Anyone jumped to the Middle East?

Soldato
Thinking about going out there soon as the industry (I am a computing teacher) seems to be booming, particularly in the ICT / STEM / Computing areas.

Has anyone taken the plunge? Pros and cons?

Soldato
I have a colleague who spent the large part of his life in the Middle East, mainly in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Dubai. He hated Saudi and felt like a second-class citizen. I can't remember what he said about Qatar and Dubai but the overall tone was negative... It might be different for teachers though, he was a consultant at EY and is now with a different consultancy in London.

He prefers London.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok so a bump in this little story!

I have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi. Offer seems decent, just finalising the particulars.

Any of you expats been here for a sustained period of time?

Would love some advice on renting, living costs etc.

The school that I will be joining is in MBZ City. Any recommendations for areas to live or avoid?

Thanks in advance

alx

alx

Soldato
I recently moved to Dubai in September, I have work colleagues who live and work in Abu Dhabi.

I enjoy Dubai but everywhere has its pros and cons, some people I know have been here for years/decades, others only stay temporarily.

Be aware that whilst it's tax free the cost of living is high, although Abu Dhabi is slightly cheaper than Dubai.

If you're someone who loves greenery and rolling hills the climate and scenery here takes a bit of getting used to.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the feedback. Would be interested to know how the Abu Dhabi people are finding it. I'm not to fussed about the scenery etc, just want to know about what it's genuinely like out there.

Currently negotiating the contract to get medical, visa and flights for daughter as well as the wife including school fees.

What's the rental situation out there? Looks like some want a whole years up front?

Soldato
I personally couldn’t even begin to consider anything even close to moving anywhere near the Middle East.

The only reason to do it would be for the money in my eyes.

Soldato
Any reason?

Too much sand. I would miss my family, too hot, culture isnt familiar, no mountains, countryside, very different perspective on justice, equallity, human rights etc etc.

Im sure its a wonderful place full of wonderful culture, people and places but its just too far removed from what i know - probably a short coming of mine.

However i do know a lot of people that moved out there for work and literally couldnt wait to get the heck back here - allbeit very much richer lol.

Soldato
Ignore people like the above who negatively comment on a place they've never been to (or even positively for that matter).

My dad lived in Abu Dhabi for 7 years, returned about 3 years ago. I've visited there and Dubai 6 times so I know a fair amount both from personal experience and his, though I'm on my phone at the moment so I'll have to get back to you when it's easier to type!

Personally I would jump at any chance to live and work anywhere abroad. I did as a child in Malaysia, I have friends that live in Singapore and Shanghai, and it's an amazing experience. Like any job you can leave if you don't like it and it'll never look bad on your CV.

Caporegime
Put it this way OP, if you look back in ten, fifteen or even 30 years time, will you be happy if you didn't do it? Most people won't even go there for a holiday. You're going there to get paid and work and as said, if you don't like it it'll be something that'll stand out on your CV in later years and you can always come back. DEW IT.

alx

alx

Soldato
Cheers for the feedback. Would be interested to know how the Abu Dhabi people are finding it. I'm not to fussed about the scenery etc, just want to know about what it's genuinely like out there.

Currently negotiating the contract to get medical, visa and flights for daughter as well as the wife including school fees.

What's the rental situation out there? Looks like some want a whole years up front?

I live in Dubai, but in all accounts it is fairly westernised although you have to remember is Emirati population in the UAE is small at 15-20%. A large proportion of the population are from the sub continent and far east, which obviously has cultural impacts - bit of a mixing pot of cultures. The UAE is also relatively liberal for the middle east, so as long as you're sensible shouldn't have any issues. Is there anything in particular you're worried about or couldn't do without?

Renting visa it used to be the case it was always a year's rent up front, but that has started to change with landlords accepting 4 or 6 cheques over a year. My company pays my rent upfront then I pay it back out of my salary over the year - might be worth asking if your new employer does this as 1 cheque gives more bargaining power.

Caporegime
My brother has been living there for a number of years now (Dubai) and is enjoying it.

He makes loads of coin, gets to go dune biking constantly, and rents in the Marina where it is less of a culture shock due to high levels of tourism. Not a forever thing for him, but certainly cracking move financially, he tripled his salary for the same work (Cyber Security).

Caporegime
Any reason?

Well the main one perhaps is that beneath the surface it is still a backwards, regressive society/culture and there are ways that this can affect you negatively, in some cases very negatively.

I guess other reasons include not liking the heat, that almost everything is rather fake over there, plenty of people don't stay long/friendships can be rather temporary and actual emigration isn't really possible - even if you do end up working there for decades and make it your home you're still just an expat staying temporarily.

I've got a former colleague over there who loves it. It seems like it can offer some additional cash/nicer lifestyle in some cases - being a teacher the additional money aspect probably is applicable in your case. I think in other cases people are attracted to it as they can't get the equivalent job/responsibility in the UK/Europe and in some cases I think people get duped a bit, like they're offered a job that actually pays a bit less (gross) than they currently earn though perhaps represents a modest pay rise when the recruiter sells them on the tax free aspect and relocation package. I'd only be tempted if a really fat pay rise was on offer.

I'd definitely dispute the view of the poster above who is advocating you ignore negative comments, never a good idea to do that. You've got to keep in mind that plenty (if not the majority of tourists) to the country break the law when visiting, the main ones can be through drinking (illegal for tourists) and taking photos in public with other people in the shot others less common include being gay and having gay sex, taking drugs, using prostitutes etc...etc.. 99% of these people will do all that and get away with it with no consequences and the authorities don't care however if they upset the wrong person/authorities get called then they can end up in a whole world of ****.

For someone employed there there can be more trivial things like getting involved in a car accident with a local Emirati even if it wasn't your fault, you might well need to suck it up and take the blame. Bouncing a cheque is another big one - debt in general can get you into trouble as unlike the UK it isn't just a civil matter... also the way banks work is rather different, your account can be frozen if you lose your job etc.. that in turn can cause you to get in trouble. These are the reasons behind the images you sometimes see of cars (usually super cars but applicable to cars in general) abandoned in the desert, in a carpark at the airport... they're not the product of rich Emiratis with more money than sense but rather they're dumped by expats who have needed to get out of the country very quickly.

Soldato
/\/\ what he said. I know people that lived there and hated in and people who love it and never/can't come back because they wouldn't be able to handle the smaller take home pay and lack of all day brunches.

Soldato
OP
So Abu Dhabi did not like my counter offer and reneged on what they said in interview so I rejected on principle.

Now looking at Qatar, pay is at least 25% more so will be going down this route.

Any experiences of Qatar?

Soldato
Not personally no, but from what I've heard it's very similar with regards to work and everything formal etc, just lacks on the things to do and expat/tourism scene compared to UAE.

Soldato
Lived in Abu Dhabi when I was a nipper, don't remember much though. Based on what my parents said about then, and expats I know now that live there, the deal is pretty simple. You get paid a lot of money, you live in a compound, you're a second-class citizen, you spend your free time in hotels. The 'if you get in a traffic accident with a local, it's always your fault' is correct. That's what you live with. Lots of people are happy with that deal, go for a couple years, bank a load of money, leave.

Frankly, for the money, I would just go to Hong Kong. You get excellent money, negligible tax take, but it's a vastly, vastly easier and more interesting place to live.

Back
Top Bottom