**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato

The national deal 10% off all tyres, combined with the michelin offer seems a good price too, ymmv

just deciding between trying Michelin cross climates, or just replacing current dunlop efficient grip .. since only £10per corner more for Michelin with this.

michelin site doesn't seem to say how long deal lasts https://www.rewardpromotions.co.uk/mfgc.v2/Welcome
[ had heard of kleber ... but didn't know they are michelin
Spring Promotion
For purchases from 1st February 2019, please select from the codes below:
UK:
Michelin tyres - use MIS19
Kleber tyres - use KLS19
]

edit https://www.rewardpromotions.co.uk/mfgc.v2/TermsAndConditions

4. There is a purchase requirement. Claimants must purchase two or more MICHELIN car, van or 4x4 tyres in a single transaction for a single vehicle between 1 March and 30 April 2019.

6. Promotion only available at participating tyre dealers. A list of participating dealers can be found at www.michelin.co.uk or by calling the Michelin helpline number on 01908 228342. If you are in doubt please ask your tyre dealer if your purchase will qualify for this promotion in advance of your purchase.

7. Closing date and time for receipt of claims is midnight 31 May 2019.

Only one claim per vehicle is permitted. Entry into this Promotion cannot be in conjunction with any other offer. Lost, incomplete, invalid, illegible or late claims will not be accepted. The Promoter reserves the right to dispute a claim if it believes the claim is not legitimate and amend, suspend or cancel the Promotion where it becomes necessary to do so. The Promoter’s decision is final.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well I've bought some TR-1's the long awaited replacement for the antiquated (and by todays standards, poor) T1-R. (Rubbish choice of name if you ask me, since lots of people accidentally call the T1-R the TR-1...)

Tread pattern looks very similar to the Rainsport 3. No reviews that I can find, apart from people reviewing the T1-R and calling it the TR-1.

https://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/new-proxes-tr1

Will report back on how they are...

(225 45 17 XL - Going on a Volvo S60)

Last edited:
Soldato
If I have black circles deliver to a local garage :

what's a good price to negotiate with them for a fitting/valve/balance/disposal ? should you be able to beat £10/corner (down south)

edit : caught my eye at f1as

Add Precision Balance Upgrade to your order for just £3.00 per tyre

With every tyre you buy, we offer a FREE Standard Wheel Balance. However, for a small additional cost, we would recommend that you upgrade to a Precision Wheel Balance.

This procedure ensures that your wheels will be balanced to match your vehicle's specifcation, providing a more accurate balance that ultimately produces a smoother ride and a more economical tyre performance.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Whether thats worth it will depend on what they actually do and using what kit.

Wheel balance is an absolute bugbear of mine - very few places ever get it spot on or put in the effort required and many balancing machines are simply not capable of balancing a wheel as close to perfect as reasonably possible. It took me YEARS to finally get my wheels and tyres balanced to the point at which they were completely smooth on smooth roads.

Soldato
Whether thats worth it will depend on what they actually do and using what kit.

Wheel balance is an absolute bugbear of mine - very few places ever get it spot on or put in the effort required and many balancing machines are simply not capable of balancing a wheel as close to perfect as reasonably possible. It took me YEARS to finally get my wheels and tyres balanced to the point at which they were completely smooth on smooth roads.

Agreed. A few years back I had a supposedly reputable place associated with an online tyre chain (think it was blackcircles) fit some tyres. Noticed the guy didn’t bother balancing them at all, when questioned he said they “didn’t need it”. Drove off and sure enough, massive vibration above 50MPH and I had to go straight back to them, luckily got a different guy who sorted it out.

The best places I’ve found have been the Jag main dealer and weirdly, a cheap, dodgy looking local place. Even fancy places seem perfectly capable of damaging and misbalancing your wheels, price doesn’t seem to be any guarantee of quality.

Associate
Same experience here, been to loads of places over the years that look reputable and it's mostly been a dodgy job. Found a place just near my parents, literally a single bay garage on the end of a petrol station. You'd never give it a second look but it's the most professional service I've had from a tyre shop. The guy works on his own and has been in the tyre business for 15 years, so he was telling me. Managed to put tyres on a brand new set of wheels without a single mark and balanced up perfectly, even lined up the dots on the tyres with the valves as intended!

Soldato
after having read through this older balancing thread https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=53904
look like accurate balance could be 0.1g tolerance and 5g normally, they suggest alloy rims may have difficulty for accurate weight positioning,
and two resonant frequencies/speeds where you could see vibration .. will check out if the balancing machine is a Hunter (like the f1as alignment machines are)

afterthought - given I pay council tax, should dispose of the old tyres myself at the tip, and save a pint of beer ?

Caporegime
Initial impressions of the new TR-1, they seem infinitely better than the outgoing T1-R in the wet, handle quite a lot of speed through bends and the grip trails off progressively on the ragged edge, they are also very quiet when rolling compared with various other midrange tyres like Falken Ze914's which I have tried in the past.

The tread pattern combined with the fact that they are not sided does mean that on the nearside the tread pattern will channel standing water towards the middle of the tyre, which is something that lots of similar asymmetrical tyres have done wrong, like the Rainsport 3 for example, which has a remarkably similar tread pattern.

Ultimately though they seem to offer good performance so far for the price, they are only £210 a set in 225 45 17 94Y XL, which is cheaper even than the Kingstar ditch finders previously fitted to the car, and they were hopeless to the point of spinning up when I floored it in 3rd at 2500RPM.

Haven't had a chance to drive with them in the dry yet but I'll see how they are and report back if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Thanks to this thread, I discovered Assymetric 5s. Told my dad to shove them on his GTI. Ordered them last week and they arrived - production week 11. Impressive!

Should be better than the 8 year-old SportMaxx they replace :p

Soldato
Thanks to this thread, I discovered Assymetric 5s. Told my dad to shove them on his GTI. Ordered them last week and they arrived - production week 11. Impressive!

Should be better than the 8 year-old SportMaxx they replace :p

Yep I just had 4 Asymmetric 5's fitted to my MX-5. I thought on the old Bridgestone's the car was planted and quite grippy, but the Goodyears are another level. Would be interesting to test them back to back with PS4's, but I'm more than happy with these.

Only downsides are it not being as playful in the dry, and the added grip is only accentuating the MX-5's bodyroll.

Soldato
Wheel balance is an absolute bugbear of mine -

so the guy at National confirmed that 5g are the smallest weights that they have, anyway; and, told me weights should be in grouped in one location on each face of the rim,
for some reason the wheel they replaced the tyre on (nail right at the edge of contact patch) had a couple of weights at different locations ? new goodyear efficient grip

they are only £210 a set in 225 45 17 94Y XL
ooi where did you get them ... fitting not included ?

Associate
afterthought - given I pay council tax, should dispose of the old tyres myself at the tip, and save a pint of beer ?
Most places will still charge you for disposal even if you keep the tyres. Bought/sold a fair amount of second hand wheels for which I always put new UHP tyres on. This meant that I was always left with tyres of 5-6mm thread that I didn't throw away but sold on ebay to recoup some of the wheel expenditure. Nobody refunded me the ~£2 per tyre for disposal.

Got a new set of Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 (just before the 5 were actually available on the market) - same as I remember them for ages ago - very comfortable and compliant (compared to the incredibly bouncy 18" runflats) and with a very respectable amount of grip, given the 500+ lbft torque.
A bit poor when the tyres are cold though, I had a few instances when I was pulling out on a main road from the car park and the wheelspin until I straightened the car was pretty shocking. Open diff doesn't help I guess!

Associate
I bought a VW scirocco tsi gt last week and the front tyres will need replacing soon not sure to go for continental sport contact 6, Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 or ones I used to always use on my type r pirelli p zero. I don't drive fast just acceleration for round abouts and overtaking really and I do around 8k miles a year.
I don't know much about cars but always use v power, castrol edge titanium and get decent tyres usually around mid range £120 a tyre. I believe if you look after the car it will look after you and be reliable well that's way I like to think it works

Associate
Had Contisport Contact 6 on my F30 - very good grip - fantastic in the wet and dry and they lasted nearly 20k miles on the rear. Very loud though (car did have poor soundproofing) - for still very good performance but a bit more comfort Id recommend Eagle F1 Assy 3.

Associate
I always thought pirelli were the best with continental and Bridgestone up there with pirelli while Goodyear and Dunlop and next tier not quite as good ass them. It's only now I been reading forum I realise maybe they not as bad as I thought. I don't mind paying up to £150 a tyre if its worth it but £200 a tyre is too much for me. I have 18" tyres. Contisport continental not the better tyres overall? Thank you for your recommendation as I say I don't know much about cars

Caporegime
I always thought pirelli were the best with continental and Bridgestone up there with pirelli while Goodyear and Dunlop and next tier not quite as good ass them. It's only now I been reading forum I realise maybe they not as bad as I thought. I don't mind paying up to £150 a tyre if its worth it but £200 a tyre is too much for me. I have 18" tyres. Contisport continental not the better tyres overall? Thank you for your recommendation as I say I don't know much about cars

Michelin PS4 are pretty much the best around. Have a look at them.

Associate
In my experience Pirelli are rather inconsistent - some models are good, some pretty average. Bridgestone are decent, but I've had quite a few instances in the past where I've seen 2-3year old tyres with sever cracking and aging and I wasn't impressed.

Goodyear, Continental and Michelin are imho the "top 3" each with their strengths and weaknesses. It's a bit of a "do you like Canon or Nikon, BMW or Mercedes" type of question. Whether is Goodyear Assymetric 3, Conti CS6 or Micheling PS4, they are all good and there is no wrong choice.
If performance is the main focus, I do agree Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are probably the best around, although review and tests vary wildly from what I've seen.
I think CS6 are just as good, but rather noisy. Goodyear Eagle Assy 3 are still very good performance wise, but with softer sidewalls and lower tyre roar they are in my opinion the better day to day tyre - simply more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom