What film did you watch last night?

Was expecting a response like this, how many kong movies have they made now with the inevitable aerial attack looking stupid? If they had some reason to get in close that was mentioned like the bullets not penetrating at longer range then i could buy that. But nope, they just put kamikaze pilots in charge apparently...Same routine since 1933.

Tongue in cheek response and I get your point but, when I go into movies like this then you just need to enjoy it for what it is and not focus on what should be realistic/sensible etc as it is a blockbuster action movie with where just about every scene is far fetched and unbelievable.

Caporegime
Tongue in cheek response and I get your point but, when I go into movies like this then you just need to enjoy it for what it is and not focus on what should be realistic/sensible etc as it is a blockbuster action movie with where just about every scene is far fetched and unbelievable.

I know its a popcorn flick but when i see stuff like that it's just "here we go again". Like i said if they made some comment about the bullets not penetrating at long range then fair enough, they've never attempted to do this any differently in all the Kong movies, when planes or helicopters are involved its always the same. Point blank strafing runs for no apparent reason.

Soldato
I disagree

He's not a "crap actor", he's a slightly above average actor and incredible stunt person with useful talents, such as driving, piloting etc.

Mission Impossible: Fallout is immense.

American Made was just...ok though

Agreed - Fallout was one of the best action movies I’ve ever seen - Certainly one of the best Mission Impossible movies yet :D

American Made has been on my “to-watch” list for a while - Shame it’s not been better received - I will get round to it one day though :)

Soldato
Overlord (2018) enjoyed it, over hyped a little but good film none the less 7/10

Seen debate few pages back about judging a film, it upsets one of my movie nerd fans deeply but after hour I tunrned off blade runner (first one) I was utterly bored the entire hour.

The film was great to look at and had nice art style but jesus wept it was a snore in the time I watched it, I felt like it was enough to judge the film and certainly enough to not give a crap about its sequel it got

Last edited:
Caporegime
I watched 'US' (Jordan Peele) last night.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it, it probably deserves it's own thread. I found it quite creepy up a point, and then it was engaging but towards the end there were some proper "WTF?" moments

There's clones of everyone in America? So, 300 million people live underground???

Who started this? Why?

They are all tethered to their 'free' person above? How?

What if someone above gets hit by a car, does the tethered person below die as well?

They all just eat rabbit? Well unfortunately that would literally kill you as the meat is too lean and humans needs fat/carbs as well

That stand has been there on the beach for 33 years, with nobody running it and nobody has found the secret door to below?

Good performances, some nice moments of tension, humour mostly fell flat, decent direction but the premise just doesn't hold up to scrutiny

And was it me, or did the the young boy look like he was smiling/trying not to laugh when the two 'families' were face to face in the living room?

I don't even know what i'd rate it - 8/10 for the first half and 5/10 for the last half.

Soldato
Oh wow...was quite hyped for this and was planning to see it, what were the issues with it?

Was thinking the same, but I’ve now seen a few reviews saying it’s not great.

I didn't like the character Elle, the young daughter. Also some stupid things, one shown in the trailer, like no one noticing a huge truck speeding down a road yards from the house until its pulling it's horn as it goes by at 1000 db. This happens multiple times.

I think it's just modern "horror" films, Horror and Sci-Fi being my favourite genres, being about jump scares which whilst they can make you jump, unless telegraphed before hand and it's easy to see when they're coming in this film, they're not scary.

I just didn't enjoy it.

Man of Honour
I didn't like the character Elle, the young daughter. Also some stupid things, one shown in the trailer, like no one noticing a huge truck speeding down a road yards from the house until its pulling it's horn as it goes by at 1000 db. This happens multiple times.

I think it's just modern "horror" films, Horror and Sci-Fi being my favourite genres, being about jump scares which whilst they can make you jump, unless telegraphed before hand and it's easy to see when they're coming in this film, they're not scary.

I just didn't enjoy it.

hmm, in light of this and other reviews I may wait a bit and grab this on sky/prime/netflix instead then

Associate
Shazam! (2019) - 8/10

A fun and entertaining superhero movie with a good amount of humour.

The more comical take on the origin story works really well, and the moral message fits in nicely between the serious story and light hearted hijinks.

It’s a bit too long and the fight scenes could have been better, but the characters are likeable and believable, and the actors fit into their roles well.

Man of Honour
Rainman 9/10
I've seen and reviewed this a couple of times recently. But each time I watch it I'm just blown away by the acting of Tom Cruise and especially Dustin Hoffman. It's an amazing performance by Hoffman. One of my favourite films of all time.

Caporegime
Fury

Odd film. It feels like it wants to be deeper than an action flick with scenes that feel like they're intended to convey the psychological horror of war and step above the good-vs-bad narratives but it closes with a massacre all the nameless Nazis finale finished with one of the Nazis showing more humanity than the crew of the tank do. It's decent action flick with credible performances but the tone feels inconsistent and ultimately I'll judged.

7/10

Soldato
Yeah it's good and it's a shame it never got a sequel as there was potential there for more stories.
Yes apparently there is 30 other books/stories. The performance by the cast was solid and it portrayed a pretty good feeling of what it must have been like for sailors in those days out at sea for so long.

The sound track was also pretty good, it reminded me of the music in Empire Total War. 8/10 for me.

Soldato
I watched Avengers Infinity war last night as well. What can i say..... i love the main plot of the struggle between the forces that protect the Earth and the balance that Thanos is trying to achieve with its over population, i really like the way they try to humanise him for us instead of making him just some sort of unfeeling alien.

Now for the bad stuff and i personally think there is loads to touch on here. All the sub plots such as the Guardians of the Galaxy involvement is just kinda lost in the movie as it is trying to do so much in such a small period of time. The amount of characters and individual stories that it tries to play out are just too much to fit into the movie and in the end it all seemed a bit substandard.

Plus whats with all the energy and explosions blowing up all around these characters and them not having a scratch on them but as soon as anyone uses a blade and stabs them with something its instant win? I mean what about all the falls and wall smashes everyone goes through? Also........ where the hell was Thor at the end? Everyone fights Thanos for like 40 minutes and Thor just turns up right at the end and finishes the fight but beating Thanos in like 10 seconds flat? What was he doing for the last 40 minutes? You cant say he was just flying around smashing up those alien dog things as he would have come to his friends help right at the beginning.

Dont get me wrong, over all i liked the movie but there was some really lack luster moments that dulled the experience. When you are actually routing for the bad guy to win in a movie there must be something substandard with the good guys right?

Back
Top Bottom