iPad Air 2019 Vs iPad Pro 2017

Soldato
I'm considering upgrading my iPad Air 2 with the release of the iPad Air 3 (iPad Air 2019). After reading a few reviews and watching some on YouTube, I'm actually wondering if the new iPad Air is actually worth the upgrade from my Air 2 and if a refurb iPad Pro from 2017 is a better bet?

I know this might sound a bit strange but in certain areas the new iPad Air is a bit of a let down and no better than the previous Air 2 (namely the camera) and has been designed to fill a gap in the iPad line up.

iPad Air 2019 Specs
  • A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
  • Embedded M12 coprocessor
  • 10.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
  • 2224x1668 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)
  • Wide colour display (P3)
  • True Tone display
  • Fully laminated display
  • 1.8% reflectivity
  • 500 nits brightness
  • Supports Apple Pencil
  • 8MP Camera
  • 7MP FaceTime HD Camera
  • Stereo Speakers
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • 30.2 Watt Hour Battery (Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi‐Fi, watching video or listening to music)
iPad Pro 2017 Specs
  • A10X Fusion chip
  • Embedded M10 coprocessor
  • 10.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
  • 2224x1668 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)
  • ProMotion technology
  • Wide colour display (P3)
  • True Tone display
  • Fully laminated display
  • Supports Apple Pencil
  • 12MP iSight Camera with Quad LED Flash
  • 7MP FaceTime HD Camera
  • Quad Speakers
  • Bluetooth 4.2
  • 30.2 Watt Hour Battery (Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi‐Fi, watching video or listening to music)

The iPad Pro 2017 has the advantage of a ProMotion display, better camera with the ability to record 4K video and Quad Speakers. Yes, the iPad Air 2019 has a faster SoC in the A12 but the A10X is still delivers great performance.

I guess what I'm asking is am I crazy to be considering a refurb 2017 Pro over the new Air?

Man of Honour
Can't comment on the new Air but I have the 2017 Pro and the speakers are rather impressive for its size. I've used it quite often on a holiday where I don't want to drag anything bigger around and it performs like it should be a much bigger device.

Soldato
OP
Can't comment on the new Air but I have the 2017 Pro and the speakers are rather impressive for its size. I've used it quite often on a holiday where I don't want to drag anything bigger around and it performs like it should be a much bigger device.

I mainly use my iPad as a media/web browsing device so the speakers and promotion display really appeal to me. I don't tend to take a lot of photos/video with my iPad (use my iPhone for that) but it's good to know that if I where to use it the photo results would actually be very good.
The 2017 Pro (10.5" 64GB Wifi) are £449.00 on the refurb store, and I can get a further discount through a friend I have that works for Apple probably bringing it down to sub £400. AppleCare+ at £129.00 is where the cost is though.

The question remains though am I being stupid looking at a 2yr old iPad, should I just make do with my Air 2 (still a functional device) and see what happens at WWDC with iOS 13 support and look again then?

Associate
Had the new Air for nearly a week now, really impressed with the speed and pencil support.

Been using AutoCAD on it tonight surprisingly good, as I spend most of my day using cad at work on a pc.

This was an upgrade from my original Air which has done me well, found it hard to justify the cost of the latest pro.

Cheers all

Soldato
OP
Had the new Air for nearly a week now, really impressed with the speed and pencil support.

Been using AutoCAD on it tonight surprisingly good, as I spend most of my day using cad at work on a pc.

This was an upgrade from my original Air which has done me well, found it hard to justify the cost of the latest pro.

Cheers all

I’m finding it hard to justify the cost of the new Pro and think it’s overkill for my needs as well. I don’t doubt for a second the performance of the A12 in the new iPad Air is anything else but great.

I just can’t help but think the new Air is a comprise product, built to a price point hence why I’m still considering the 2017 iPad Pro. Just wondering if the Quad Speakers and ProMotion display are worth the trade off.

The 2017 Pro has an A10X with 4GB RAM while the new iPad Air has an A12 with 3GB RAM. I know that iOS has great hardware optimisation. I just can’t decide what would be a better buy and offer greater longevity.

I have the Air, came from the iPad 2018. Love it. Nice screen and does everything that I need. Less likely to use my desktop as I find myself grabbing this instead.

Glad you like the new Air. The difference a laminated display makes is quite something.

Last edited:
Soldato
You haven't really documented where your current ipad is failing at, and what you want your new ipad to bring to the table.

Once you can clarify whats lacking and what its failing at for what you use it for, I think its easier to recommend where to go next.

I have an ipad pro and nearly got sold on buying the newer thinner bezel ipad with the magnetic apple pencil, despite the fact I haven't used my apple pencil after the first couple of months I bought it, and my ipad is currently basically just a portable gym film player and in bed browser for when my laptop is low on battery. The review also reminded me how limited IOS is, and I came to my senses and decided not to upgrade. I'd really try to sort out WHY you need to upgrade first.

Soldato
OP
You haven't really documented where your current ipad is failing at, and what you want your new ipad to bring to the table.

Once you can clarify whats lacking and what its failing at for what you use it for, I think its easier to recommend where to go next.

I have an ipad pro and nearly got sold on buying the newer thinner bezel ipad with the magnetic apple pencil, despite the fact I haven't used my apple pencil after the first couple of months I bought it, and my ipad is currently basically just a portable gym film player and in bed browser for when my laptop is low on battery. The review also reminded me how limited IOS is, and I came to my senses and decided not to upgrade. I'd really try to sort out WHY you need to upgrade first.

I use my Air 2 similar to you for movies, occasional games and as a sofa/bed browser. It’s still ok for my needs, can be a little bit slow on occasions with multitasking and battery life isn’t what it once was however.

I realise I won’t get an answer to my next concern until WWDC. I’m wondering if it will receive iOS 13 and if it does continue to receive support how will it perform.

Soldato
I use my Air 2 similar to you for movies, occasional games and as a sofa/bed browser. It’s still ok for my needs, can be a little bit slow on occasions with multitasking and battery life isn’t what it once was however.

I realise I won’t get an answer to my next concern until WWDC. I’m wondering if it will receive iOS 13 and if it does continue to receive support how will it perform.

Ahh if your use-case is similar to me, I'd definitely wait.

If you want to upgrade, you really should get an ipad which has a higher refresh rate screen. I've compared mine to my Mum's which is one of the new models and everything is the same. Sure things pop up a bit quicker, the speakers are better, the bezels are way smaller, and things seem a bit more slicker in regards to speed.. but the main QOL improvement has to be the high refresh rate screen which just makes everything feel like butter.

Given you use your ipad exactly how I do, I think the higher refresh rate will definitely make you feel like you've made a smart-ish upgrade. The others will just feel a bit snappier but ultimately, a very similar experience.

Sure the 2017 model will become irrelavant a year or two sooner than the 2019 air, but the speakers and higher refresh rate screen are way more important towards your end-user experience for a media consumption device like an ipad.

The best advice is to simply not update until your iPad no longer suits your needs. I struggle to justifying upgrading ipads to the newest generation given how backwards IOS is. The simplicity is really nice for iphones but for the ipad, I feel like there is a ridiculous amount of untapped power which is just wasted.

Soldato
OP
I finally managed to pop in to my local Apple Store today and spent some time with the new 2019 iPad Air and the new 2018 iPad Pro.

The display on the new iPad Air is lovely, I was really surprised just how taken I was with it. It's actually a nice upgrade coming from an iPad Air 2. Performance was very nice indeed and I'm a fan of the reduced bezels and the 10.5" form factor.
I then spent some time with the 2018 iPad Pro....WOW! It's an impressive bit of engineering! I said the new Air is a big upgrade coming from an iPad Air 2, then the 2018 iPad Pro is a MASSIVE jump! The form factor is superb, I had never used an iPad with a ProMotion display before and the difference is quite something!

As taken as I was with the new 2019 iPad Air, having used a ProMotion display now I definitely want one with my next iPad.

So my choice has been shifted a bit to either the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" or the 2018 iPad Pro 11". I'm still hoping the iPad Air 2 will continue to be supported in iOS 13 when it's debuted at WWDC in June, but given recent leaks I've got my doubts.

Soldato
I went from an iPad Pro 10.5 to iPad Pro 11. The extra screen is nice and the next gen Apple Pencil charging is a nice improvement.

Apart from those, I dont see the difference between the two.

Soldato
Well yeah upgrading too often just gets you incremental upgrades, which is why I only upgrade my iPhone and Apple Watch every 2 years and my iPad less so, I went from the iPad Pro 9.7" to the iPad Pro 11 so got a much bigger upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom