Show Us Your Motors!

Associate
Well, if i am getting it done i will be doing the Polestar as opposed to Shark. Mine is the auto with the Geartronic, does that slip like a regular clutch?

Shark went bust so they're off limits :p

I wouldn't get the Polestar to be honest, they offer very poor value for money. I'd give Don at Kalmar Union a shout first and get the MTE map. They're Swedish Volvo tuners and have some of the best maps out there.

The geartronic can't support the same the power of the manual M66, they're torque limited and can break when pushing over 400nm of torque. They're fine on stage 1, though I'd get a gearbox flush first.

Caporegime
Shark went bust so they're off limits :p

I wouldn't get the Polestar to be honest, they offer very poor value for money. I'd give Don at Kalmar Union a shout first and get the MTE map. They're Swedish Volvo tuners and have some of the best maps out there.

The geartronic can't support the same the power of the manual M66, they're torque limited and can break when pushing over 400nm of torque. They're fine on stage 1, though I'd get a gearbox flush first.

I keep planning to get it done but my garage tells me the gearbox is sealed and meant to be lifetime.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Personally with the geartronic I wouldn't bother mapping it. It's straight forward changing a clutch if the added stress kills it, not so much the geartronic.

Associate
I keep planning to get it done but my garage tells me the gearbox is sealed and meant to be lifetime.

Volvo state the oil never needs changing but people change it. Volvo also still list 0w30 oil for T5's which has been proven many times to be far too light for these engines and can cause bottom end bearings to go.

Had a lengthy discussion with Tim about this and my Uncle (master tech at Volvo).

Tuners build these engines/gearboxes day in day out - Volvo dealers don't, they just replace them with a new one when they go wrong.

Caporegime
Volvo state the oil never needs changing but people change it. Volvo also still list 0w30 oil for T5's which has been proven many times to be far too light for these engines and can cause bottom end bearings to go.

Had a lengthy discussion with Tim about this and my Uncle (master tech at Volvo).

Tuners build these engines/gearboxes day in day out - Volvo dealers don't, they just replace them with a new one when they go wrong.

I run 0w30, and it is probably too thin because i need to top it up every 5k.

Associate

Will caveat with I have no experience of this but I assume given my V70 has 420Nm of torque standard and the Polestar factory remap pushes it to 460Nm it would be safe in that area?

205 hp / 310 lb/ft (420Nm) -> 225 hp / 339 lb/ft (460Nm)

Associate
Will caveat with I have no experience of this but I assume given my V70 has 420Nm of torque standard and the Polestar factory remap pushes it to 460Nm it would be safe in that area?

205 hp / 310 lb/ft (420Nm) -> 225 hp / 339 lb/ft (460Nm)

Yes, the geartronic in your car is different to the ones in the 'smaller' Volvo's. It still suffers some of the issues of the previous revision but it can handle torque much better.

Caporegime
Volvo Forums said:
The 2.4 T5 has a KKK turbocharger as fitted to the "R" along with various other bits from the R as well such as the induction system. It also has variable inlet valve timing in addition to the variable exhaust valve timing it had before.

The suspension was revised for the facelift to improve ride and handling and the car gets bigger brakes and calipers from the XC90.

In terms of power after a remap you have to take the figures with a pinch of salt but BSR say a stage 1 on the 2.3T5 gives 299bhp/408Nm and a stage 1 on the 2.4T5 gives 318bhp/445Nm. I have seen higher claims from other maps, notably the MTE.

So the main reason the 2.4 is better for power is because of the bigger turbo, K24 as opposed to K04.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Couple from when I picked it up the other week, replacing a Golf R.

The noises you can make this thing produce are silly :)

oN6fKDl.jpg

oVDrXru.jpg

Back
Top Bottom