a 2080Ti. Secretly hoping its an overclockers dream too.

I NEED AMD to step up so nVidia are pushed, that way I can keep buying the fastest nVidia cards. nVidia have had no competition for years, this is why we have 2080Ti at insane prices.

lol OK, or just buy an AMD card if it's the best on the market?

"I want AMD to be the best so I can keep buying Nvidia cheaply!" That's positively idiotic...

Soldato
It's going to be nowhere near as fast as a 2080ti and it won't be giving us 1080ti performance for under £500 either.

We just don't live in that GPU climate anymore :/

Caporegime
Si, you know me well enough and like you, I love some banter but wish for both AMD and NVidia to be doing well. When they compete, it gives the buyer a bigger choice and a competitive choice (unless they collaborate and Lisa Su is Jen's niece, so quite possible). I am hoping the Raytracing mentioned is true, as that is something that can look amazing when done correctly. Sure, early days with it but with more time and resources, it will be sweet.

Read you loud and clear m8, some awesome lvl 10 baiting going on here... ;)

:p

Soldato
...it won't be giving us 1080ti performance for under £500 either.
So what's the point in it then? AMD might has well just continue making RX Vega 64, or shrink Vega 10 to 7nm too. Now granted Navi probably won't be touching the 1080 Ti in performance, but that doesn't seem to be its purpose. What IS its purpose is an arch designed from the ground up specifically for 7nm production. Something lean, something gaming-centric, something cheap. Something to reset the midrange market in terms of price AND performance, not just the price-performance ratio.

We just don't live in that GPU climate anymore :/
Only because Nvidia say so and only because Nvidia are allowed to do so.

But even Nvidia are seeing the backlash of their greed. Why do you think the GTX 1600 series even exists?

Soldato
So what's the point in it then? AMD might has well just continue making RX Vega 64, or shrink Vega 10 to 7nm too. Now granted Navi probably won't be touching the 1080 Ti in performance, but that doesn't seem to be its purpose. What IS its purpose is an arch designed from the ground up specifically for 7nm production. Something lean, something gaming-centric, something cheap. Something to reset the midrange market in terms of price AND performance, not just the price-performance ratio.
Vega 10 has already been shrunk to 7nm.
Navi isn't a ground up revolutionary architecture, it's just another tweaked gcn aimed at increasing throughput and efficency in scheduling, whilst keeping manufacturing costs down and yield rate up.
It's the exact same way Amd replaced Hawaii with Polaris.

Only because Nvidia say so and only because Nvidia are allowed to do so.

But even Nvidia are seeing the backlash of their greed. Why do you think the GTX 1600 series even exists?

To provide competition against the appalling Rx590, and to sweep up sales where navi is Mia with a 2x Tu116's that hit that sweet spot of £200-300 price point.

Soldato
Vega 10 has already been shrunk to 7nm.
Navi isn't a ground up revolutionary architecture, it's just another tweaked gcn aimed at increasing throughput and efficency in scheduling, whilst keeping manufacturing costs down and yield rate up.
It's the exact same way Amd replaced Hawaii with Polaris.

Vega 20 and Vega 10 aren't the same thing. By "shrinking Vega 10" I was referring to the exact core that's used on RX Vega without all the extra compute stuff added to Vega 20.

And I know Navi isn't new, but it is (supposedly) a gaming-first iteration of GCN designed from the outset to be 7nm and also not use HBM. So yes, manufacturing costs go down, yields go up, prices come down because without all of the extraneous compute it will be a much smaller die.

To provide competition against the appalling Rx590, and to sweep up sales where navi is Mia with a 2x Tu116's that hit that sweet spot of £200-300 price point.
True, but if Nvidia weren't gouging the hell out of prices then the RTX 2060 could (more or less) hit that spot. But why would Nvidia care if Navi is MIA if RTX sales were good?

Soldato
Vega 20 and Vega 10 aren't the same thing. By "shrinking Vega 10" I was referring to the exact core that's used on RX Vega without all the extra compute stuff added to Vega 20.
Yeah you're not wrong let's save ourselves the ballache and just agree it's a tweaked shrunken Vega10 with more bandwidth.

And I know Navi isn't new, but it is (supposedly) a gaming-first iteration of GCN designed from the outset to be 7nm. So yes, manufacturing costs go down, yields go up, prices come down because without all of the extraneous compute it will be a much smaller die.

Totally agree, I don't think it's so much a gaming architecture though, it's just tweaking yet again a 4 wide geometry engine, because Amd haven't had an architect to design them a 6-8 wide front end design. However they have the clock advantage this time to hit 2ghz where before they hit 1300/1600/ on the Gf 14nm process.

true, but if Nvidia weren't gouging the hell out of prices then the RTX 2060 could (more or less) hit that spot. But why would Nvidia care if Navi is MIA if RTX sales were good?

Exactly Rtx2060 should be in that price spot as you say. If nvidia didn't gouge the rtx2080 price then Radeon VII wouldn't have been able to be marketed. But yeah your right Rtx sales did affect Nvidia, it's clear though that Amd and Nvidia wirk towards price fixing though.
I mean the 1070ti happened to come out after the v56/64, yet the 1070 didn't price drop, Navi is expected to hit the v56-v64 tier, gets cancelled then Nvidia release Tu116 in exactly the same intended market?

Back
Top Bottom