Z390 Aorus Owners thread

Soldato
Aorus Master Z390 and 9900k arrived today ready for the build over the weekend. Should be a nice upgrade from my 6700k. Looking forward to OC'ing it.

I feel like a peasant with the 9700K instead, but I am making the same jump and to the same board! :p

I could not really see the 9900K for a decent price, and I think I would simply not really notice the lack of hyperthreading. I would like the box though haha.

Mine also arrives tomorrow for the old weekend build :)

Soldato
I feel like a peasant with the 9700K instead, but I am making the same jump and to the same board! :p

I could not really see the 9900K for a decent price, and I think I would simply not really notice the lack of hyperthreading. I would like the box though haha.

Mine also arrives tomorrow for the old weekend build :)

It was £70 more for double the threads. I bought the OEM so the box was plain, white and small.

Associate
Hi,

Hoping someone can help before I have to pack things up and send them back, I have setup a new PC with:

i7 9700k
Gigabyte Aorus Pro z390

I am following a gigabyte guide on their bios to make some basic changes on the CPU clock and power settings, but the settings are locked out, I have read to update the bios, which I have now completed perfectly fine to version F9, but still no joy. I assumed it may be a setting on AUTO somewhere that needs changing to allow these changes but the locked out items persist.

Is there a simple option I am missing?

My other thought is that I was sent a non K version of my CPU? I have checked my online order which clearly states it is a K, next step is to get the boxes back from my storage lockup later today and check these, maybe it needs sending back.

Any help and suggestions are much appreciated

Buzz

Soldato
My box and CPU clearly state they are 9700K's.

If you paid for a 9700K and got a 9700, then get a replacement because the non-K is locked. Shame it wasn't the other way around as the K is more expensive :)

Soldato
I have the Master version so I will be playing around with overclocking it later, I assume it will have a similar BIOS.

Sorry I can't help more at the moment but all I did was turn on XMP and disable the CPU C states to get rid of the coil whine coming off the CPU socket.

Soldato
I've got an old thing happening chaps. I have G-skill 3600C16 b-die ram. XMP is 16-16-16-36. Now I can change a sub timing and it's fine but if I try and change to say 15-16-16-36 the frequency will drop to 3200Mhz. What is that about? I should be able to tighten those main timings without the board changing the frequency like that surely? Its my first time with a Gigabyte board and bios but I can't see a setting that would make it do that. Any ideas? Oh I've updated to the F8 bios on the Master.

Associate
Hi,

Hoping someone can help before I have to pack things up and send them back, I have setup a new PC with:

i7 9700k
Gigabyte Aorus Pro z390

I am following a gigabyte guide on their bios to make some basic changes on the CPU clock and power settings, but the settings are locked out, I have read to update the bios, which I have now completed perfectly fine to version F9, but still no joy. I assumed it may be a setting on AUTO somewhere that needs changing to allow these changes but the locked out items persist.

Is there a simple option I am missing?

My other thought is that I was sent a non K version of my CPU? I have checked my online order which clearly states it is a K, next step is to get the boxes back from my storage lockup later today and check these, maybe it needs sending back.

Any help and suggestions are much appreciated

Buzz

If you got a non-k version i don't think you'd be able to change the multiplier at all. I have the same setup as you and I'm running 5Ghz at 1.3v with very minimal tweaks - let me know if you need any help

Associate
If you got a non-k version i don't think you'd be able to change the multiplier at all. I have the same setup as you and I'm running 5Ghz at 1.3v with very minimal tweaks - let me know if you need any help
Hey, thought I had responded already, it must not have sent, but basically I reset the cmos as numerous people had suggested, and the settings were fine after that, I have changed the power settings now to how I wanted it, but not overclocking currently, read about the 1.3v being nice and stable at 5ghz, will probably dabble with that come summer :)

Thanks for the response :)

Soldato
Guys I've got a very odd thing happening. Was tinkering last night with memory frequencies, didn't go mad with anything. I have G-Skill 2x 8gb 3600C16 B-die. Was trying to get 40000Mhz and it started going into endless loops at startup, like it couldn't sort timings. Sometimes eventually taking me to bios but back to factory defaults. Now it just endlessly loops on any setting other than default for memory. If I try and use XMP it just loops and halts on error codes like 7F and others that aren't even given a code in the manual, just listed as "reserved for AMI use". Doesn't matter which bios I use I have the same problem. Both bios are F8. I can try and load a 5Ghz profile with XMP enabled I had saved that was super stable or do it manually again and it just keeps cycling like its trying to train the memory but can't. Will happily boot at 5.1Ghz as long as memory is not touched.
What I've tried.
XMP -fail
3200 manual 1.35v all other memory settings auto -fail
3000 manual 1.35v all other memory settings auto -fail
I have CPU XCCIO 1.2v and CPU System Agent 1.2v
Any ideas? I've run memtest64 at stock memory frequencies and it all seems fine. I'm kinda out of ideas.
Oh cpu is 9900k

Edit: Ok so I tried moving the sticks from A1-B1 to A2-B2 and it booted straight up with XMP enabled. Does this mean something is wrong with the A1-B1 slots?? So now I'm more worried about the motherboard than the ram.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That are the slots they are supposed to be in although the manual doesn't say this. It is in small print at the end of the downloadable QVL list and I only found this out when @Parkinson1NX very helpfully posted the info up earlier in the thread. Why Gigabyte couldn't put that in the manual is beyond me. That's yet another area they need to improve on.

Instead of going faster and presumeably slackening the timings are you able to tighten the timings at 3600mhz? I found C16 at 3600mhz to be the sweet spot and anything faster with slacker timings doesn't do so well in most benchmarks that I have run. If you could do C15 at 3600mhz that would be bang on where you want to be. C14 would be even better but I doubt your kit could manage that without a significant voltage bump and maybe not even then.

Back
Top Bottom