1st watercooling : temps Going crazy

Associate
Hi Guys,

I finally completed my 1st loop.

On first boot, the pump wasn't running so it thermal throttled.
After that : blue screen of death "no accessible boot device". I ended up reinstalling windows.

After installing, I immediately installed core temp and here is the result. I think that something is going wrong but I have no idea what...

IMG_0445.thumb.jpg.aa0736297f5a44c72697f36e90d46aac.jpg

The pump is definitely working (I see the last micro bubbles traveling), the fans are running, and as far as I know the cpu block is correctly installed.

Any help will be welcome !

Thank you :)

Associate
I'd check the mounting on the CPU first. Even if the water wasn't moving, if the block was correctly mounted it shouldn't be seeing those kinds of temperatures on boot.

Associate
OP
I'd check the mounting on the CPU first. Even if the water wasn't moving, if the block was correctly mounted it shouldn't be seeing those kinds of temperatures on boot.

I think you're right and the problem is definitely cpu block related.

I fastened it more without flushing and here are the new temps.

IMG_0449.thumb.jpg.6cd7c91339efcef54f721313cf346504.jpg

these temps under load (MS Update) still seem very high to me :(

IMG_0450.thumb.jpg.93d7c9de393b353217eef5d225dffbcb.jpg

Is that expectable temps or still high ?

Last edited:
Soldato
No those temps are not expected and very high across the board for for even heavy loads let along windows update which is trivial for most the part.

I would
  • Check to ensure the pump is actually working (can you see fluid moving around the loop properly).
  • Possibly shake the system to remove a large air bubble which may be in CPU block (I have had this before) though looking at pics if there is flow either side should not be a massive issue really.
  • Did you ensure you removed any plastic coating on the CPU block which is normally on it before applying thermal paste (small thing but known to happen!)
  • Make sure any valves you have in the system is actually open.
Your inlet and outlet are configured opposite to how the EK manual suggests. EK suggest Right side is in, left side is out (in respect to the velocity tab logo) and yours looks opposite. I imagine the jetplate as a result is not optimal in your config, but not the the degree of temp issues your seeing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No those temps are not expected and very high across the board for for even heavy loads let along windows update which is trivial for most the part.

I would
  • Check to ensure the pump is actually working (can you see fluid moving around the loop properly).
  • Possibly shake the system to remove a large air bubble which may be in CPU block (I have had this before)
  • Did you ensure you removed any plastic coating on the CPU block which is normally on it before applying thermal paste (small thing but known to happen!)
  • Make sure any valves you have in the system is actually open.

There's actually a valve but it's closed. Should it ?
Also I'm quite sure that I didn't forget to remove the plastic protection and I don't see any bubbles.

However, the pump is working just fine I'm really starting to think about wrong cpu block application.

i'm going to flush, dismount and see how it does :)

thank you !

Soldato
There's actually a valve but it's closed. Should it ?
Also I'm quite sure that I didn't forget to remove the plastic protection and I don't see any bubbles.

However, the pump is working just fine I'm really starting to think about wrong cpu block application.

i'm going to flush, dismount and see how it does :)

thank you !

By valves I mean ensure any along the flow path are open. Any that T-off to say a drain port / solution will need to be closed still.

Don
If there is clearly some flow (and it doesn’t need to very much at all) then it’s almost certainly the contact between the CPU and waterblock that’s the issue.

As mentioned above have you removed any plastic protectors from the base of the block?

I’m guessing it’s hard piped rather than tubed? Can be a good idea to check you have a good contact area by taking the block off and seeing if your TIM has evidence of full contact.

The CPU block will have specific inlet and outlet ports but even if tubed up back to front won’t be that bad, but it’s worth checking just in case.

Man of Honour
Have you got the cpu backplate the right way around? The reason I ask is that you should be seeing the end threads for the socket clamp mechanism through those three holes. If it's the wrong way around the backplate could be resting on those 3 screw threads and you are not getting the best contact for the block and could potentially be bending the socket.

Associate
Ok Guys. I'm going to delete my account.

FML
biggrin.png

IMG_0451.thumb.jpg.fb3161813c6aacd9849cd921d1ce1949.jpg

Have you got the cpu backplate the right way around? The reason I ask is that you should be seeing the end threads for the socket clamp mechanism through those three holes. If it's the wrong way around the backplate could be resting on those 3 screw threads and you are not getting the best contact for the block and could potentially be bending the socket.

Op found the problem.

Don
Might actually be worth checking that out, as you could end up with the backplate putting pressure on components on the back of the MB if it’s the wrong way round, though that particular backplate looks symmetrical other than the three holes.

I’m guessing the OP has actually removed the original mounting bracket?

Associate
The original mounting bracket is there but as pastymuncher said the silver part is the wrong way round. Looking at it it appears to be both upside down and back to front.

Back
Top Bottom