*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Great timing thanks as I need to do this next week.

No worries - worked a treat, until this morning :| For some reason logged in and controller wasn't responding, rebooted and just get 'starting' I think it's because my DB got too big.

I've tried pruning and repairing, still won't get beyond opening.

I wish I'd made a back up ... live and learn!

Soldato
The DB can get rather large before it causes problems, from memory mine is about 10Gb. There's instructions here on how to compact the DB which might be worth a try.

What OS is your controller running on? Does the controller log (/usr/lib/unifi/logs/controller.log on my Ubuntu VM) file show anything of interest?

If you have auto backup enabled then you can manually grab the backup file from the OS. In my case they're in /var/lib/unifi/backup/autobackup

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
@the-evaluator thanks bud. It's running on a ubuntu VM. I did see the other day it was down to about 150MB as I was getting an alert in the controller so I tried compacting it. I'll check and see if I do, I think I might have set that actually.

Cheers.

edit - great, there are backups, one showing as the 1st of April.

Soldato
I think my default the controller does a backup once per month. I've upped that to every 24 hours.

Good luck getting it sorted. It's probably going to be easier to spin up a new VM and install Unifi on there than it is to get the current one up and running.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yea I think so too. Thankfully the 1st (the latest one) is pretty much identical except the change you helped with above so I think a new VM the way to go. Thanks buddy.

edit - fired up a new VM, restored the backup from the 1st, only thing missing were the two firewall rules which I'll sort later. Thanks mate, didn't even think about a backup, I was close to starting from scratch :S

Last edited:
Soldato
Built a unifi video server from an old HP MicroServer, Ubuntu, 2tb drive, grabbed a g3 flex and it’s pretty decent.

First time used the video side of unifi.

Anyone have full unifi cctv setup? Worth it over a hikvision?

Soldato
Where will you be mounting the access point? I rarely see any great improvement in range unless they are ceiling mounted.

The LR should give better performance with handhelds but if you mount it behind a TV or on a window ledge then you’re unlikely to see any benefit.

BT Home Hub is an excellent AC access point and you can pick them up for £20.

Soldato
Built a unifi video server from an old HP MicroServer, Ubuntu, 2tb drive, grabbed a g3 flex and it’s pretty decent.

First time used the video side of unifi.

Anyone have full unifi cctv setup? Worth it over a hikvision?

No, I ran a system for a customer demo and the IR/Night Vision performance is shocking, you’re locked into the Unifi video ecosystem, the IP rating is poor for an outdoor camera and the cameras are very expensive for what you get.

Have a look at Dahua 2MP Starlight cameras. They do a couple of very reasonably priced IP68 starlight cameras that have colour night vision and are very robust indeed. Hikvision may have a P2P Security vulnerability but as it was Dahua that told me that it could also be sales trash-talk.

Man of Honour
I've got multiple VLANs at home. If I do a file transfer between any VLAN, the transfer rate seems limited to around 13 or so MB/s (on my USG Pro 4). I am going to guess that due to IPS being turned on it is inspecting the data. Is there a way to disable that on the LANs at all?

Soldato
I've got multiple VLANs at home. If I do a file transfer between any VLAN, the transfer rate seems limited to around 13 or so MB/s (on my USG Pro 4). I am going to guess that due to IPS being turned on it is inspecting the data. Is there a way to disable that on the LANs at all?

As far as I'm aware, IPS/IDS is only applied to traffic in and out of the WAN port(s).

Man of Honour
As far as I'm aware, IPS/IDS is only applied to traffic in and out of the WAN port(s).
That's what I thought, but it's clearly limited and the CPU on the USG goes to 100% during the file transfer process. I noticed it with my USG 3 before albeit much slower.

Soldato
So guys just need some help with a Ubiquiti setup for a small 4 bedroom house..currently running a VM SH3 (with terrible wireless).

Firstly I just want to make sure I have got my sums right on what I need, as it seems like a huge outlay for the hardware.

1. Ubiquiti UniFi USG Enterprise Security Gateway Broadband Router = £109.86
2. Ubiquiti UC-CK UniFi Cloud Key Hybrid Controller = £73.18
3. Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO UniFi AC1750 WiFi PoE Access Point, Indoor/Outdoor, Simultaneous Dual-Band (1750Mbps AC) = £127.33
4. Ubiquiti US-8-150W UniFi 8-Port 150W PoE+ Gigabit Switch, Layer 2 Managed w/ 2x SFP Ports (150W) = £191.86

Total cost: £502.23 :eek:

So I am just about to hit the order button..1 year later lol....just wanted to make sure I have got everything:

1. Ubiquiti UniFi USG Enterprise Security Gateway Broadband Router = £103.30
2. Ubiquiti UC-CK UniFi Cloud Key Hybrid Controller = £69.93
3. Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO UniFi AC1750 WiFi PoE Access Point, Indoor/Outdoor, Simultaneous Dual-Band (1750Mbps AC) = £135.88
4. Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE UniFi GEN2 AC1200 Simultaneous Dual-Band WiFi PoE Access Point (1200Mbps AC) = £83.10
5. 8 Port Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 60W, US-8-60W, Desktop Managed PoE Switch, 8x GbE RJ45, 4x PoE Ports, 15.4W per Port = £109.49

Total: £501.70

Going to need some Cat6 cable to run around the house too.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Soldato
So I am just about to hit the order button..1 year later lol....just wanted to make sure I have got everything:

3. Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO UniFi AC1750 WiFi PoE Access Point, Indoor/Outdoor, Simultaneous Dual-Band (1750Mbps AC) = £135.88
4. Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE UniFi GEN2 AC1200 Simultaneous Dual-Band WiFi PoE Access Point (1200Mbps AC) = £83.10
5. 8 Port Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 60W, US-8-60W, Desktop Managed PoE Switch, 8x GbE RJ45, 4x PoE Ports, 15.4W per Port = £109.49

Total: £501.70

Going to need some Cat6 cable to run around the house too.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

£501 :eek:, I don't know anything about this stuff but that seems a lot of money to cover a small 4 bedroom house.

Soldato
Get a NanoHD instead of the AC-PRO.

Good call...!

3. Ubiquiti UniFi Nano HD - 4x4 MU-MIMO 802.11ac Wave 2 Access Point = £143.76
4. Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE UniFi GEN2 AC1200 Simultaneous Dual-Band WiFi PoE Access Point (1200Mbps AC) = £76.34

Total: £502.82

It isn't a small 4 bedroom house...it is a 6 bedroom mansion!

Toying with getting another nanoHD instead of an AC LITE.

Soldato
I would suggest that you don't buy a new USG or Gen 1 Cloud Key, although ChrisD's used one would be a good alternative if you want a complete Unifi system. You can pick up a used Cloud Key for about £35 at the moment.

The Gen 1 Cloud Key and the entire USG range are being end-of-life'd soon and the updates have already stopped coming through as often as they used to.

As has been suggested, get the AP-HD-Nano instead of the AP-AC-Pro or just get a second AP-AC-Lite as the Pro almost never gets to exploit it's superior speed in a domestic enironment.

Soldato
I would suggest that you don't buy a new USG or Gen 1 Cloud Key, although ChrisD's used one would be a good alternative if you want a complete Unifi system. You can pick up a used Cloud Key for about £35 at the moment.

The Gen 1 Cloud Key and the entire USG range are being end-of-life'd soon and the updates have already stopped coming through as often as they used to.

As has been suggested, get the AP-HD-Nano instead of the AP-AC-Pro or just get a second AP-AC-Lite as the Pro almost never gets to exploit it's superior speed in a domestic enironment.

Thank you that is very useful to know. So if I delete the router and the controller...I presume I am correct in saying I can use my VM superhub to do the routing to the APs and I don't need the cloud key to set up the network (although it allows more fine tuning)...is that right?

Associate
Thank you that is very useful to know. So if I delete the router and the controller...I presume I am correct in saying I can use my VM superhub to do the routing to the APs and I don't need the cloud key to set up the network (although it allows more fine tuning)...is that right?

If you've got a 350Mbps Virgin connection then the USG is a poor choice anyway as you wouldn't be able to use any of the features like Smart Queue / IPS etc. without suffering severe performance penalties. It will work fine with the superhub.

Soldato

The controller software is the same controller software. You just run it on a different platform. If you have budget, then a Gen 2 Cloud Key will support the new UbiOS platform version of Unifi but it’s MUCH more expensive. You can run the controller on almost anything but Raspberry Pi is a very popular choice.

Back
Top Bottom