*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Did anyone pick up FF7 on switch? Bit tempted. I have played the first few hours so many times and never really got further than that for no real reason

Not yet - but I have it on PS3, PS4, PC (from SE site), PC (from STEAM), and iOS. You could say I'm a fan ;)

There's a few particularly nerdy aspects that mean the Switch version isn't exactly the best, but that being said I can still whole heartedly recommend playing it through. Absolutely stunning game, fair to say it's my favourite game of all time.

Soldato
guys off on holiday next week, and will take the switch. i am looking for a 2nd dock so i don't have to dig up the original one which i have almost hard wired in (cables in trucks behind tv)

as place we are staying has big tv and hdmi

any recommendations (amazon prime, or high street if possible)

Soldato
guys off on holiday next week, and will take the switch. i am looking for a 2nd dock so i don't have to dig up the original one which i have almost hard wired in (cables in trucks behind tv)

Would you consider a third party adapter rather than a dock?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Nintendo-Converter-Macbook-Samsung/dp/B078RZQJ8D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-S..._5?ie=UTF8&qid=1534238869&sr=8-5&tag=nlife-21

Will need another power brick obv., there has been reports of third party ones bricking the console so buyer beware.

Lots of conflicting stories though, some people say it's fine as long as you use the official PSU as Nintendo didn't build the USB C port to industry spec and the adapters are causing it to draw too much power but I have no clue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did anyone pick up FF7 on switch? Bit tempted. I have played the first few hours so many times and never really got further than that for no real reason

I've been toying with the idea and I'm in the same boat as you in that I've started it but never got past the first couple of hours. I played it when it first came out but hit a wall and could never figure out how to get past it so gave up. I bought it again on the PS3 but stopped quite early on. I think it would work better on the Switch as the visuals look horrible on a big TV. Trouble is I am currently working my way through FFIX for the first time which I am actually quite enjoying. The combat is a bit of a chore (like FF7) but the story is pretty good so I am still sticking with it.

After being wowed by the recent Nindies reveal of Cadence of Hyrule, I decided yesterday to give Crypt of The Necrodancer another bash. Despite liking it I really struggled to get in to the rhythm of it first time around but I am getting into it now after a couple of hours. It's a really fun game!

Man of Honour

Just buy another power supply and bring your existing dock. Unplug everything at the dock and leave the cables where they are.

Do not buy any of the third party solutions as there is a risk of bricking your console.

Associate

CEX sell them for ~£70 or try FB my Mrs got a dock for £40 including power cable only thing she had to get herself was a hdmi cable

Associate
Would you consider a third party adapter rather than a dock?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Nintendo-Converter-Macbook-Samsung/dp/B078RZQJ8D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-S..._5?ie=UTF8&qid=1534238869&sr=8-5&tag=nlife-21

Will need another power brick obv., there has been reports of third party ones bricking the console so buyer beware.

Lots of conflicting stories though, some people say it's fine as long as you use the official PSU as Nintendo didn't build the USB C port to industry spec and the adapters are causing it to draw too much power but I have no clue.
I thought unofficial docks/ adaptors bricked the switch?

Man of Honour
thanks for advice guys, i will also stop charging my switch with my pixel3 charger when i am being lazy :D :D :D
It's docked mode that poses the biggest risk as the Switch in docked mode doesn't follow the USB-C PD standards, but I am not comfortable saying there is no risk in handheld mode.

Associate
i've been using my phone charger from day 1 to charge my Switch in handheld mode, the standard power adapter isn't long enough for my needs but if i'm using the dock then the official adapter is used by default.
To solve your travel issue you could buy a used dock and then buy one of those small empty housing shells and transfer the dock PCB + type C port over into the small shell.
That way you have a travel friendly dock and it will be using the official Nintendo board + type C port, but you will still need to take the official power adapter.

Back
Top Bottom