Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
Has anyone got any recommendation for an small/mini dome cam I can mount under the front door porch overhang?
I'm liking the look of the DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Soldato
Evening all,

I've recently hard wired my home with extra cables into the corners of the eaves in the loft. My plan was to pop them through and fit some CCTV cameras.
These cables all run back to a central location where my modem, router, network switch and patch panels are so I think a NVR would be be best to plug straight in at this location?
Any recommendations for a system that has the following:
- Powers cameras by PoE
- Only two cameras required
- Motion activated if wanted (I noticed swann also does heat activation to try reduce false recordings)
- Mobile app
- Good night vision
- Clear picture
- Preferably around the £300 area if possible.

Soldato
Bought a couple of cheap Hikvision 2.8mm B120H cameras to replace an old DS-2CD2012-I. Was not expecting such a drastic improvement in image quality given that the B120H is from the budget HiWatch range. Very very impressed with the low light ability too. The street lighting alone is enough to provide enough light that I don't even need to use IR.

Highly recommended for £40 each.

front_fhd-20190315-210759.jpg

Soldato
Bought a couple of cheap Hikvision 2.8mm B120H cameras to replace an old DS-2CD2012-I. Was not expecting such a drastic improvement in image quality given that the B120H is from the budget HiWatch range. Very very impressed with the low light ability too. The street lighting alone is enough to provide enough light that I don't even need to use IR.

Highly recommended for £40 each.

front_fhd-20190315-210759.jpg

would the IR work? Since it's looking though a window? Is expect to see reflections

Soldato
That was my thinking too, but with the 2012 this was the result at night...

front-20190303-011439.jpg

I think I just got lucky with the angle of the camera and the positioning of the IR LEDs. I did notice some glare after fitting the B120 which is when I turned off IR and actually found the night image was better without it.

Soldato
I bought my original Hik cameras from CTS direct and the new B120s from cctv-kits.co.uk

I record to a Synology NAS but Hikvision iVMS is pretty good, or there are free products like BlueIris or Milestone XProtect.

Soldato
I bought my original Hik cameras from CTS direct and the new B120s from cctv-kits.co.uk

I record to a Synology NAS but Hikvision iVMS is pretty good, or there are free products like BlueIris or Milestone XProtect.

Thanks, I shall have a look. I've considered getting a NAS also but I think I'm opting for a PoE NVR for ease.

Soldato
Yeah if you're starting from scratch, there's nothing wrong with an NVR. I already had the NAS but am limited to 2 cameras. Rather than pay for extra licenses, I'll just run iVMS etc in a VM on my server (running 24/7 anyway) and use the NAS as dumb storage for the cameras.

Soldato
guys, I am needing new CCTV for home, I have a good CCTV guy who does my work but coming to my house to get what i want i need cameras and sensors and all that which isn't exactly cheap becuase he does it properly, no cables etc.

However I am 10000% certain ring cameras (floodlight) will do what I want. which is basically motion detection and the ability to view if somebody is on my drive / garden etc.

Has anybody used Ring for this, i can see i think i will need a extender or two but otherwise they seem ok? total cost is around £1300 inc VAT for cameras. which is the doorbell, 5 floodlights and two spotlight cams.

Soldato
Are you saying you're going to spend 1300 on ring cameras? I really wouldn't. You could have an all singing all dancing professional system for that and probably some change too.

I used to have 5 ring cameras, now I just have the doorbell. I've gone for Hikvision instead.

Are you planning to hardwire the ring cameras so that you don't need to mess with batteries? That's a big limitation if not. (EDIT - obviously you are if you're going for the floodlights)

What exactly are you goals and requirements?

The ring cameras are really for convience rather than security but it sounds like you know that and that's all you're after?

Are you also ok with the ring subscription costs?

Problem with motion detection is that it's always a compromise between not getting things like a cat or a bush moving in the wind but getting any sign of hand activity. The reality is you'll always miss some of one and pick up some of the other. The balance will never be perfect.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have power I can link into without much problems but no network cat cable

We have a wired hk system at the moment that was here when we moved in. It’s ok if you look at it but I’m really after alerts even if they are vague

We live in a fair neighbourhood where we seem to be the targets, big houses, nice cars etc. A few houses have been broken into recently and I just want to feel as happy as possible about motion sensing

My alarm man who did my business premises has quoted, he would do a fantastic install I know but his motion detection is via wall sensors and it it’s getting expensive to cover what I think 7 ring cameras can ( 5 floodlights and 2 spots plus doorbell) I would need not only a lot of cameras but also a lot of wall sensors.

What I am trying to achieve is knowing if somebody is in my gardens / drive where / when they shouldn’t be I.e snooping around my cars in the middle of the night or at my back door.

The ring cameras caught my attention because of the app and how customisable it is

Soldato
If it was me and like you I have a Hikvision system then I would go for normal motion PIR floodlights and an alarm system that adds motion sensors with audible warning like the texecom range.

I get that you're looking for motion alerts on your phone but my experience with ring has not been good. I'd hate to see you drop that money on ring and have the experience I have. Admittedly some of those issues would be negated by hard wiring but I found them not to be fit for purpose.

I started with five ring cameras and only two are still on working condition after 18 months.

The doorbell has been fine but I couldn't recommend their security cameras anymore. Presumably others have had better experiences or they would be out of business.

Soldato
What’s the go to ip poe camera for good night vision at a decent price? Aiming to use blueiris.

I’ve read dahua starlights are good but struggling to find a uk seller, what’s the hikvision equivalent?

Thanks.

Soldato
What’s the go to ip poe camera for good night vision at a decent price? Aiming to use blueiris.

I’ve read dahua starlights are good but struggling to find a uk seller, what’s the hikvision equivalent?

Thanks.

Just to update thread.

Did some reading and have gone for a IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP Starlight.

Will be building a blue iris server. Aim will be to slowly migrate over from my 8 analogue bnc cameras to these ip ones.

Soldato
What is the model number of that dome? I hate domes but if I remember, Dahua are so far not introducing TrueColour to their turret range unlike Hikvision who are which has upset a lot of Dahua uses.

Associate
Can anyone tell me if the swann systems are any good please?
I've been thinking about getting a small CCTV system for some added security on the house and been looking at this one which I've seen for around £250:
https://www.swann.com/uk/swnvk-490sd2#!

I'd really appreciate any advice given as I have zero experience with cctv and security systems, so hoping somebody might be able to tell me if these systems are good?
Or is there anything better value for the money?

Many thanks in advance.
-P

[Edit] also, if anyone has recommendations for motion sensor lighting it would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom