The Division 2 - March 2019

Soldato
So I did the last stronghold (enjoyed it and was much better than the horrid second one).

Am on WT1

Observations so far.

Feels like first 10 levels of game where equipment is higher score but no better or worse than existing equipment.

So hardly any enemies drop equipment, if there is a drop its a mod 9/10.
Main source been normal vendors (expensive) and chests. As has been stated it seems WT1 onwards clan vendor sucks.
It seems I can either equip higher score equipment or better equipment as my equipment from level 30 is higher armour and attributes than score 285 equipment.
How does the loot scoring work, am I ok to junk the crappy equipment I keep getting and will I still be able to get higher score equipment?
Can I e.g. temporary equip the high score equipment so I unlock the strongholds, but then unequip it after mission started and put my better stuff back on?

I did a control point and not even the 2 elites dropped any equipment.

Does the equipment get better or is level 30 the best?

As you progress through world tiers the gearscore brackets change and correspond with an iLevel which has a min and max roll for the range you are in. EG: WT4 is iLevel 34 and has a range of 400-450 gearscore for drops. wt5 will be iLevel 35 and a gearscore range for drops of 450-500. Any additional health of armor you get to your base stats as you progress through the world tiers is related to iLevel - not gearscore.

Gearscore deltas in terms of your gear vs content is irrelevant if you are still within the range of the world tier so your question of putting on gear to unlock the stronghold entry then putting on gear that makes sense is correct - that is possible to do.

Gearscore seems to be in place to gate players at the moment as you don't get a bonus for being overlevelled when still within the range of that tier - it is simply related to the iLevel of that gear. Also why I am personally not bothered to push further than 450 in wt4 at the moment - it will still be an iLevel lower so my max range of potential stats will be too low in wt5 regardless of gear score.

Wt5 from what i can see is the exact same however post wt5 ie: raids potentially where they will introduce a gearscore climb for worlds first events etc will incorporate a formula that checks your overall gearscore as a multiplicative of an "end game power" which is a flat value currently in the files. So this will still keep wt5 thresholds for most content, but will have the ability to flick a switch and actually relate content to your gearscore as they push more difficult content.

I put in bold the answer to your question as I sorta went off on a bit of tangent to explain it properly :D

Associate
its also worth noting that gearscore drops are based off of your highest gearscore item and not your average gearscore

but that item does not need to be equipped, it can be in your inventory or even stored in your stash

taken from a tips page on reddit :

"Maximum obtainable gear score is tied to your current items, *including* stash. Keep high score items for better loot!:GearScore for loot drops is based on your max attainable own GearScore from all items owned, including your stash. Just hold on to items with higher GearScore, you don't need to equip them to still get better drops. To elaborate, "max possible" is the highest ilvl item you have NOT average ilvl of all items. So for instance, if your highest ilvl gun is **** - throw it in your stash and the item still counts as your max ilvl piece of gear (even though you aren't using it). You can have all the low ilvl gear you want in your stash, but the ilvl mechanic only counts towards your highest ilvl gear."

Soldato
Though you weren't talking to me, my Uplay name is Junglist-E. I'd be up for playing! Level 18 but there is a mission that's level 16 i still need to do. Happy to rerun content too

I probably should get around to joining the clan

Associate
Got the Chatterbox last night and had a play with it, it's a fun weapon but wished I'd held off until Friday so I could have crafted it at a higher level. At 440 on WT4 it feels a little weak taking down some enemies, but does look good with the green whispey smoke coming off it. Still hunting for a D50 so I can complete the Liberty Pistol.

Soldato
So I did the last stronghold (enjoyed it and was much better than the horrid second one).

Am on WT1

Observations so far.

Feels like first 10 levels of game where equipment is higher score but no better or worse than existing equipment.

So hardly any enemies drop equipment, if there is a drop its a mod 9/10.
Main source been normal vendors (expensive) and chests. As has been stated it seems WT1 onwards clan vendor sucks.
It seems I can either equip higher score equipment or better equipment as my equipment from level 30 is higher armour and attributes than score 285 equipment.
How does the loot scoring work, am I ok to junk the crappy equipment I keep getting and will I still be able to get higher score equipment?
Can I e.g. temporary equip the high score equipment so I unlock the strongholds, but then unequip it after mission started and put my better stuff back on?

I did a control point and not even the 2 elites dropped any equipment.

Does the equipment get better or is level 30 the best?

Don't scrap loot with higher gearscore you will be unecessarily gating your own gear score progression. Whilst you don't need to have it equipped as posted above you need to keep it in either your inventory or even your stash as gearscore loot drops are based on your max attainable gear score across your equipped/inventory and stash. If you scrap higher gearscore items you will constantly be limiting your highest gearscore drops to what you have equipped.

To answer your other question yes you can equip the higher items to start the stronghold and then switch back when you join the mission.

There are plenty of loot containers to get drops. Do your control point rounds for the loot containers in the supply rooms (these reset every 24 hours and are a good source for gear), recap any enemy control points as the large yellow containers contain 2-3 items and do underground trips to get more gear along with shd tech containers as they also have loot crates nearby. In addition mission bosses guarantee gear drops (you can preview how many gear drops based on each mission replay and difficulty in the map screen). Field proficiency drops also guarantee one gear item and one weapon (plus a bonus item if you have the right perk) so do projects to grind xp. Do Daily missions as well as they have extra rewards.

Soldato
its also worth noting that gearscore drops are based off of your highest gearscore item and not your average gearscore

but that item does not need to be equipped, it can be in your inventory or even stored in your stash

taken from a tips page on reddit :

"Maximum obtainable gear score is tied to your current items, *including* stash. Keep high score items for better loot!:GearScore for loot drops is based on your max attainable own GearScore from all items owned, including your stash. Just hold on to items with higher GearScore, you don't need to equip them to still get better drops. To elaborate, "max possible" is the highest ilvl item you have NOT average ilvl of all items. So for instance, if your highest ilvl gun is **** - throw it in your stash and the item still counts as your max ilvl piece of gear (even though you aren't using it). You can have all the low ilvl gear you want in your stash, but the ilvl mechanic only counts towards your highest ilvl gear."

Is very vague tho.

Hold onto one?
Hold onto one in each category? so e.g. one armour, one holster, one weapon etc.
Hold onto one in each subcategory? so e.g. one AR, one SMG, one Providence defense etc.
Hold onto them all? stash isnt big enough

I even read a guide stating loot score can never drop only go up, so once you have the gear that raises loot score you can get rid and loot score will stay higher. If that guide is right then really just need enough to equip to get the gear score needed to unlock stronghold?

Soldato
As you progress through world tiers the gearscore brackets change and correspond with an iLevel which has a min and max roll for the range you are in. EG: WT4 is iLevel 34 and has a range of 400-450 gearscore for drops. wt5 will be iLevel 35 and a gearscore range for drops of 450-500. Any additional health of armor you get to your base stats as you progress through the world tiers is related to iLevel - not gearscore.

Gearscore deltas in terms of your gear vs content is irrelevant if you are still within the range of the world tier so your question of putting on gear to unlock the stronghold entry then putting on gear that makes sense is correct - that is possible to do.

Gearscore seems to be in place to gate players at the moment as you don't get a bonus for being overlevelled when still within the range of that tier - it is simply related to the iLevel of that gear. Also why I am personally not bothered to push further than 450 in wt4 at the moment - it will still be an iLevel lower so my max range of potential stats will be too low in wt5 regardless of gear score.

Wt5 from what i can see is the exact same however post wt5 ie: raids potentially where they will introduce a gearscore climb for worlds first events etc will incorporate a formula that checks your overall gearscore as a multiplicative of an "end game power" which is a flat value currently in the files. So this will still keep wt5 thresholds for most content, but will have the ability to flick a switch and actually relate content to your gearscore as they push more difficult content.

I put in bold the answer to your question as I sorta went off on a bit of tangent to explain it properly :D

Ok so basically WT1 is like equipment level 31 for stats, WT2 level 32 and so on. Gear score a seperate parameter just related to unlocking strongholds.

That makes sense as when I upgraded my crafting station it said I was upgrading to WT1. I crafted a gun with high gear score but the stats were right at lower end of RNG range, which matches what you said that gear score is independent of quality.

Soldato
Is very vague tho.

Hold onto one?
Hold onto one in each category? so e.g. one armour, one holster, one weapon etc.
Hold onto one in each subcategory? so e.g. one AR, one SMG, one Providence defense etc.
Hold onto them all? stash isnt big enough

I even read a guide stating loot score can never drop only go up, so once you have the gear that raises loot score you can get rid and loot score will stay higher. If that guide is right then really just need enough to equip to get the gear score needed to unlock stronghold?

Basically at any point in time, even if the gear is worse in terms of stats compared to your currently equipped item, Hold on to the highest gear score item you have for each equipment slot and to be safe one sidearm and two primary weapons (whatever category they may be is irrelevant just two primary weapons).

This is because gear score is determined as the average of all your equipped weapons and your equipment. The gearscore loot drop value is determined by the maximum attainable gearscore across all your gear equipped/inventory and stash. As a hypothetical example (as I don't know the exact metrics used) If you are for instance at 300 and have loot dropping in the 315-325 range and you keep that gear in stash you will then up the loot drops to for example 330-340 (again we don't know the exact metrics so these are purely illustrative). However if you scrap all that gear you will be limited to what you are currently receiving so still 315-325 and will be artifically gating your gearscore progression.

In terms of your other point you are capped at each World Tier level to the max gearscore as outlined below.

So for each world tier:

• Tier 1 Cap: 300
  • Tier 2 Cap: 350
  • Tier 3 Cap: 400
  • Tier 4 Cap: 450 (though you can technically get to 465 through recalibration)
You won't be able to get loot drops higher than whatever world tier you are in and the only way to progress to the next World tier is to complete the relevant missions and stronghold for that tier. For the most efficient progress you should do the stronghold as soon as you reach the necessary gearscore to progress to the next world tier so you can continue climbing up to cap and as previously stated you can simply equip gear to take you over the gearscore requirement and then switch back once you start the stronghold.

Associate
After spending a few hours doing bounties and control points at L3/L4, searching for the D50 for exotic pistol, I gave up.
Later on, went through my 100 items in my stash to sell/deconstruct and I already have it! lol

I'll be crafting both the chatterbox and liberty tomorrow, cant wait to play them! As far as I'm aware, even if I dont use the chatterbox regularly, it's going in my secondary slot for its 'while holstered' talent.

Associate
I'm WT4 and my weapons show they will be crafted at gear score 440.
My bench has been upgraded to its maximum too.
Tomorrow, will be good, to play with 2 new exotics that I've not used before, will be nice to use with chatterbox passive of blabbermouth to gain an increase rate of fire (+20%) for 10s. This when I already have a Vector with 1.3k RPM (allegro talent). Obviously I'll have all new gear, but deffo something to aim towards rebuilding.

Back
Top Bottom