Suggestions for depreciation resistant fun/interesting car @ up to £8k

Associate
Hi all,

Sorry I know this is an ever recurring thread in various guises (not necessarily from me but just in general) - I sold my Focus ST recently as it just wasn't interesting enough imo for the MPG I was getting (23-24mpg on average). Could get something much sillier which would deliver similar fuel economy at which point the Focus didn't make sense. The replacement will be my daily driver sitting alongside the Noble for the time being - plan is longer term to replace both this and the Noble with something far more special if/when I do less miles or commute by train.

Budget wise thinking about the £8k mark, lower the better obviously and the remit is pretty wide open, only thing I want is that it doesn't depreciate too horrendously as I'll probably change again in a year or so. Got about 3-4 weeks until I need to have bought a car so plenty of time to wait/browse - I can also use my Noble as a daily for a while too to be fair. The only reason the Noble won't be a daily for extended periods is I don't want to pile 20k a year onto it.

Don't particularly want a hot hatch again so coupe's seem to be the go to. Usually just me in the car so rear seats aren't a requirement, helpful if it can lug a pair of wheels (or similar) around from time to time mind as good to have some sort of transport which can move car parts...

Looked at all sorts, the main considerations currently are;

645ci/650i - Available well below my budget, although probably have to end up with an auto which I'm not too keen on. Does let me scratch the V8 itch however. Do wish the rear seats folded down mind.

Integra Type R (DC5) - Always liked them, but no arguing they're much older than other options and rust can be an issue with them sometimes. Cheaper to run however and will almost certainly hold its value. Loved a friends DC2 but they're just too susceptible to rust and generally feel a much older car than the DC5.

350Z - Not entirely sold on the looks but a lot of car for the money, a V6 japanese muscle car really...

BMW 335i - Would want a manual m-sport and there's lots of horror stories about the twin turbo engines in these causing big bills. The budget and requirements wouldn't give many car options and this is probably the most likely to devalue from my shortlist.

Anyone have any alternative suggestions I should consider? :)

Edit: Commute is 30-35 miles on B roads mostly, I commuted in my old RX7, S2000's etc and even my Noble for 6 months, so comfort isn't as much of a factor for me as it might be for others :)

Last edited:

Soldato
add another couple of K and buy a ae86 especially if you want something fun
prices are only going to get sillier and sillier on them

either that or

MR2 Turbo

Associate
OP
add another couple of K and buy a ae86 especially if you want something fun
prices are only going to get sillier and sillier on them

either that or

MR2 Turbo

Problem with adding a few K is that literally leaves me with nothing for furniture in new house (literally moving house at the same time as doing this heh) and sadly the AE86's don't really do much for me - can appreciate them but not fussed about them personally.

MR2 Turbo's I've had 3 of in the past and they've all had issues. 1x Head gasket went on the final 2 miles of a 200 mile drive home, 1x Big ends went 8 days into ownership (despite oil levels being fine etc) and then 1x used to randomly crab across the road, nobody could work out what the issue was. So safe to say I'm not a fan :D :p My NA was absolutely fine mind so no idea if I was just super unlucky with the turbos.

Boxster S is a good shout, although a little dated on the inside I feel, but still - I hadn't realised the low mileage examples you could get for budget if I'm honest. Will do a little more digging. Although that said, didn't these have the IMS bearing issues?

Older XKR? SV8? Leggy Cayman?

SV8 is a good shout actually I'll take a look at them. Cayman I'd almost regret not stretching to the S but would have to up the budget a little to stretch to that plus the bore wash issue they had on the 3.4 iirc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbh, even though the E9x 335i does have occasional problems, now we're 13 years on from when they were released - it's nothing too expensive these days. There are absolutely tonnes of second hand parts as well as new OEM parts that are half the price of BMW's parts. The computer systems used for coding are so widespread now that pretty much every garage should have them, it's not a particularly difficult engine to work on and the rest of the car is solid as a rock. Suspension wears *so* much better than the E46 used to and most parts are totally fine well into the 120k+ mileages. Rust isn't an issue on E92's either. Electric water pumps used to fail every now and then and they were pricey back in the day (£550+ as was a BMW only part back then) but like everything, they have probably come right down in price. EDIT: Yeah, just checked. An OEM Pierberg one is now only £150.

If you can get a E9x 335i that's had a HPFP replaced (not difficult - there won't be any left now on the originals) and maybe injectors done, there's very little else that commonly goes wrong. IIRC, there are people plenty of people running 450bhp on the stock turbos, with up to 600hp possible with stock internals (+turbo upgrade/supporting mods) - so the engine is well up to the job of the stock 300bhp.

Associate
Go for a 650I, i got mine last year and love it. I needed to get my V8 itch out of the way. Great car, plenty of power for the money, they are a big heavy car so not as nibble in the corners as your Focus ST but will certainly put a smile on your face!!!! Mine is getting serviced and MOT'd on Friday, then i am putting it up for sale.
Just looking at your list of car to choose from and its very similar to my list last year apart from the Integra. Never driven an Integra but have always loved the looks of them, i wanted one years ago and never got round to it.
I i really wanted a 350/370Z as i love Jap cars but the wife said i needed at least 4 seats after i test drove one. But from talking to a lad in a petrol station a couple of months ago, he had a 370Z and was admiring my 650I. He said the 370Z is miles above the 350Z. If you like the 350Z you could look at a imported nissan 350gt skyline or as they are in America a infinity g35. Same engine in a coupe body and from i remember reading are very easily tuned with some bolt on parts.
I test drove a 335I, what a car the potential power of these engines is great. They do have a issues that scared me off i must admit. But with a few mods these can be seriously quick cars and if you go single turbo well....
I drove a 650I straight after the 335I and was sold and knew what i wanted V8 POWER. I even test drove a CLS 500 and loved that shame the owner wife said he couldnt sell for what i offered and he then sold it for even less on eBay when the auction ran out.
I don't think you'll be upset with any of the cars on your list. Cant comment on the Integra, but if you want a B basher i would go with a 350/370Z. Straight line speed with a NA engine go for a 650I. The 335I is great car the modification potential is awesome and you can turn it great drag car or even a great b road basher.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think you can buy a Lotus for 8k anymore. But if you can, buy it. Any Lotus. The prices of old Elises have pretty much doubled (maybe tippled for pristine ones) over the last 10 years :p

OcUK Staff
Clio 182 Trophy, meets fun and pretty much depreciation free criteria, in a few years the 500 made will be like probably 300-400 left, can see them losing no money, maybe make a few quid and mega cheap to run.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
DC5 is bang on the money, but to retain the value you'd need to get a good example (likely out of budget) or spend some looking after it properly (full undersealing etc). Fantastic cars though, I'd have one again in a heartbeat if I could; easy enough to work on, cheap enough to work on and relatively economic considering the fun you can have with them!

Soldato
While the DC5 is a good shout, i can't imagine them being very good at 8k nowadays? i sold mine in 2011 i think and it was starting to have rust then on a 2004 car which had been undersealed. Mine was never very reliable either but that could have just been mine, i'd not really want one again now even though it was great that almost 10 years ago.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Mine cost £7k when I got it a few years ago and was in reasonably good condition; ended up undersealing it myself on a set of ramps and had no issues with that for the duration I owned the car - and that was a daily driver for 60 miles a day, on terrible B-roads and parked on the coast for 8 hours a day. Never had any trouble, engine or otherwise, either.

Permabanned
Left field but may I add a Pulsar Gtir.

Doubt you’d lose money as prices have been steadily rising since I brought mine about 5 years ago. Slightly above your budget but worth a shout.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/122972865904

THIS CAR IS VERY VERY FAST DRIVES 100% HANDLES LIKE ON RAILS THESE CARS ARE BECOMING VERY RARE CLASSIC NOW NO TIME WASTERS WILL UP GO UP IN VALUE AS THEY ARE BECOMING VERY RARE........NOT DESPERATE TO SELL HAVE TO GO TO RIGHT HOME.....WILL COME WITH A FULL 12 MOT WHEN SOLD..

Back
Top Bottom